Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > Keeping track of page numbers on GR!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lauren (new)

lauren (kinetics) I just got my nook yesterday for my birthday, and since we're all obviously GoodReads and nook users, I wanted to pose the question here: how are you keeping track of what page you're on? Since the eReader page numbers obviously aren't the same as the print books, I'm trying to debate how I want to go about it.

Perhaps I'm a bit OCD. But I love keeping track of my progress in GR!

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt (gloomy50) | 10 comments I use the update quote section to show what page I'm on and how many pages are in the nook version I'm reading. Mine now says "Page 415 of 659 pages in the nook version."

message 3: by Lynneth (new)

Lynneth (lyntwhit) | 4 comments I understood the Nook info to say that the page numbers were the same as a print copy of the book, but it might take two screens or more to equal a page of the paper version of the book. So I might be on page 90, but I might push the turn page button twice before I get to page 91. The font size would affect this as well.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) I don't really pay attention, except for the scroll bar.

message 5: by Archer (new)

Archer Lauren wrote: "I just got my nook yesterday for my birthday, and since we're all obviously GoodReads and nook users, I wanted to pose the question here: how are you keeping track of what page you're on? Since the..."

I'm with you on that one.. It is a hard one I know the book only has 201 pages but my nook tells me it has 757 it's a pain..

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren wrote: "I just got my nook yesterday for my birthday, and since we're all obviously GoodReads and nook users, I wanted to pose the question here: how are you keeping track of what page you're on? Since the..."

Here's some information you may find helpful:

Pages in eBooks and periodicals are numbered. How the pages are numbered and displayed on your nook differs based on the file format of the digital content:

• eBooks in PDB format: Page numbering is for the entire eBook and reflects the number of pages after formatting for the text size. What page something is on changes as well. For example, when the reader text is Amasis Small, Oliver Twist says “Please, sir, I want some more” on page 26 of 817 pages. When the text is Amasis Medium, he says it on page 30 of 956. When the text is Amasis Large, he says it on page 40 of 1274.

• eBooks (and periodicals) in EPUB format: Page numbering is for the entire eBook and reflects some prior account of page numbering, before formatting for the text size. This means that, if the original book had 525 pages, then so does the eBook. But the pages are re-flowed, so a page from the book might start in the middle of the page in the eBook. A page in the book also might be smaller or larger than will fit on one page of the eBook. So, looking at the reading status bar when turning pages you might encounter page 45, and the page after that will still be page 45, and maybe the one after that too. And then you will reach page 46. Or, you will turn from page 45 to 47. What happened to page 46? It was on the same page as page 45. When you make the text size larger, the same page in the eBook will flow over more pages in the Reader.

• Reflowable eBooks in PDF format: Page numbering is for the entire book and reflects some prior account of page numbering, before formatting for the text size. The behavior is the same as for eBooks in EPUB format, described above.

• Non-reflowable (scanned without character recognition) eBooks in PDF format: Page numbering is for the entire book, and reflects the number of scanned pages. Page numbers also might be on the scanned pages, but there is no necessary relationship. Page 6 in the eBook might have the scanned page number iv, and page 30 in the eBook might have the scanned page number 5.

message 7: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments If you go to the correct ISBN/edition of the book it will give you the correct amount of pages if the pages are not listed you can ask a librarian to put in that page number for you. I have done this for quite a few of my ebooks.

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bebe33075) | 52 comments I don't have the option to put a page number only percentage. Is there a way to change this?

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bebe33075) | 52 comments ok so I click the %. it switches to page but only has a space for what page I'm on and there is no total book page. is this because I'm reading an ebook?

message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Natalie, that happens when there is no page number data on Goodreads. Most of the eBooks imported over from B&N don't have page number count on BN.com, so they don't get put up here until they are manually entered. If you post over in the Goodreads Librarian's group under the "Page Numbering Requests," someone can add it in for you.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bebe33075) | 52 comments ok thanks Caroline. @Sarah, yeah I didn't realize until I had a bunch of books added then had to go back to change them.

message 12: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Natalie wrote: "ok thanks Caroline. @Sarah, yeah I didn't realize until I had a bunch of books added then had to go back to change them."

Natalie: I think I will set up a thread in here so that people can ask to put in page numbers for the ebooks. It is easier when you have an ISBN #. I am a librarian so that way people don't have to join the Librarian Group just to ask a page # to be changed.

message 13: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bebe33075) | 52 comments Wow Meghan, that would be great! Thanks.

message 14: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Thank you, Meghan!

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Wallace (lovelylici) | 9 comments I just calculate the difference between the number of pages in the nook version and the number of pages quoted by ereads. I keep that number in mind, and always add it to the page number I'm on.
E.g. Nook version has 300 pages, GR has 330 pages. When I'm on page 40, I say I'm on page (40+30) 70.

message 16: by Sandy (last edited Sep 23, 2010 08:17PM) (new)

Sandy (pixiesand) | 5 comments I like the percentage to keep track of my nook page numbers. It is more accurate since the page number vary so much depending on font and everything.

Meghan, I can help with that as well since I am also a librarian.

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (very-simple) it's pretty easy to get yourself approved as a librarian. I did it for just this purpose - I put in a request to be designated listing a bunch of books that I wanted to add page numbers to. They just made me a librarian and now, whenever I see an e-book in my library that doesn't have page numbers I add it in.

most books are epub these days, so (as explained above) the page numbers should be static and won't change based on font size.

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasoncostello42) | 9 comments is there a way to change the nook to display percentage? i've poked around the settings screen and haven't found any way to do it on my own.

message 19: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Been using it for a while and too my knowledge, there is no way to do that.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess I am satisfied with the bar that shows on the bottom of my screen. I can see page number on the page and look at the bar and tell approximatly what percentage I have left.