Start by marking “Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1)” as Want to Read:
Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1)

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

(Jaz Parks #1)

I'm Jaz Parks. My boss is Vayl, born in Romania in 1744. Died there too, at the hand of his vampire wife, Liliana. But that's ancient history. For the moment Vayl works for the C.I.A. doing what he does best--assassination. And I help. You could say I'm an Assistant Assassin. But then I'd have to kick your ass.

Our current assignment seemed easy. Get close to a Miami
Published October 8th 2007 by Orbit

Start your review of Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1)
Seth
Dec 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
I read a lot of this subgenre (light, modern fantasy with a horror twist and usually a female protag). This book and series is getting a lot of press and a heavy and fast push to get more out, putting it in the more-mainstream and lighter-weight end of the spectrum. Combined with the garish cover, the horrible "Meet Jaz Parks in..." cover copy and the cover quotes clearly intended for non-genre readers, I expected a guilty pleasure at best.

It's better than that, fortunately, but not as much
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Once Bitten, Twice Shy was a fun read. I thought the storyline was interesting, and I liked the characters. Jaz is a tough heroine, but she’s also got the gooey, humane center that makes a heroine more realistic and likable to me. I am a sucker for a smart-aleck, wisecracking lead character, and Jaz can definitely hold her own. I identified with her in her complicated family dynamics. I liked that family was important to her, even though she was also in a very involving career. She’s a good ...more
AH

As I started reading this book, I felt a tinge of déjà vu. The main character is a kick-ass girl, and assassin. The main male character was a vampire. I then thought of the Night Huntress series and began comparing the two. Well that’s not very fair of me. The two series are very different, and I like each series on their own. So here begins my review.

Jasmine Parks or Jaz is an assassin for the CIA. Her claim to fame seems to be the amount of car wreckage she seems to leave behind in
Tamora Pierce
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woot! Another vampire hunter, female, kicks major @ss, makes almost enough smart remarks to annoy (but not quite), now teamed up with a very hot vampire who came across in the 1700s. They are government operatives, he legendary, she big tough, who are partnered because he asked for her, which leaves her much confused. They hunt bad guys of all stripes for the CIA: evil vampires, terrorists, big nasty transdimensional things, and magic critters. She is the lone survivor of a strike team that was ...more
Catherine
I'm really starting to feel like there are no good first books in a UF series. This one certainly doesn't buck that trend. It seems like there were interesting ideas, but everything felt so underdeveloped that I didn't care.

Jaz's personality was extremely irritating in the first part of the book. She seemed determined to out bitch the bitchiest heroines in UF that came before her. I don't mind a tough personality and a little snark, I actually enjoy those things. But moderation is key. If you
Katie
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Before I started reading 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy' I had read several reviews that claimed that this was a good book, a great book even. But in no way was I prepared for how truly wonderful Once Bitten, Twice Shy turned out to be. I loved it, plain and simple as that.

The story kicks off with Jaz and Vayl working together in Miami. Vayl is a vampire assassin, one of the CIA’s best, and Jaz is his bodyguard/assistant assassin. Six months previously Vayl had requested that she be assigned to him,
Amanda
Jul 16, 2010 rated it did not like it
In a genre that contains such heavy-hitters as Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison, Jennifer Rardin's debut novel is heralded as a fresh new take on the 'paranormal fantasy' (or whatever tag it is going by these days!) spectrum.

Indeed, the idea that the main character is a CIA operative is intriguing, and the vamp/supernatural elements of the story are dropped in without any painful info-dumps or unnecessary explanations.

In fact, the whole story invites you to cling onto a *very* bumpy ride and
Carien
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: uf
2018 review:

I've read this book before in 2011, but couldn't remember a thing! Usually this is a bad sign. My brain has the habit of blocking books and movies I hated. Still, my review from back then didn't sound ranty, and I even stated being willing to try a second book in the series. As I could get the first 5 book in this series for a steal at the charity shop I decided to give this series another chance and reread this book.

