21st Century Ghosts - Joe Hill discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments Why am I not surprised that you started this group? :P

Well, seeing as I'm the first, besides you, I'll go ahead and get things rolling!

I'm Becky. I ♥ Joe Hill, and I am devastated that STUPID SNOW is going to keep me from meeting him this weekend. :(

But I'm happy to be in another group with Chris, because he rocks. :)

message 2: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments Okay, for a minute I thought that "Stupid Snow" might be one of his stories.....now I get it. That must have been the one with The Reader Guy.

Anyway, thanks Becky and great to see you here!

My intro: Well, I'm Chris and a fan of Joe Hill. I've read 20th Century Ghosts and Heart-Shaped Box and I'm definitely a fan. I hope to read Horns very soon.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments Pfft. No. Actual snow. We're supposed to get a big nasty snowstorm this weekend, just in time for my planned trip to NY for Joe's signing. :(

I've already cancelled my hotel reservations, but I'm going to try to go if I can, and just wing a hotel, maybe. It's not looking promising at this point. Low estimates are for 6 inches of snow. >:(

*sigh*

message 4: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments I'll cross my fingers for ya...hope you're able to see him.

message 5: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 95 comments I'm crossing my fingers too.

I've read Heart Shaped Box, 20th Century Ghost and Throttle which he wrote with dear old dad. I can not wait to read Horns, especially since I read Rachel's review!

Thanks, Chris.

message 6: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments There she is. Welcome to the groundbreaking of another great group, Kandice.

Funny how the three that did the mini-read of 20th Century Ghosts are the first in the new group.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments Me too. We'll see.
I swear, I'm moving back south!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 90 comments Hi Guys!!! I just got in from work...I'm Rachel and I'm a Joe Hill fan. Glad someone started a group! Becky maybe you should rethink the pittsburgh signing...*hint hint* hehe although if you guys really get walloped i won't be going to that either :( Call the store and see if they have signed copies left...he seems to like to leave those in his wake.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments I sent a message to Kathy to ask her if she'd get me one if I couldn't make it. I don't know if the signing is going to take place. As of right now, it's still on, but by tomorrow, that could be a different story. *shrug*

message 10: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (BetsyBoo) | 30 comments Geez Becky...you have my sympathy! Then again, Joe has never included a tour stop here in the south so you might be better off staying where you are!

I'm Betsy and I'm a HUGE Joe Hill fan. Started HSB way back when and only got a couple of chapters in when someone said "Hey...you know that's SK's son." By the time I finished it I was convinced that I had just read a book by a guy who was going to be one of the greats. I joined his message board and being the 100th member he awarded me with a signed copy of 20thCG (the original paperback)! So not only is he a great writer, but he's probably the most generous!

PS...The message board is pretty close to having it's 1000th member. Don't know if Joe will do the same thing, but it wouldn't hurt to try!

message 11: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments Welcome Rachel!

And there's my co-conspirator, Betsy Boo.....

"We're all in this together"

oh wait. That's not Joe Hill. That's his brother.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 90 comments Betsy wrote: "Geez Becky...you have my sympathy! Then again, Joe has never included a tour stop here in the south so you might be better off staying where you are!

I'm Betsy and I'm a HUGE Joe Hill fan. Sta..."

I miss the message board, been reading the blog but haven't been on the board since it was hacked. I won 4 signed paperback anthologies of sci-fi stories edited by Peter Crowther (who i think is Hill's editor?) in last March's Love Your Indie Contest. That was fun, be nice if he did it again.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Hey everyone! I'm Kathy and I live in Long Island, NY. I am a huge Joe Hill fan and have been for awhile! He's supposed to come to the bookstore that I work at tomorrow night and I hope it's still on. Crossing my fingers and toes...and everything else that I can think of! lol. Thanks for the invite, Chris! Its definitely being in another group with you! :)

message 14: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 18 comments All right!! I've been waiting for a group start on Joe Hill - As several have said, I haven't been this excited about a new author in years.

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 15 comments hi ya!

message 16: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments Oooo...welcome to Kathy, Bondama and Tom....

message 17: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 95 comments Looks like all of King's fans are going to be Hill fans too.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Kandice wrote: "Looks like all of King's fans are going to be Hill fans too."

