The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > First Reads books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 528 (528 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments I don't know whether this goes in this category or not. I also don't know if there is already a thread on this. I found out about these give aways yesterday and signed up for a couple. Lo and behold, I look at my e-mail today and found out that I won one of them. How cool! I'm so excited!

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10087 comments Mod
This can work here... since it is about us and books in a very specific sense!

Congrats on winning your first goodreads firstread. I won one once about a year ago, and havent won any others since... so I dont sign up very often (I know, I know, Im only hurting myself!)

Which book was it?

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol I signed up for over twenty .Have not won anything. Congratulations Catamorandi on your win.

message 4: by Kandice (last edited Mar 10, 2010 04:58PM) (new)

Kandice I have been signing up for them for over a year and haven't won one yet.
*sigh*

message 5: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments The book I won is Andrea Carter and the Trouble with Treasure: A Novel.

message 6: by Petra (new)

Petra Congratulations! I don't win very often and its always a thrill to win.

message 7: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 210 comments Congrats! I won three last year.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I love the Giveaways program! :D I actually just received one today. I've entered a total of 75 times and won five of them:

The Tehran Conviction: A Novel of Suspense by Tom Gabbay ****

The Prophecy's Child: The Unseen by W.E.D Wilson **

Evermore by Alyson Noel **

A Thousand Lies by D.W. St. John *

The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel by Nancy Pickard (To Read)

The Tehran Conviction was by far the best. I really enjoyed it. The others, not so much, but I look forward to the ARC of Scent of Rain and Lightning!

message 9: by Alisha Marie (last edited Mar 15, 2010 07:03PM) (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments I don't know how many I've entered so far but I've won six of them. They were:

Loyalty's Web-Joyce DiPastena **
The Year of Pleasures-Elizabeth Berg ***
Something Borrowed-Emily Giffin ****
The Bird Room-Chris Killen ****
The Crimson Rooms-Katharine McMahon **
Mathilda Savitch-Victor Lodato

I'm reading Mathilda Savitch now and it seems promising. I think this may be a four star first reads win.

message 10: by Marti (last edited Mar 10, 2010 06:38PM) (new)

Marti (marjay) | 985 comments I think it is all about how often you enter book giveaways. I enter them here and at one other site, but I have entered about 100 of them. I have won 14 books in that time span. I just opened the mail today and had yet another one, The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel by Nancy Pickard to read. I try to read them quickly, within a two to three week time span and sometimes I pass on the books to my best friend and she does the same with me. I am careful to only sign up for books in genres I like. I have to admit I am an easy mark with a lot of books because I love books!!!

Don't give up on winning them!!!

message 11: by Trion (new)

Trion | 27 comments i am sorry i didnt understand a thing

is there a site where you get to win books by playing it or something..?

or have i just made a huge mockery of myself asking this

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Trion, there is a giveaway program on Goodreads: If you go to "Explore", and then "Books" and then click on the Giveaways tab, you can see the books that are available, and enter to win them. :)

message 13: by Becky (new)

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments I won 8 and then it just suddenly stopped. Maybe I won my limit???

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Nah, there's no limit, but the GR team is always tweaking things. I know that there have been discussions in the Feedback group about how some people (me included) win repeatedly, while other people (like Kandice) enter and enter but never win.

So they might have changed the algorithm that chooses winners to be based on different factors, and I know that activity level and reviews play a part. *shrug*

message 16: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10087 comments Mod
Alisha, I have The Bird Room (from the publisher)- Its my next read. Cool!!!

I have only won one, and I know the stipulations are pretty wide for people to be able to win - being online and active and review similar books and all, but I just dont get it. I used to sign up for them, and I was being selective - only picking the ones I thought I would like - and nada....

Only one. But Im happy to hear that you guys are getting some!!

message 17: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments I used to make a habit of going on the giveaway site once a week. I won 2 books - Something Borrowed and Elizabeth Berg. I did not review either which may have been my mistake since they are both in my TBR pile. I also sign up on Free Book Fridays where I won a signed copy of a Charlene Harris book. Half of the fun is the anticipation.

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments What is Free Book Fridays?

message 19: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 906 comments I won my first earlier this week: The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees

message 20: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments Freebookfriday.com Saturday the book for the week is announced. You have until Thursday to sign up. Past Authors are Jodi Picolt, Lisa Lutz, Emily Griffen etc. The site will usually have an interview with the author. Also a teen selection each week. I came upon this site by chance. I now get a reminder email each week which is nice.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments I've won 4 books thus far. My latest win hasn't arrived yet. Of the four, I like Stray Affections: A Novel the best :)

message 22: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments I just won a book today! :)

message 23: by JSou (new)

JSou Congrats, Bhumi! I'm still holding my breath and praying I might have a chance at the new David Mitchell they have listed. I've only won 1 before, but the publisher ended up sending me an extra book though. That was a nice surprise!

message 24: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments Lucky you, Jessica! I know the feeling; usually I don't win the books I'm dying to read.

message 25: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments Lori wrote: "Alisha, I have The Bird Room (from the publisher)- Its my next read. Cool!!!

