Green Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Previous Book Clubs > History of Science: Darwin - A Life in Science by Michael White

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M (last edited May 02, 2010 03:21PM) (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) | 337 comments Touching on all essentials, Darwin: A Life in Science is a must read for all those who have slightest curiosity about the Origin of mankind or how actually nature works. This book is also a fine, excellent introduction for readers new to Charles Darwin's ideas.

Here's one of famous Darwin's quote from his book Origin of Species

" There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."

So, let's start the discussion with the most revolutionary biologist of the 19th century !

message 2: by M (last edited May 15, 2010 10:34AM) (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) | 337 comments Darwin: A Life in Science is The History of Science month's book. In addition to the book club's discussion, a quizz " Who is Darwin ? " will complete our discussions. A quizz about the man, the biologist and also a quizz about his book Origin of Species

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 3: by M (last edited Aug 17, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) | 337 comments On The Origin of Species (NYTIMES, August 17, 2010)

2009 was the 150th anniversary of the publication of "On the Origin of Species." As with many original sources, it is known mostly by reputation but Darwin's writing can still offer surprises, insights and pleasures. It can be sampled here, with selections by prominent scientists of their favorite passages.

http://documents.nytimes.com/charles-...

message 4: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Hmm interesting. The only Darwin I've read so far is Voyage of the Beagle- must find more and this book on the man sounds interesting.

message 5: by M (last edited Aug 18, 2010 08:05AM) (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) | 337 comments Larry wrote: "Hmm interesting. The only Darwin I've read so far is Voyage of the Beagle- must find more and this book on the man sounds interesting."

Darwin: A Life in Science is a must read and a great introduction to Charles Darwin's ideas. You'll find " On the Origin of Species " his notable book at this link http://documents.nytimes.com/charles-... with a selections by prominent scientists of their favorite passages. Really interesting, too.

message 6: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) I tried to read " On the Origin of Species " a long time-quite hard to read.

message 7: by M (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) | 337 comments Please, can you explain ... What do you mean by ...." I tried to read " On the Origin of Species " a long time-quite hard to read " ?

message 8: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Well people wrote and spoke differently in the 19th century and Origin of Species is very technical-not for the layman. Not very accessible.

message 9: by M (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) | 337 comments Larry wrote: "Well people wrote and spoke differently in the 19th century and Origin of Species is very technical-not for the layman. Not very accessible."

Charles Darwin was the most revolutionary biologist of the 19th century. His ideas are always discuss, annotate and comment as you can read it at the recent link added but with the glance of biologists, scientists and readers of our 21th century.
"Voyage of The Beagle", also known as Charles Darwin's " Journal of Researches " , is a vivid and exciting travel memoir as well as a detailed scientific field journal covering Biology, Geology, and Anthropology. During the voyage on "The Beagle", Charles Darwin has written some notes which include comments illustrating his changing views at a time when he was developing his theory on " Origin of Species "

message 10: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Yes I had a copy of Voyage of the Beagle and read it. Took me a long time to read.

message 11: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 9 comments Snoopy the Beagle might be easier to read.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.