The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > Jodi’s Book Challenge for 2010-2011

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Johnson My challenge for this year is from March 11, 2010 to March 11, 2011 read 200 books following the A to Z challenge(title and author) for all books read. I have countless books that have been given to me this past year that have only been collecting dust. I plan to utilize these gifts during this challenge. For each book read, a review will be provided. To add a twist to this challenge any books that have to be purchased to complete this challenge I will not pay full price but will search for good deals. I will keep a running tab throughout the year of the amount of money saved purchasing these items.

message 2: by Jodi (last edited Apr 09, 2010 12:34PM) (new)

Jodi Johnson A to Z Title Challenge List #1

A- Ashes and Ice Tracie Peterson
B- Blueberry Muffin Murder Joanne Fluke
C- Chocolat Joanne Harris
D- The Diana Chronicles Tina Brown
E- Emma Jane Austen
F- The Firm Penny Junor
G- Gone with the Wind Margaret Mitchell
H- The Host Stephenie Meyer
I- Insider Dating Jennifer O’Connell
J- Julie & Julia Julie Powell
K- Keeping Faith Jodi Picoult
L- Letter Perfect Cathy Marie Hake
M- Monster Frank Peretti
N- Northanger Abbey Jane Austen
O- Odd Mom Out Jane Porter
P- Persuasion Jane Austen
Q- Queen of Babble Meg Cabot
R- Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict Laurie Viera Rigler
S- Shopaholic Takes Manhattan Sophie Kinsella
T- Treasures of the North Traci Peterson
U- Under the Dome Stephen King
V- Vienna Prelude Bodie & Brock Thoene
W- Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte
X- The Xibalba Murders Lyn Hamilton
Y- Young Hearts Crying Richard Yates
Z- The Zygote Chronicles Suzanne Finnamore

message 3: by Jodi (last edited Apr 09, 2010 12:37PM) (new)

Jodi Johnson A to Z Author Challenge List # 1

A- Austen, Jane Lady Susan
B- Bronte, Charolotte Villette
C- Collins, Suzanne The Hunger Games
D- Dalton, John Heaven Lake
E- Ebershoff, David The 19th Wife
F- Fluke, Joanne Lemon Meringue Pie Murder
G- Grange, Amanda Colonel Brandon’s Diary
H- Hart, John The Last Child
I- Ibbotson, Eva A Company of Swans
J- Jackson, Lisa Malice
K- Kinsella, Sophie Shopaholic Ties the Knot
L- Lowry, Lois The Giver
M- Macomber, Debbie The Snow Bride
N- Niffenegger, Audrey The Time Traveler’s Wife
O- Oke, Janette When Calls the Heart
P- Pelzer, Dave A Child Called “It”
Q- Quinn, Julia The Duke and I
R- Rigler, Laurie Viera Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict
S- See, Lisa Shanghai Girls
T- Twain, Mark The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
U- Unger, Lisa Die for You
V- Veryan, Patricia Feather Castles
W- Wells, Linda Perfect Fit
X- Xue, Xinran Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet
Y- Yates, Richard Revolutionary Road
Z- Zafon, Carlos Ruiz The Shadow of the Wind

message 4: by Jodi (last edited Apr 09, 2010 01:06PM) (new)

Jodi Johnson Book for the Week of March 11th:

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict****
Laurie Viera Rigler( gift )

Review:

I enjoyed reading this novel. I felt that Laurie Rigler was putting my wildest Jane Austen inspired dreams on paper. Riglers descriptive writing style truly made this novel standout from the other novels in this genre. Courtney’s development and the addition of complex supporting characters kept this novels pace on tract. However I found the last few chapters did not sum up the end of the story adequately for me. These chapters felt forced and rushed bringing about the ending of the novel with too quick conclusions. Any Jane Austen addict will enjoy this easy read.

message 5: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Johnson Books for the Week of March 14th

The Shadow of the Wind*****
Carlos Ruiz Zafón(Purchased)
retail price $16.00-kindle price $9.99=money saved $6.01

Review:
I was amazed at how addicting this book was for me. Carlos Ruiz Zafon created a world that draws the reader in and does not release them until the close of the story. The character development was amazing; I enjoyed how he provided detailed histories on even the supporting characters. Within in the pages of this book was hidden information for the reader to discover and apply throughout this novel. His writing ability truly is a gift and he used this gift to create one of the best books I have read to date.

Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict*****
Laurie Viera Rigler(Purchased)
retail price $25.95-sale price $5.97=money saved 19.98

Review:
I loved this novel. I couldn’t put it down it was cute and funny with a lot of flair. This is a companion novel to Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict and may not be completely appreciated if that novel is not read prior. If felt that this novel had better flow than the previous one and was way more enjoyable. Overall, this novel was an easy, addicting weekend read.

The Snow Bride***
Debbie Macomber(Library book)

Review:
This was a cute easy little romance novel. The plot was predictable in some ways but the main characters were so lovable that I had to keep reading even though I knew what was going to happen.

message 6: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Johnson Book for the week of March 21st

Feather Castles**
Patricia Veryan(Library book)

Review:
I wanted to like this book. When I read the description I feel in love with the story line, but when I got to reading the novel there were so many subplots and supporting characters I felt that the beauty of the story got lost along the way. I enjoyed the development of the main characters but felt the ending was lacking something when compared to the explosive plot found throughout the novel. I enjoyed the authors writing style and I hope I am able to find more of her novels. Overall, I found this book to be interesting but missing something.

message 7: by Jodi (last edited Apr 09, 2010 01:31PM) (new)

Jodi Johnson Book for the Week of March 28th

The Time Traveler's Wife****
Audrey Niffenegger(Library Book)

Review:
This was a great novel. The different perspectives presented added depth to this interesting tale. I enjoyed the development of the characters through this novel and I enjoyed how Niffenegger developed her plot. Niffenegger was able to convey the emotions of her characters in a realistic and strait forward manner that allowed the reader to become hooked on the novel. However, I was disappointed with the ending of this novel, I felt for me it clashed with the development of the main characters. Overall, this was a great novel that I will enjoy for years to come.

Colonel Brandon's Diary***
Amanda Grange(Gift)

Review:
I enjoyed this novel immensely. It was a quick read about one of my favorite Jane Austen characters. I enjoyed Granges insight on his past life and love. Furthermore, Grange was able to stick with Jane Austen’s plot and add her own twists and turns along the way. However, I found the development of some of the characters did not reach the level I expected. Overall I found this novel to be a good read and worth purchasing.

A Child Called "It"*****
Dave Pelzer(Purchased)
retail price $11.95-used price $9.00=money saved $2.95

Review:

I had to read this for a graduate class I am currently taking and I was truly touched by this man’s story. His writing style allows the reader to grasp exactly what he felt and thought as a child. This book allows the reader to become educated on child abuse and helps raise awareness of this problem.