Definitely, Kandice! He's great!

message 19: by Felina (new)

Felina Hi everybody! You all look familiar from one group or another. Geesh Becky and Chris, How many groups can you guys mod? When are you going to start the group devoted to the authors of Stupid Snow and The Reader Guy? Lol.

I've only read Heart Shaped Box and I loved it so I'm very happy that Chris invited me...even though its public and I could have joined without permission. I'm getting Horns from Bomc2 (or whatever) and it should be arriving shortly.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments *rubs hands together with glee* ALLLLLLLLL of them! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:P

message 21: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments Good to see you here too, Felina. You ask how many we can mod, but the question is, how many can you keep up with? How many of those supplimental characters can you remember? hehe..

message 22: by Felina (new)

Felina Bring it!!

message 23: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tawnycat) Hello, my name is Tanya, and I'm addicted to Joe Hill :) All it took was one book (Horns) to get me hooked on Joe.

^5's Chris for recommending Joe.

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments Welcome Tanya!! :)

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Welcome, Tanya! The more the merrier! :)

message 26: by Chris , The Devil Inside (last edited Mar 11, 2010 10:25AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments Good to see you finally listened to me and joined, Tanya. I know I've been feeding your reading addiction for years, but at least I point you to the truly great ones.

message 27: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tawnycat) Thanks Becky and Kathy.

Chris, I listen once in awhile, and when I do I'm glad that I did...even though you're my reading 'enabler' lol. But if it's any consolation, I've been addicted to reading since I was 4 years old, kind of a hard habit to kick after that long...and I'm glad you only provide the high grade stuff ;)

message 28: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments As long as you don't blame me for Twilight, we'll be okay....

message 29: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tawnycat) that's MA's fault lol

message 30: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Hello all, I am Lynne nice to meet ya! I am sorry Chris I have been slacking off on my groups lately. I will try to be a better groupie soon. I have alot going on right now! I am still reading, ( I cannot stop) but I have not really participated much in the discussions.

message 31: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments No problem, Lynne. We're pretty relaxed around here, and we'll be here whenever you have time....

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) hi everybody! I see lots of familiar faces here :) Chris originally invited me to the group but (as much as I ♥ Chris) I ignored it because I hadn't read any Joe Hill. I am now reading and LOVING Horns, so I decided I better get in here!

message 33: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 95 comments Welcome Allison! I've been waiting...

message 34: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments I guess we'd better install that doggie door after all! ;)

message 35: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 95 comments And possibly a pooper scooper:D

message 37: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments Well, ummm. I'm glad to see you Allison. Even if you ignored me for a bit. All's well and all.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) haha :) guess I wasn't ignoring you as much as Joe Hill...

message 39: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments Good answer....

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Welcome, Allison! To the group and to Joe Hill! :)

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan (ofearna) | 6 comments Hello all, my name is Susan, i live in Northern Arizona (Flagstaff). I adore the Locke & Key books, greatly enjoyed Heart-Shaped Box (even tho I picked it up with misconceptions) and am currently reading Horns with 20CG on my TBR.

message 42: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments Welcome Susan... :)

What do you mean you picked up HSB with misconceptions?

message 43: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 123 comments The girl in the window...

Hello, Susan. And well met.

message 44: by Susan (last edited Feb 18, 2011 10:54AM) (new)

Susan (ofearna) | 6 comments Ever heard of Joe Linsner? He has several paintings for the character Dawn titled Heart-Shaped Box and I thought Joe Hill's was linked in some way to Joe Linsner's

[image error]

message 45: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments Ahhhh... I see. Well then it was fate (or Ka if you're into Joe's dad's work too) that you should find it! :)

message 46: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) Hey everyone! Some of you are familiar....:) Anyways, I have yet to read a Joe Hill book. They are ALL on my TBR list..Its rather large! A lot of you have talked about Hill's books, especially 'Horns', and its made me eager to read his books. But first, I have to get through his dad's mad stack of books...Getting there!

message 47: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 172 comments Wooo! A new member! Go forth and multiply! :D

Welcome Kathryn! Good to see you. Joe's books are fantastic, bu very unlike Papa King's. I hope you love them. :)

message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Welcome, Kathryn! :)

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Also, hello, Susan! :)

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 90 comments Welcome, Kathryn!

« previous 1