Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Book Club Nominations > April Winners are DECIDED!! (Read first post before nominating please)

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Cat. 2 The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman

message 3: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Ooh, I want to read that, Donna. But is it a mystery?

I need to give myself an excuse to read something I've been wanting to, but haven't been able, so...

Cat1: Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

message 4: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Cat 1: Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments It says it is! I went to double check at both the library and the bookstore because I wasn't quite suremyself.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Donna wrote: "It says it is! I went to double check at both the library and the bookstore because I wasn't quite suremyself."

It's not so much a whodunnit as a whydunnit. But you are wondering how it's going to end all throughout the book. So while it's not Nancy Drew style mystery, it IS mystery-ish.

message 7: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments Cat 1: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments AngelaSunshine wrote: "Donna wrote: "It says it is! I went to double check at both the library and the bookstore because I wasn't quite suremyself."

It's not so much a whodunnit as a whydunnit. But you are wondering how..."

So I am guessing it counts...?????

message 9: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments LOVE The Goose Girl! I'm rereading it right now, in fact!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy Good choice Kellee! I really want to read that one too!

message 12: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell for Category 2

message 13: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Amy wrote: "Good choice Kellee! I really want to read that one too!"

I know! It's been on my TBR list for ever :)
And I've had a ton of students read it and its companion recently & it is all they can talk about.

message 14: by Kaion (last edited Mar 11, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Category 1: Skellig by David Almond

message 16: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Heh, Arya, that sounds cursorily similar to a (very, very strange) anime called Revolutionary Girl Utena.

message 17: by Arya (last edited Mar 11, 2010 03:41PM) (new)

Arya (izlandzadi) | 686 comments Huh, never read that, but The Warrior Heir is extremely good! How's Revolutionary Girl Utena, I mean I know it is strange, but good strange or bad strange?

message 18: by Kaion (last edited Mar 11, 2010 06:13PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) It's been called a post-modern fairy tale... to be honest, I'm still not sure I get it, period. Utena is a spunky teen whose goal is to become as "princely" as possible (dashing, heroic, etc.) after a mysterious prince comforted her at her parents' funeral (a goal for which she usually "cross-dress"es). She gets embroiled with the student council, in these regular duels in they have to "own" the Rose Bride (a fellow student who becomes Utena's roommate and best friend, and maybe possible love interest, and also possibly an evil witch mastermind). And um, there's an awful lot of implied sexual symbolism with roses and cars and swords and pianos. And incest? And split identities? I *think* it's about breaking the roles of victim and hero and damsel-in-distress. And this is all regularly commented on by a pair of fourth wall-breaking shadow-puppet gossips.

And there's a few comedy episodes (the one about curry is my favorite). I liked it, though it went on too long in parts, and definitely suffered from low budgeting in others.

(I said cursory resemblance, right?)

message 19: by Arya (new)

Arya (izlandzadi) | 686 comments That sounds very different from The Warrior Heir. I think I understand now why you think it is "strange". Haha. . .it does sound quite weird! The Warrior Heir is mostly very dramatic and intersting (in the ideas department) and a very sweet read. . .ok maybe that is not the best word to describe it but it is . . .nice? I don't know I really liked it!! If you want you could read it and then write a comparison between it and RGU. I bet you would like it!!

message 20: by Shauna (new)

Shauna | 15 comments Cat.1: Impossible by Nancy Werlin

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments Utena is extremely strange. I watched one movie and they changed into various objects and it was a mind trip. I avoid Utena solely because of how the movie turned out :P

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori (heylorikay) | 35 comments Cat 1 Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

message 23: by Kaion (last edited Mar 12, 2010 01:09PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Tanja wrote: "Utena is extremely strange. I watched one movie and they changed into various objects and it was a mind trip. I avoid Utena solely because of how the movie turned out :P"

Oh yes, the movie... The movie definitely assumes you've seen the show and then some. (**Spoiler** And then the main character turns into a car. That represents freedom? From grief/reliance on female sexuality as power/victimization/jail? Yeah, I didn't get it.)

message 25: by Mandy (last edited Mar 15, 2010 02:25PM) (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments Christina, you can only nominate one book...
Fiona wrote:

"You may only nominate one book in only one choice of category.

Category 1. Normal/regular
Category 2. Mystery

This means you do not nominate two books one in each. Just one book."

message 26: by Christina (new)

Christina (fiddler42) Gosh darn it, sorry about that. Thought I read that closely enough. Must be tea time.

Nominating Down the Rabbit Hole, for Cat 2.

Down the Rabbit Hole (An Echo Falls Mystery, #1) by Peter Abrahams

message 28: by Arya (new)

Arya (izlandzadi) | 686 comments I have been wanting to read The Maze Runner and Down the Rabbit Hole - such fun!!

message 29: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (otakuninja) | 8 comments Ahhh thats a good point. I didnt think it mattered since each book is kind of its own story.

2: The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene (Book 1)

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori (heylorikay) | 35 comments Aww guys sorry my vote was for cat:2 not cat:1 ooops we can blame that on my new smart phone

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori (heylorikay) | 35 comments Sorry fiona! I swear my fingers will slim down enough then I won't make those mistakes ;-)

message 32: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (otakuninja) | 8 comments ...Is it possible to take out my earlier nomination and replace it with a new book? I think the one I have in mind is a better nomination. I haven't read it myself, but I've heard good things about it, and the author.

message 33: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (otakuninja) | 8 comments Category 2: Paper Towns by John Green

Thanks! :-)

message 34: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments Fiona, Christina's omission of the author may be my fault because she edited her original post. Down the Rabbit Hole is by Peter Abrahams.

message 35: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) The Wee Free Men, category 1. This book is part of the Terry Pratchett's discworld, but it can be a stand alone.

message 36: by Eden (new)

message 38: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Fiona,

Do you know when you'll get the posts up?

message 39: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Guess I'm psychic :P

message 40: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments YAY!!!! I just finished Thirteen Reasons Why I can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks!

message 41: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) I was going to ask, is there a reason the polls are so secret? I don't plan to harass people or anything, I'd just like an opportunity to support a second or third choice if my first choice isn't very popular.

message 42: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments I like to see it too. No Pressure!

message 43: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I like the secret, it makes the "reveal" so much more exciting! (Ok, I'm old. I like cheap thrills. Hahaha....)

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 342 comments Fiona wrote: "The Winners for April are:

1. Impossible by Nancy Werlin
2. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher"

Oh, so great! I loved Impossible, read it last fall, and I am finishing Thirteen Reasons Why today, great book. I can't wait to see what others have to say about these two wonderful books, Fiona.

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy Looking forward to reading Thirteen Reasons!