The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > I want to add more to my TBR but have no idea where to start

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) I really enjoy reading book jackets and finding books that I am interested in. I know that I have enough books on my TBR but this is something I not only enjoy for later but for when I am bored. I was wondering if anyone could help me find a place to start finding other books for my TBR.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 119 comments When I'm bored I like to 'snoop.' I check out the lists of people who have a large read list and see if any catch my eye. I view them using the cover only views and set it to 200 so I have a large list to look at. I've found a lot of random ones this way. The book lists are good in the find books section, but they do tend to repeat themselves.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) Thanks Kate, I am going to look at your books first :).

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena I look at the bookshelf of the groups I am in. I find the books are usually what I like to read (that is why I am in the group, no?). Picking a book from the shelf of the group, gives you also the chance to join or read the discussion of the book. The thread are kept opened for months.

message 5: by Clare (new)

Clare I am also guilty of snooping. I like to read reviews and if the poster's opinions are similar to mine I have a look through their shelves to see what else they liked. I guess it's about what particular genres are your favourites GR have a lot of good lists with heaps of suggestions (although some are a bit dodgy). Good luck!

message 6: by VMom (last edited Feb 24, 2010 06:59AM) (new)

VMom (votermom) | 42 comments There are a couple of GR authors who I follow that I have noticed their ratings closely match mine. I've picked up quite a few good books I wouldn't otherwise have read because of their recs.
I also snoop occasionally, and don't mind if people snoop my shelves either (which is why they are public).

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) Thanks everyone!

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol I thought snooping was a prerequisite here. I always snoop. If its public , it is for me to look at. Also friends we make on here have recommended great books.

message 9: by Clare (new)

Clare I'm feeling a lot better about the snooping. It has lead me to some great books.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Sarah, snooping informs me that your to-read shelf has 566 books on it. You sure you need more? :)

ps: I'm judging you just a tiny bit for "Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul."

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 266 comments Sarah, something I do is look in the folder OUR PERSONAL READING GOALS, for what others are reading and have enjoyed.

message 12: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) I LOOOOVE TO SNOOP! (and then after I "compare books"... because apparently this is my version of fun :P) I also set the page limit to 200 books because it's easier to look past the books I'm not interested in or have already read. Also, I like to look at the "recently reviewed" section of "find books". You get to see a lot of stuff you normally wouldn't.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Erika, I always do the compare thing too. I'm obsessed with it. You and I: not much in common. But I just bought the Communist Manifesto this week; that's next for me.

message 14: by JSou (new)

JSou Alex wrote: "Sarah, snooping informs me that your to-read shelf has 566 books on it. You sure you need more? :)

ps: I'm judging you just a tiny bit for "Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul.""

You are a funny guy, Alex. Just being on Goodreads and constantly seeing what everyone is reading has catapulted my TBR list to where it's quite overwhelming. I LOVE IT, though.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex And I'm judging you for not loving Love in the Time of Cholera, Jessica. Shocking! Although I see your point about all the enemas.

message 16: by JSou (new)

JSou Ha! The whole thing just got so disburbing for me. But really Alex, 3 stars to Ghostwritten? Really?!?

message 17: by El (last edited Feb 26, 2010 10:53AM) (new)

El With friends like that who needs enemas?

message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex Oh, El.

Yeah, I get a lot of flack for not loving Ghostwritten. I dunno, the whole...I don't want to throw spoilers around, but the ending didn't really work for me. I guess we all get a mulligan or two?

message 19: by JSou (new)

JSou Ok, I now love this thread. (Though I'm sure Sarah didn't expect her thread to take this turn...Sorry Sarah!)

And yes Alex, you are forgiven. Especially since you love Verne. :)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) Just because their on my TBR shelf doesn't mean I am going to read all of them. It just gives me plenty of options to choose from which is why I love it. Plus I just have fun reading the plot description.

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex We should have an official thread where we just bash each other for not liking books we love. "The Thread Of Dire Judgment."

message 22: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Ha! This thread is quite amusing. Almost as amusing as the Monthly Group Read thread has become. And both involving Alex. Hmmmm. :)

message 23: by JSou (new)

JSou Yay for The Thread of Dire Judgment! I know there's the thread for "Books You Didn't Like" but the Dire Judgement sounds like tons o' fun.

message 24: by Alex (new)

Alex Y'know, I was kidding when I said that, but...okay, sure.

We should place bets on how long it takes for someone's feelings to get really hurt. I'll say ten posts. And then I'm gonna feel like a total a-hole.

Sorry to totally derail your thread, Sarah. That's sortof a natural talent of mine. This might not be too helpful, but I always read book reviews from the NY Times, Washington Post, AV Club and NPR; I get a ton of great ideas from those.

message 25: by El (new)

El It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye! Or... gets upset about tastes in books.

I second the NPR suggestion. Reading non-fiction usually turns me on to other titles too, either in the bibliography or just in the text of the book.

message 26: by JSou (new)

JSou You guys are right. I can see how even in good fun, the topic alone would be easily offensive.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Sarah - how about 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff? I thought of it immediately when I was reading Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's pretty short and a fast read.

message 28: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments I read reviews in NY times, Philadelphia Inquirer, Literary Guild, Bookmarks magazine, People Magazine B&N web site. I clip reviews, obsess from a few days sometimes weeks and then go on a binge which I just did. 6 from Literary Guild,4 at B&N Store, 1 on B & N internet. My other downfall is when an author I like releases a new book..I AM DOOMED !!!

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol The New Yorker, People ,like Marci , if an author I like releases a new book , I am doomed also. I am waiting for Pat Conroy's book to come out in paperback.

message 31: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments I have South of Broad in my pile but have not gotten to it yet.

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol He is a favorite of mine. I have liked all of his books.

message 33: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild Sarah wrote: "I really enjoy reading book jackets and finding books that I am interested in. I know that I have enough books on my TBR but this is something I not only enjoy for later but for when I am bored. I ..."
I know this sounds cheesey, but I use Amazon as a resource lots. When I find a book that interests me I always look at "what others have bought" and their recommendations. Also, Goodreads has been a tremendous source...so much that my TBR and Kindle samples are busting at the seams! I have found several people here that read or have read similar books to mine and I follow them.

message 34: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments I have not typed in my TBR since I have probably 200+ books which i presently own on my list