Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > any help?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 164 comments I love Paranormal romance, and recently finished the first two books in Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers trilogy. I also love Cassandra Clare, Suzanne Collins, Percy Jackson, the Lovely bones, Neil Gaiman, Vampire Academy, etc.
My problem is that these books all fall under the teenage section, and as an adult, I feel a bit odd scoping out the kids sections. Do you have any reccomendations for books for me?
I prefer plot driven books to ones with pretty prose, but a mix of both would be like Heaven in a book!

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments I am not really sure what qualifies as PNR and UF, but here are a few books that I really LOVE!!
American Gods, Storm Front, Stray, Dark Lover, Dead Until Dark,Moon Called, and Halfway to the Grave. All of these, but American Gods is series. I hope that gives you some good reads. Sorry if it is not PNR enough for you.

message 3: by Archer (new)

Archer | 238 comments Mairead wrote: "I love Paranormal romance, and recently finished the first two books in Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers trilogy. I also love Cassandra Clare, Suzanne Collins, Percy Jackson, the Lovely bones, Nei..."

You could always read the Dark Hunter series by Kenyon

Sherrilyn Kenyon

Or the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 280 comments Mairead wrote: "I love Paranormal romance, and recently finished the first two books in Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers trilogy. I also love Cassandra Clare, Suzanne Collins, Percy Jackson, the Lovely bones, Nei..."

Kelley Armstrong has a series called Women of the Underworld. It is a very good series

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments Patricia Briggs' Mercy and Alpha/Omega books are really good too.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments Lots of adults are reading YA books now so don't feel weird about it. :)

Here are some non-YA books:

Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian
Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs (just started this series and really like it)

And some YA books that I loved:

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater

message 7: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 164 comments Thanks!
I've read up to Dead to the World in the Sookie Stackhouse, and the first three in the Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris, But Sometimes I find them really hard to get through, whereas with other books, I would fly through them.
I loved Shiver and Hush Hush is very good. I'll have to check all of these suggestions out. Thanks agains!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 280 comments Mairead wrote: "Thanks!
I've read up to Dead to the World in the Sookie Stackhouse, and the first three in the Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris, But Sometimes I find them really hard to get through, whe..."

I really loved Living dead in Dallas and Dead to the World. They were my fav. Hush Hush was a very good book.

message 9: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 164 comments My favourite was Dead to the world. I actually think the Tv show workd better as a whole than the books, but that's just me.
I love themortal instruments

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 280 comments Dead to the world is when I fell in love with Eric

message 11: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 164 comments Same. Eric is the best. Bill is just a pansy! a wet drip of a vamp

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lilmissiec) | 5 comments Ok I am racking my brain trying to remember the name of this book I read an excert from. it had a part in there where this vampire meets this woman at a club and he charms her into letting him come by later so he sneaks into her house that she left unlocked for him he lays in bed with her she is naked of course and when he starts making out with her and about the time he is going to bite her neck he discovers a tattoo /birthmark behind her ear that is the symbol of a vampire mate..does this sound familar to anybody.. Please help!!! thanks

message 13: by Amara (new)

Amara (amarasplace) | 3 comments Melissa wrote: "Ok I am racking my brain trying to remember the name of this book I read an excert from. it had a part in there where this vampire meets this woman at a club and he charms her into letting him come..."

Perhaps one of Lara Adrian "Midnight Breed" books. I think it's hers that has the "breed mark"

message 14: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments That is Kiss of Midnight. She thinks she is dreaming. The first two in this series are weaker than the rest. I really like book 3.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lilmissiec) | 5 comments thanks so much that is the book Kiss of Midnight..so the excert i read seemed really good..have you read the book

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments I've read all of the Midnight Breed books except the most recent. I love them all. There is a constant storyline that goes through the books so you'll probably want to start with the first one.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lilmissiec) | 5 comments how many are there in the series?

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments There are 7 so far. The 8th book is due out at the end of August. They seem to get better and better as they go along.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lilmissiec) | 5 comments thats great..I have been looking for a new series to dig my teeth into..no pun intended.lol. thanks again for the information

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments You're welcome! Just be aware that they are a little more on the erotic side. The Sookie Stackhouse series is good too and is a little more tame. ;)