And this is an enjoyable read. My brain must have decided to also
Yvette
Jul 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: tried-to-read
Felicia
Apr 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vampire fans
This book is not great. I say that off the top to anyone who picks it up after reading what I have to say, because I don't want any nagging or resentment. The characters are pretty cliche'd, they don't even act sensically from chapter to chapter. What this book does provide (along with the other 4 I've read in the series) is just a fun popcorn snack of cliches that I gobbled up and had a ton of fun reading. If you're into mindless action-adventure vampire stuff (think Anita blake meets James ...more
Sayuri_x
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2008
Once Bitten, Twice Shy revolves around a smart, sassy, paranoid, crazy and dangerous to know in a ‘Lethal Weapon’ kind of way, female character Jasmine ‘Jaz’ Parks. She works for the CIA with her boss, Vayl, who is a 291 year old vampire. (played in this reader’s imagination by Gerard Bulter…gulp.) Vayl is one of the good guys. He has chosen to live in peaceful co-existence with humans. Working for the CIA as an assassin helps him channel his ‘agression’. In this first installment Jaz and Vayl ...more
fleurette
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I think I had too high expectations about this book. I still liked it but it isn't as good as I was hoping.

Jaz is working for CIA and is paired with a very old vampire. They are a team of killers. While on the mission they come into a bigger scheme than they thought. The case of a plastic surgeon supporting terrorists turns out to be a plan to spread a virus between the vampires around the world. Jaz and Vayl have to stop it before it is too late.

I generally liked the plot and the characters.
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
Once Bitten, Twice Shy is one of those fast-paced urban fantasy novels that grabs you from the start and brings you on a wild ride full of action, fights and intrigue.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Cheryl La Pa
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Thoroughly enjoyable read. Loved the writing style, the characters and the paranormal world. I was intrigued with Vahl and Jazz, and loved how they worked so well together, complementing each other. I want to know more about them - their pasts, their secrets and what will happen next. I'll definitely be reading the next book in this series.
Susan (susayq ~)

While I liked the overall premise of the book (it reminded me of Cat and Bones a bit), Jaz confused me often. I'm not quite sure if she thinks (view spoiler) is what makes her think she's crazy and makes her sort of talk to herself. Vayl has huge potential and I think he really likes her, could possibly even love her. I'll have to read more and find out ;)
Anne
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I hadn't heard much about the Jaz Parks series, so I guess I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. I loved the action/spy stuff! There were also enough James Bond-like gadgets to made me clap my hands and squeal!
Shaitarn
Dec 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Books like this are the reason why I don’t like urban fantasy as much as I want to.

Vayl is the CIA’s top assassin. He’s a 291 year old vampire who is assigned a new partner. Jasmine Parkes (AKA ‘Jaz’) is officially his bodyguard but in reality is working as is partner/assistant /apprentice after Bad things Happened in Her Past.

The plot summary may make it sound as though Vayl (I never did decide how to pronounce his name – I settled for ‘Veil’ in the end) is the main character, but that spot
Nicole P
This was a funny and enjoyable read. I liked the heroine and found her to be spunky and hilarious and her family were one of a kind. I look forward to reading the next book.
Amyiw
4 1/2 stars
Jaz is a great take no prisoners character. She feels that she has to make up for her past so she fights the good fight and doesn't question herself in angsty details. She has snark continually playing in her mind if not outright in her responses. I would love to see this as an audiobook and the way a good narrator could bring alive the supporting characters. Yaz-mee-na as Vayl calls her, Vayl would have a way cool accent, at least he does in my head. Still figuring out when she is
Apr 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

Jaz is a tough heroine with a smart mouth. Got to love those kick-ass chicks with attitude. She is a totally believable character with her family problems with her stubborn dad, little sister, and twin brother. And since this book is about a tough heroine that works for the C.I.A. that is partnered with a Vamp you know there will be action in the book.

There was a good mix of humor with action and I liked the side characters and hope they continue to show up in
Stephanie  G
First off there is so much action and stuff going on in this I am not ever sure were to begin.

Jazz or Jasmine Parks is a bad ass assassin, who works for an even more bad ass vampire named Vayl. Jazz has been working for him for a while she given to him to be his assistant at his request. Jazz has some hidden secretes that affects her daily routine. She suffers from periodic black-outs. If that is not bad enough, the current job they are on has proved to be more challenging than expected.

Jazz
Sandra
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand why it took me so long to read this book. I got about half way and put it down and then kept picking up other books. It's not a bad book, hence the 4 stars, but maybe I was expecting more after reading too much hype.

So the story goes - Jaz Parks is an assassin for the CIA, mainly killing paranormal creatures. Vayl is her boss & partner, he is a vamp, a good vamp born in 1744 Romania.

Their latest mission is to stop a deadly plague being released by bad vamps & a
Courtney
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book revolves around Jaz, a woman tortured by a horrible past who's currently working for the CIA as an assassin. She's partnered with the CIA's best agent, a vampire named Vayl.

