Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Things You Don't Like About Characters

Comments Showing 1-50 of 284 (284 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (Lobymustard) | 19 comments I was thinking about how sometimes when you're reading and there's a description of a character you go "What? No! Thats not how I want them to look" So what are some things you hate when a character is described with it? Like for me I don't like when it says a guy has long hair or it says someone is really tan. I really like when someone has glasses or a guy is skinny. But thats just me. What about you? How do you like to describe characters?

message 2: by Catie (new)

Catie  | 243 comments I don't like it when they say things like flashing eyes or long hair for boys. Long hair on boys is gross in my mind. I also hate it when they are all buff and all that. Not many boys are like that. It isn't quite fair to make girls think that there only prince charming is going to be buff with flashing eyes and all that. If they do they will be waiting for a long time.

message 3: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
Amen to that, Catie.

message 4: by Kriss (new)

Except the long hair part... I've seen guys before that look really hot with long hair O.o It's just gross if it's all greasy... Ugh >.>

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate it when I picture a character to be blonde and they turn out to be Asian or something. I'm like, "Jeez! You could at least give them an Asian-sounding name!"

message 6: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Cassie wrote: "I hate it when I picture a character to be blonde and they turn out to be Asian or something. I'm like, "Jeez! You could at least give them an Asian-sounding name!""

I so know how you feel!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

So, basically I end up with a lot of Arian Chinese people.

message 8: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments *laughs* weird

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It's kind of funny.

message 10: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments 'twould be

message 11: by Catie (new)

Catie  | 243 comments That is slightly wierd

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

*Yawn* I also hate it when I find out near the end of the book that all the characters are Scottish or something and I'm like "you mean I read that whole book without imagining your awesome accents?!"

message 13: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Cassie wrote: "*Yawn* I also hate it when I find out near the end of the book that all the characters are Scottish or something and I'm like "you mean I read that whole book without imagining your awesome accents?!""

*laughs* too true,too true

message 14: by Catie (new)

Catie  | 243 comments I know! I read the whole gallagher girls series without knowing Bex had a british accsent.!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

It's so annoying.

message 16: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments gah, that would be buggi

message 17: by Alaa (last edited Mar 11, 2010 01:36AM) (new)

Alaa | 2 comments Cassie wrote: "*Yawn* I also hate it when I find out near the end of the book that all the characters are Scottish or something and I'm like "you mean I read that whole book without imagining your awesome accents?!""

hahahahahahaha so true

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments Kriss wrote: "Except the long hair part... I've seen guys before that look really hot with long hair O.o It's just gross if it's all greasy... Ugh >.>"

Like Snape.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

omg I hate it when they don't make girls hot enough in books

message 20: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments *laughs* nice-ah

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Cassie wrote: "I hate it when I picture a character to be blonde and they turn out to be Asian or something. I'm like, "Jeez! You could at least give them an Asian-sounding name!""

Ikr? I remember reading the Darkest Power series only to find heaps long later that Simon is asian! Blah.

message 22: by Kriss (new)

I hate it when they never give me any description about what the character looks like. Or if they never give a description of their eyes >:/

♫♥Selena♥♫ (wertyiu102) | 338 comments Cassie wrote: "I hate it when I picture a character to be blonde and they turn out to be Asian or something. I'm like, "Jeez! You could at least give them an Asian-sounding name!""

:O My name is SELENA! Does that sound Asian? NO!!! But, I am 100 PERCENT Asian. So THERE!

message 24: by ♫♥Selena♥♫ (last edited Mar 13, 2010 11:27PM) (new)

♫♥Selena♥♫ (wertyiu102) | 338 comments I don't like when the character's aren't real. when they don't have actual emotions, or when their dialouge sounds fake and awkward.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate it when the author is like an adult and like they say lets go play playstation at my house like who says playstation its kinda annoying

message 26: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 853 comments I hate it when the author describes the character in the freaking middle of the book. I'm usually way off in how I think they look and I get really confused.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments I hate it when the author gets the eye or hair color mixed up. First they're like "she had blond hair" and then they're like "her black hair was swept across her face..."

DRIVES ME NUTZ

message 28: by Acacia (last edited Mar 15, 2010 12:01PM) (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) RedPath ~Enna-girl~ wrote: "I hate it when the author describes the character in the freaking middle of the book. I'm usually way off in how I think they look and I get really confused."

