Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > Waifs and Strays

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (Tantara) Hello, everyone! I just found and joined the group, and it's wonderful to know there is a group that encourages enables understands my obsession ever-growing addiction charming little quirk.

My particular flavor of the bug: I can't stop bringing home strays! I rarely (if ever) buy new books, other than as gifts for others. But I can't resist used books. Just look at them there, all forlorn! I feel compelled to take them home and give them a nice, cozy shelf to live on. And online buying - Let's call it "adoption", shall we? - is even more urgent. Poor homeless dears, floating adrift on the big, lonely internet...

(Rescuing a story and saving a tree through re-use? *swoon*)

Well, it's just comforting to find a group of other passionate bibliophiles who can relate. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1845 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Candiss. I know exactly where you are coming from. Anytime I visit a library, I can't leave without looking over the used books they might have for sale. You say you like used books AND online shopping? Then you might want to check out a new site I learned of not too long ago: www.thriftbooks.com sells used books online. A nice combo, huh? I've only placed one order with them so far, but the book came in about a week and a half, not bad service IMO.

message 3: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (Tantara) Thanks, Joseph. I learned about Thriftbooks recently, as well. I haven't ordered with them yet, but I suspect I will in the very near future.

message 4: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa theJeepDiva (thejeepdiva) I was just recently introduced to used books stores by a friend. I have to stop at any I pass now. I have given myself $100 a month to spend on books, so used means I can buy more.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Vanessa wrote: "I was just recently introduced to used books stores by a friend. I have to stop at any I pass now. I have given myself $100 a month to spend on books, so used means I can buy more."

I only really started patronizing used bookstores about a year ago. I don't know how I survived without them!

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jebbie74) | 5 comments And I find some of the best places to go perusing is Value Village, Goodwill and The Salvation Army. Not only are you rescueing those forlorn works of art (of which you never know what you are going to find) but it helps out great charities too! :)

message 7: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) You know that is a great idea Jenn, i have definitely gone to Goodwill but I had not though about Value Village, I think we have some of those around here, have to check it out!!

message 8: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco Thank you for justifying my "quirk" as merely rescuing darling books. This is the best explanation I have ever read. I am totally addicted to reading and buying books. It is comforting to know I am not alone.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments I think my 'book rescuing' runs in the family. A woman that my mum works with took a big bag of books into work because she wanted to get rid of them. My mum said "I'll have them" and the woman said "What? all of them?!" And my mum came home with a huge bag of about 40 books. (And she'd already read most of them!)