Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Vampire Rules for diffrent Authors....

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 138 comments I thought it would be fun to compare diffrent vampire series. And see what diffrent powers or rules our favorite authors apply to their personal vamps.

Twilight:
1. They don't sleep
2. Can go out in the daytime, but must stay in the shade.
3. Eyes change color after they feed.
4. Skin is cold.

O.K. You guys take it from here......

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 138 comments Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward
1. Vampires are born not "made"
2. Drink Blood, but usually from a vampire of the opposite sex.
3. Bonded Males let off a dark spiced scent.
4. Eat Food
5. Can not go out in Daylight.
6. Humans are unaware of Vampires or The Lessers
7. Vampires have powers over humans and their thoughts.

The Becoming (Anna Strong, #1) by Jeanne C. Stein
1. Vampires CAN go out in the daytime
2. Garlic makes them sick
3. They do not have a reflection in mirrors
4. Must Drink Blood, but they don't have to kill donors

message 3: by Stav (new)

Stav (voliotisa) | 291 comments great topic.... I recently had a debate with someone who said vampires who can go out in sunlight are not vampires (referring to Twilight). He was trying to bash it, but I think I won the argument.

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 138 comments Stav wrote: "great topic.... I recently had a debate with someone who said vampires who can go out in sunlight are not vampires (referring to Twilight). He was trying to bash it, but I think I won the argument."

There are alot of "not vampires" out there. SMILE I think you won that debate, FOR SURE!!!

message 5: by Stav (last edited Mar 11, 2010 05:01PM) (new)

Stav (voliotisa) | 291 comments I know. I told him there are many many vampire stories out there, and then I mentioned Anne Rice and he had no comment :)

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments What about some vampire books like the Sookie Stackhouse series where the vampire has to be invited in? Same thing for The Vampire Diaries.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
A Quick Bite (Argeneau, #1) by Lynsay Sands Vamps were "scientifically" created in Atlantis. Can go out in sun (but tend to not to because of the damage it causes,) CAN eat "real food", while stronger than humans, are not supermen, have a LOT of laws as well as their own version of a police force, CAN get pregnant (or get their wives/girlfriends pregnant) do have telepathic powers and can control humans to a certain extent, have a "life mate" who they can NOT read or control, can be either born (to vampire mother) or made, also, some of them have no fangs, and tend to go insane. Um, think that's the major points for them.

The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley Cole 2 different "classes" of vampires--the Evil Horde--and the "good" Forebearers. Are part of an entire "subculture" (called "The Lore") comprised of all of the mythical creatures ever conceived of. Can be either "born" or "made". Have a "Bride" (for male vampires, not sure what the male version is called, since its never actually mentioned) who will "blood" them (i.e., bring them back to life) and whom the will do anything to care for/protect. After Blooded, can sire children, but are required to eat "real" food in order to do it. Can not go out in sunlight. Have a lot of powers--telepathy, teleportation, able to control humans/many others of The Lore. Are shunned by most of the other members of the Lore, without regard to being Horde or Forebearers, since many of the other members of the Lore believe that its just a matter of time before any vamp goes "evil". OOOHHH--and one that I really loved--the way to tell a "good" vamp from an "evil" one is by their eyes--the Horde have eyes that are blood red. Most members of the Horde are insane, driven that way by the memories of all the victims that they have "drunk to the death".
Ok, there's MY contribution to this conversation.

message 8: by Stacie (new)

Stacie H. (staciemh) | 75 comments I used to have a whole spreadsheet devoted to this topic before my computer crashed and all my files disappered....anyways, fun topic! Okay, so, here are my two contributions:

Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian
1. Are born not made
2. Vampires are only male
3. They are descended from a group of aliens
4. Can eat small amounts of real food, but mainly
drink blood (but don't have to kill)
5. Cannot go out in the sun, but do for a few minutes
in respect of the dead
6. Eyes glow amber when they feed
7. Body is covered with tatto-like dermaglyphs that are more intricate the purer the vampire is (closer to the alien forefathers). They dermaglyphs change color based on mood and hunger - much like a mood ring.
8. Mate with breedmates who have a birthmark and special ability that is then passed on to the sons.

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
1. Three types of vampires: White Court, Red Court, and Black Court
2. Black Court are the undead variety that are made; cannot stand garlic, crucifixes or sunlight; and can only survive off of blood.
3. White Court are born and feed off of human emotions rather than blood and otherwise are just like regular humans.
4. Red Court are made vampires that become almost like another species. They have addictive suliva and feed off of blood. They appear human, but will shed their human skin and turn into leathery bat-like creatures. They also cannot go into sunlight.

message 9: by Shirla (new)

Shirla Ghadaki (sjghadaki) | 21 comments Don't you just love the different worlds the authors set up for their particular breed of vampire. Sometimes it gets confusing and I have to stop and remember which world I'm reading about at that particular time. Most do agree that vampires need blood, can't be in the sunlight, are basically dead in the daytime, are very strong and fast.

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Hyde (ittybittybee) | 28 comments Yeah its awesome to see so many different points of view. Its really cool. I love to read the differences between different series.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 138 comments Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin
1. Vampire's turn to ash when staked.
2. Vampire's must sleep during the day, light can kill them.
3. The older the vampire is the more "power" they have.
4. Blood Drinking; bagged blood is O.K., When drinking from alive donor, usually they don't kill them.

Evermore (Darkyn, #5) by Lynn Viehl
1. Vampires are called the "Darklyn"
2. Each Vampire has a diffrent flower scent. Ex. Roses
3. The "Darklyn" think that they are cursed. Because they came about after the "Black Plague"
4. They haven't been able to make more of their kind until lately, because their blood is deadly to humans.

Come on people, this is fun!

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 138 comments Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz
1. Don't become vampires until they are teenagers.
2. Vampires come over on the Mayflower
3. There is a breed of Humans that serve them handed down from family to family
4. Sometimes eat raw meat...

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 449 comments Hotel Transylvania
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's series

1. If a vampire feeds on you more than a certain number of times you will become a vampire when you die or they can exchange blood to create a vampire
2. vampires can go out in sunlight and cross running water as long as they line their shoes with their native earth
3. vampires can die if the spine is severed or by burning

message 14: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (toastqueen) Can I say I get sooo confused when I start switching books around, as to what the "rules" are? I'm having trouble keeping it straight!