The book has some good elements, but the execution could have used some work. The world is barely described, and though the author mentions other supernatural creepies, she really only delves into the vampiric ones. Likewise, the characters are flat and rushed. The plot is also rushed, jumping in leaps and bounds at
Robin
May 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Basic story line - Jaz Parks is a gov. agent. She is paired up with a 300 year old vampire by the name of Vayl. They are after a immortal named Assan who is about to set loose a deadly virus. I was excited to finally get this book albiet in Kindle edition, but after reading it, I wonder what all the fuss was about. I didn't find the characters all that interesting. I tired easily of Jaz talking or thinking comments to herself. I didn't really feel Vayl was given any real characteristics that ...more
Yodamom
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
The action was first rate, I got tired of the "my poor past routine". I really wanted her to connect with her vamp more, ah well lack of romance. Perhaps that lowered it a star for me. This book really called for a little love, she and he have been so wounded. I thought the distraction from the human, Cole was a wasted write in, I could not find a reason for him to be there. I really wanted to dive more into the past of these characters, perhaps she will lead us their in future books ? The way ...more
The Flooze
Characters were okay, but were underdeveloped, as was the story as a whole. Very light on the romantic element-expression of emotional rather than physical intimacy. A couple of chuckles here and there. Meh.
Witchmetal
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed the first 80 percent of this book. I love Jaz so it's like to continue with the series.
Erica Paré
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once Bitten, Twice Shy was a really fun and interesting read. We follow along Jasmine, aka Jaz, and her boss/partner Vayl. Vayl is a vampire and they are working together to try and stop a terrorist threat. They think the assignment will be easy until they almost get killed by people they dont know. They also find that someone has poisoned Vayls blood supply so he ends up feeding on Jaz. This brings her powers even stronger, not always the best thing when it can make you vomit from the smell. We ...more
Heather Withington
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been looking for this series for while, and I am pleased to say that in the end it did not disappoint. The first third of the book was a bit of a slog, and the plot moved at a really slow pace. However, once the book gets going it is a good read. I thoroughly enjoyed Jaz and Vayl's relationship and how it developed through the book. I also liked the Q lookalike and think that he will bring a nice quirky element to the series.

It is a setting up book, and I have no doubt that if the rest of
Vanessa
This was ridiculous.
From a mistake in the summary on the back to the stupidness of the main character.
Jaz spills all her secrets to a stranger she has just met, because he is pretty and likes her. She has anger issues and is the most powerful being in this book. And given that this book is about vampires and unleashing a goddess that is saying something.

The only good thing was probably that it was pretty short.
Though I'm not going to continue with this series.
... 4 13 Feb 24, 2014 07:51PM
Girls, Guns and G...: February 2012 BOM - Once Bitten Twice Shy (Spoiler Free) 18 28 Feb 10, 2012 07:48AM
Girls, Guns and G...: February 2012 BOM - Once Bitten Twice Shy (Spoilers) 3 14 Jan 23, 2012 06:47AM

• Blade Song (Colbana Files, #1)
  • Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law, #1)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1)
  • Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1)
  • Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1)
  • Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)
  • Broken Blade (Colbana Files, #3)
  • Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)
  • Full Blooded (Jessica McClain, #1)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • Edged Blade (Colbana Files, #4)
  • Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • The Scent of Shadows (Signs of the Zodiac, #1)
  • Stray (Shifters, #1)
  • Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen, #1)
I’ve spent all my life in the Midwest, which has certainly shaped my perspective on all kinds of issues, from the question of whether or not we really have an accent, to the many and varied uses of corn.

I was born in Evansville, Indiana on April 28, 1965. Mom tells me almost every year what crappy weather it was that day. However I like to think of my birthday as the first frost-free date for my

Jaz Parks (8 books)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
  • Bite Marks (Jaz Parks, #6)
  • Bitten in Two (Jaz Parks, #7)
  • The Deadliest Bite (Jaz Parks, #8)
“I pictured Cupid sitting in a crappy little bar, drunk and depressed, while he moaned to the bartender, "That Jasmine Parks, gods, she pisses me off! Did you see what she just did? Totally blew off this immortal stud to play kiss-the-boo-boo with a fickle little rent-a-cop. Why? 'Cause she's the biggest chickenshit on the planet! I'm ready to toss my bow and pick up a bazooka!” 101 likes
“Sometimes things would be so much simpler if you could just pull out your gun and shoot the bad guy. Reason number seventeen why Indiana Jones is my hero.” 86 likes