I have only won one, and I know the stipulations are pretty wide for people to be able to win - being online and acti..."

Lori, I have love for The Bird Room because besides being a quirky little story, it was the first book this year that was a quick read for me and that I liked. The previous books before that were all a bit "meh" so this one surprised me and got me out of the reading slump that was quickly approaching. I really hope you enjoy it!

message 26: by Trion (new)

Trion | 27 comments what happens when i win them, they send the book to me??

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz Yes, although sometimes the books are sent directly from the publishers so they take a while.
I've won two: Valeria's Last Stand and The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel.

message 28: by Kaion (last edited Mar 12, 2010 11:30PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) I entered a few last week, and I've won one today! 4-6 weeks, eh?

message 29: by Trion (new)

Trion | 27 comments dayam...i aint getting any

message 30: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 985 comments Kaion, Sometimes they come very quickly and sometimes they don't ...be ready to insert them into your reading list once they come in.

They key element everyone, I think, is the speed at which you read them and post something up on good reads. The point of giving away books is to start a conversation and get the title out there on people's lists. If you want to be winning them, you have to be willing to do that Another key element to enter often and check back often...

message 31: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments Sometimes they take an extremely long time to arrive...many weeks.

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 501 comments I just won The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees. This one came really fast: I got the email from GR on Tuesday that I'd won it and then it arrived at my house on Thursday. I love the cover and I'm really looking forward to readin it.

message 33: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) I've entered about a dozen and won two of them. At first I read about it mattering if you reviewed lots of stuff, so when I wanted to win a cookbook I reviewed a ton of cookbooks and won. But then, I tried that for a couple others I was really into and they went to people who didn't even have any books rated, so I don't know.

The second one I won was The Inheritance. It should be in my mailbox very soon.

Mostly I don't enter for very many though. The Canada selections are way less cool than the American ones. I always see stuff I want on the American page and then cry a little.

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 27 comments I won Miracles of Prato which is a historical fiction novel set in Italy last month. I really enjoyed it and probably wouldn't have picked it up at the bookstore. I have another winner on the way. I am a big fan of this program so far.

message 35: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I entered for about a year and a half and I have won 4 in the last couple of months. I read the book soon after winning and post the review....enter again and win....I am waiting for my latest to arrive

I have won:
1. The Murderer's Daughters
2. A Child's Wound
3. Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
4. The Aleph Bet Conspiracy (waiting for this one to come)

message 36: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments I just won Beaded Hope by Cathy Liggett today and can't wait for it to arrive. I definitely think that reading the book as soon as it comes and reviewing it promptly increases your chances of winning.

message 37: by Marti (last edited Mar 15, 2010 07:21PM) (new)

Marti (marjay) | 985 comments I won The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel by Nancy Pickard two weeks ago. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT... and it is only the beginning (page 25)!!!! I wonder if I can call in sick tomorrow so I can just read this yummy book!!

message 38: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) After reading this thread, I entered to win about 5 or so....and I already won one!

message 39: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments I just won The Vanishing of Katharina Linden! Although, that was one of those 75 copies giveaways, but still free book.

I'm still waiting for Beaded Hope to arrive. Hopefully it comes soon. I have a little tip. If you won a book and it's taking a bit long to arrive, just write "waiting for it to arrive" where you would write the review. That way when you enter giveaways you have a better chance of winning a new book even though you haven't received the previous one yet.

message 40: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Writing my first review now. I'm all nercous like people might actually read it and stuff, yikes.

message 41: by Kelly (last edited Mar 26, 2010 04:00PM) (new)

Kelly I won The Vanishing of Katharina Lindenalso!! Can't wait to get it! It was my first win too, and I've entered about 10 of the giveaways.

message 42: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments I just won Horns!

message 43: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) That's an awesome score, Alisha. So jealous!

message 44: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Congrats, Alisha! I also won a copy of Horns. So excited! :)

message 45: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments I know I can't wait for it to come! Today, I won Offerings from Christine Sunderland. I forgot I even entered this considering it was in December.

message 46: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments I just won my second first reads book. It is called Writing and the Spirit. I can hardly wait to get it, since I am working on a novel.

message 47: by Chantelle (last edited Mar 31, 2010 06:12PM) (new)

message 48: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 985 comments I won another book A River in the Sky (Amelia Peabody, #19) by Elizabeth Peters

This is a book in the midst of a series that I haven't read but it sounded so good and right up my alley that I entered and won the next day!!!

message 49: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) Catamorandi wrote: "I just won my second first reads book. It is called Writing and the Spirit. I can hardly wait to get it, since I am working on a novel."

Congrats! That was one I was hoping to win. I hope you enjoy your spoils!

message 50: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 475 comments Marti wrote: "I won another book A River in the Sky (Amelia Peabody, #19) by Elizabeth Peters

This is a book in the midst of a series that I haven't read but it sounded so good and right up my alley that I..."

I am SOOOOOO jealous!! I didnt see this one up there! This is one of my favorite series of all time and I really thought it was done after the last book. So even though I am jealous, you made me very happy! Off to look at when it is published...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11