What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Mildred the Harp Player? [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 5 comments I remember that this book was in three parts: the first part was about Mildred and how she was a loser harp player who fell in love with a rich guy ...whos name I think starts with a P..oh and his mansion (i think) people in town called in 'Cake' This rich guy dies in I think WW2 and leaves Mildred pregnant. OH OH OH but before that he dies he gives her a ring, which I think is on the cover. (and his family doesnt approve of Mildred not helping her with the child) so Mildred marries her best friends boyfriend (or ex boyfried) to help her. The second part (this may be the third part instead, but i dont remember because I do remember the best friend of Mildred being the main character in one of the parts) is about Mildred's son who is a rock star and i think he was either an alchoholic or druggie. He has/had a wife who he had a son with, but abandoned the family. He gives the ring THE SAME RING to a girlfriend of his who he thinks he loves, but she runs off to california and sells it. His mother Mildred I think retrieves it. (oh i think Mildred's new husband was nicknamed wormie idk) But then in the third part all I remember is Mildred taking care of her grandchild because his mother went out and died in a carcrash...but i remember the grandchild screaming I HATE YOU MOMMY oh something like that. The third part may be about the grandson and son getting a relationship back together.

Thanks you, it has been driving me INSANE! I read this book in eighth grade for my project.

message 2: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 175 comments That's "I Stay Near You" by M.E. Kerr.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 5 comments I can't possibly explain how happy i am now :] thank you Lorna thank you <3

message 4: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 175 comments You're so welcome!