Heh...guilty.... :P

I hate when authors use like 18 million different words for the same color hair/eyes whatever. Variety in wording is good, but sometimes it's like, "Wait, aren't those two entirely different shades?" or something.

message 29: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (Lobymustard) | 19 comments I hate it when they change the book cover from not having real people on it to having real people on it. I just know this happened with the Gooses girl books. After I had read and bought all of them they come out with these ones with pictures of real people on them and they don't look right!

Or when you read a book for the second time and then you realize that you imagined a character completely wrong from how the author described them.

Or when you and a friend talk about characters and they say something really wrong like "I think they have blond hair" and they really have brown hair. OR when a friend says a characters name and they say it wrong! That bugs me.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments *sigh* yes.

I think the good thing about my friend is that she imagines the characters the same way as I do. Then we can shout on to other people how their image is so wrong and doesn't fit the author's description.

message 31: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Well, this isn't about descriptions, but I hate it when people make their main characters totally unlikable! I don't want to read a book about someone who goes around being dumb with no remorse or regret; who cares what happens to them?? I don't like it when people are so predictable from their appearance. I like the shock of finding out a four foot tall boy can flip you in two seconds!

message 32: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I know a kid like that.

Ouch.

But yeah, I agree with you.

message 33: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Mary-Sue's and Gary-Stu's. 'Nough said.

message 34: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin | 3094 comments Acacia wrote: "I know a kid like that.

Ouch.

But yeah, I agree with you."

So you don't like my Jenna from The Last Lute? XD

message 35: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) SELLA!

No, I love Jenna! It's different. :P

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

♫♥Selena♥♫ wrote: "Cassie wrote: "I hate it when I picture a character to be blonde and they turn out to be Asian or something. I'm like, "Jeez! You could at least give them an Asian-sounding name!""

:O My name i..."

Well, then, at least describe the character so I know whether or not they're Asian!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

RedPath ~Enna-girl~ wrote: "I hate it when the author describes the character in the freaking middle of the book. I'm usually way off in how I think they look and I get really confused."

Me too! But the end's worse.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "I hate it when the author gets the eye or hair color mixed up. First they're like "she had blond hair" and then they're like "her black hair was swept across her face..."

DRIVES ME NUTZ"

ME TOO.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm kind of not liking how in this book I'm reading the characters are 14 and are in the 7th grade. Unless it's different in Canada. If that's how it is there, that's fine, but if it's in America, it's bothering me.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments o.O I was editing this person's story, and the kid's thirteen and he's going to high school. MAKES NO SENSE

message 41: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I have a friend and a sister who are going to be 13 for most of their Freshman year...

message 42: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Cassie wrote: "I'm kind of not liking how in this book I'm reading the characters are 14 and are in the 7th grade. Unless it's different in Canada. If that's how it is there, that's fine, but if it's in America, ..."

It's not different like that in Canada! I'd know, I live here: I'm 14 and in ninth grade.

I don't know what's wrong with those characters....maybe it's their author that...isn't the greatest.

message 43: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
This is really strange, but I don't usually like when they describe guys with curly hair. I just don't like curly hair on guys..

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments I know a boy who has curly hair. It looks like a chia pet.

message 45: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
I know it is the point of his stuff, but god dang I hate every character Sartre writes about.

No Exit made me want to punch a baby. Those characters were the most jerk-wad people on the planet.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments Baxter wrote: "I know it is the point of his stuff, but god dang I hate every character Sartre writes about.

No Exit made me want to punch a baby. Those characters were the most jerk-wad people on the planet."

I have never heard of that author or that book. According to you, I should probably not read them at all.

message 47: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
Laura *THE TRUE MAD HATTER, STEP ASIDE DEPP!* wrote: "Baxter wrote: "I know it is the point of his stuff, but god dang I hate every character Sartre writes about.

No Exit made me want to punch a baby. Those characters were the most jerk-wad people ..."

Well actually, he does write genuinely great stuff, and No Exit is a brilliant play. But as it so puts, "Hell is other people". The man liked to write about how disagreeable people are, which is a great way to make me RAGE.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments :O ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Poetic Ingenius- [Kenny:] wrote: "Cassie wrote: "I'm kind of not liking how in this book I'm reading the characters are 14 and are in the 7th grade. Unless it's different in Canada. If that's how it is there, that's fine, but if it..."

HA! So the author IS an idiot!

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments I hate it when a writer says that a guy has like a long scar running down his face. It's so cliche! (even though I do it sometimes)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.