Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

Newbery 2011 > Probably not a future Newbery...

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Feb 22, 2010 10:42AM) (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 533 comments Mod
I just finished The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz, author of Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village Newbery 2008. It's a fun read, but I'm not sure if it's a future Newbery or not. Has anyone else read it? I think it will be popular, but...

message 2: by Suebee (new)

Suebee I just read it, and I think it fills a nice little niche in the children's lit world. It's a slim chapter book with a lively - although somewhat selfish - little fairy protagonist. I am thinking of my 1st-2nd grade students that would love to hear this read aloud to them (it's too difficult for them to read it to themselves). I am wondering if 3rd-4th grade girls and up would avoid picking it up to avoid seeming too 'babyish.' I don't think it's a candidate for the Newbery. The illustrations are LOVELY, though...I truly wish more chapter books included illustrations. (I even wish this for adult books.) :)

message 3: by Karlan (new)

Karlan | 7 comments Suebee wrote: "I just read it, and I think it fills a nice little niche in the children's lit world. It's a slim chapter book with a lively - although somewhat selfish - little fairy protagonist. I am thinking ..."

Which book?

message 4: by Kristen (new)

The Night Fairy. I really liked it but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it wasn't a future Newbery. It's certainly good though.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 84 comments Suebee wrote: "I just read it, and I think it fills a nice little niche in the children's lit world. It's a slim chapter book with a lively - although somewhat selfish - little fairy protagonist. I am thinking ..."
I agree that this is a lovely book, and the illustrations were absolutely beautiful. I do think third and fourth graders would enjoy it and I plan on introducing it to a group that also enjoyed the Penderwicks and Amulet. While it may not be a Newberry winner, I think it is noteworthy.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

I just finished Keys to the Demon Prison by Brandon Mull. It was the final book in the Fablehaven series. While it is probably not a future Newbery the entire series is deffinatly worth reading. I highly recommend them. Has anyone else read them?

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie | 11 comments Kristen wrote: "I just finished Keys to the Demon Prison by Brandon Mull. It was the final book in the Fablehaven series. While it is probably not a future Newbery the entire series..."

The first book is part of the Rebecca Caudill nominee list here in Illinois, and I have to say that I enjoyed the audio much more than I initially thought I would. I have had that series recommended to me by a couple of different patrons, so I'm kind of excited that all the books are out now and I'll be able to tackle them without having to wait/suffer for the next installment!

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Falling In by Frances O'Roark Dowell was interesting, but I don't think it's a future Newbery. It was really slow at the beginning, and I found some of the narrative distracting. I didn’t start enjoying the story until I was halfway through the book. I’m sure it will appeal more to younger audiences, maybe 2nd grade girls.

message 9: by Kristen (last edited May 12, 2010 07:43AM) (new)

Brandon Mulls Keys to the Demon Prison was enjoyable. While it is not a future Newbery the series is quite good. I love how kids turn into book worms just to finish the series. They are deffinatly worth reading. For me this is the next Harry Potter.

message 10: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristine_a) | 71 comments I'm in the middle of reading them - #4 is sitting on my shelf. And yes, I'm loving them and recommending them to all my friends!

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Number five was not my favorite, but still good.

message 12: by Kristen (new)

I finished The Birthday Ball by Lois Lowry. It was cute and will be very popular with young girls but it's not a future Newbery, in my opinion. In fact all young kids would probably enjoy this book, it's a good read aloud story.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kathleena) | 34 comments I read The Birthday Ball by Lois Lowry and enjoyed it but it isn't Newbery worthy. I also finished Leaving Gee's Bend and loved it. It was hard to read at times but well worth it.

message 14: by Kristen (new)

I read Alchemy and Meggy Swann by Karen Cushman, I enjoyed it enough but it didn't strike me as a future Newbery. Has anyone else read it. I enjoyed The Midwife's Apprentice by Cushman more.

message 15: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Davis | 5 comments I agree with you totally, Kristen.

message 16: by Kristen (last edited Jul 12, 2010 07:53PM) (new)

Polly Horvath wrote Northward to the Moon and I must say I was disappointed. I loved her other books Everything on a Waffle and The Trolls so I wanted to enjoy this one but it just didn't happen for me. I didn't even know it was a sequel.

message 17: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 11 comments Oh! I really loved the Horvath. I had some issues at first with the voice. MC felt a little overwritten, too wise for a kid. But then I adjusted, got swept up in it and totally gulped it down. Found myself thinking, "Well, if kids can be wizards and demi-gods, maybe we should be willing to suspend disbelief and accept them as poets and old souls too."

message 18: by Lana (new)

Lana Krumwiede | 16 comments I tried reading My Life with the Lincolns but gave up at the half-way point. It seemed very unfocused to me and nothing really drew me in. I was expecting humor but it wasn't that funny. Also, some of the sentiments of the main character did not seem to match the time period, IMO.

Compared to the other historical fiction published this year, like Coundown and One Crazy summer, this one clearly falls short.

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher was interesting, but not a future Newbery.

message 20: by Kristen (new)

I read Green by Laura Peyton Roberts. It was cute and very fun. Mid Elementary school kids will really enjoy it, but I don't think it's a future Newbery.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (miss_jenlv) | 10 comments I really enjoyed The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Sam Riddleberger. I kept seeing mentioned as something to suggest for Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans (I'm not a huge fan myself) so I was a little skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised at what a fun little read it was.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen | 11 comments Jennifer wrote: "I really enjoyed The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Sam Riddleberger. I kept seeing mentioned as something to suggest for Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans (I'm not a huge fan myself) so I was a little sk..."

I also enjoyed The Strange Case of Origami Yoda. Haven't gotten any kids to read it yet, but I think they will enjoy it.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

I loved The Dreamer, I thought The Dancing Pancake was cute but forgetable, and Sunshine Picklelime was tough for me to wade through. Picklelime is not Newbery material.

message 24: by Kristen (last edited Nov 08, 2010 09:00AM) (new)

Smile by Raina Telgemeier was a wonderful book. While I don't think it is a future Newbery I do think kids should read it. It has a good message for kids and I think it is presented in a way they can relate with.

message 25: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) | 80 comments Origami Yoda has done really well at my library - it's barely been on the shelf since we got it in. And I do have it on our Wimpy Kid read-alikes list, but I also think the cover and premise (and Star Wars reference) are really appealing to kids. Now if I could just find time to read it myself...