Deaf/ Sign Language discussion

learning ASL

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (spaz01) | 2 comments Could anyone recommend some books that are good to help in learning ASL?

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 3 comments I don't really know of any "good" books for learning ASL but if you have internet access, you can check out Dr. Bill Vicar's website for learning ASL, he has videos of individual signs available. The site is www.lifeprint.com. Enjoy!

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (spaz01) | 2 comments Thanks that is most helpful!

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1 comments There is a good website: aslpro.com.

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika | 1 comments The best website is WestwoodASL.com. Deaf ASL teacher, fantastic video instruction.

message 6: by Eclarep (new)

Eclarep | 4 comments I am Deaf (I sign and speak) and I used Master ASL when I taught non-credit classes in college.
The best way to learn is to find a class in your area. Deaf organizations, community colleges and some churches offer classes.
Try finding a deaf teacher.
I must admit I wasn't the best teacher on cultural aspects because I left my deaf/hearing school in 5th grade because I was accepted into an academically more challenging private school. So while I can sign fluently, I haven't been in an intense all deaf environment.

message 7: by Eclarep (new)

Eclarep | 4 comments The last lune above should read 'all deaf environment for many years'.

message 8: by Todd (last edited May 18, 2011 07:46PM) (new)

Todd (motorcitysattva) I recently started learning ASL. I didn't really know where to start; I used my library to sift through ASL texts, dictionaries, etc. I think each person needs to find what is right for them, because I know many of the books that I liked often had low to moderate reviews.

For example, everyone seems to love Lou Fant's books, but I thought the illustrations were frustrating. I really like the Random House Webster's Dictionary of ASL though. I have also used children's DVDs like Signing Times to teach me the basic signs. I am a librarian, so signs for book, read, etc. are really helpful.

A couple other books I liked were 1,000 Words to Sign (includes a DVD that is great) and Learn Sign Language in a Hurry. They aren't exhaustive texts, but they are helpful for beginners.

Personally, I prefer well done DVDs. I think books fall short due to their photos/illustrations. The reason I like Random House is because they do a good job of explaining.

If you can afford it, community colleges often offer 1 or 2 ASL courses.

message 9: by Kiwi (new)

Kiwi Craner (kiwicraner27) | 5 comments Samantha wrote: "I don't really know of any "good" books for learning ASL but if you have internet access, you can check out Dr. Bill Vicar's website for learning ASL, he has videos of individual signs available. T..."

Dr. Bill is AMAZING! really kind too. i totally recommend it

message 10: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments My Name Shana Harris I am 20 year old and I am Deaf I dont speak and I sign..I am new on here

message 11: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments My Name Shana Harris I am 20 year old and I'm Deaf I dont speak and I sign I am new on here

message 12: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) Hi. I am Deaf. And use sign, I can speak (grew up oral) but I am usually voice off.
I don't like to speak. As soon as I do hearing people forget I am Deaf and start talking to me and I am not best lip reader!

message 13: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Kym wrote: "Hi. I am Deaf. And use sign, I can speak (grew up oral) but I am usually voice off.
I don't like to speak. As soon as I do hearing people forget I am Deaf and start talking to me and I am not best..."

I suck reading people lip..I dont like speak hard to talkin and I am Deaf too, I use sign

message 14: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) Hearing people will talk even after I sign 'I'm Deaf' they just talk and talk. I don't understand??

message 15: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Kym wrote: "Hearing people will talk even after I sign 'I'm Deaf' they just talk and talk. I don't understand??"

Some time my friends forget I am Deaf and They start talkin I dont know what they talking about and I sign to people I am Deaf they dont know i want sign

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments Hi,

I'm Michael. This is quite a diverse group. I was hearing until my 44th year when I woke up near deaf. I learned ASL and wear hearing aids. Since I couldn't understand my students, I left teaching over a decade ago. I wrote "Goodbye Tchaikovsky" a novel about a young violinist losing his hearing. I think all of us can relate to the main character's plight. You can order a copy of the book on the Royal Fireworks Press website.

Best wishes,
Michael Thal

message 17: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Michael wrote: "Hi,

I'm Michael. This is quite a diverse group. I was hearing until my 44th year when I woke up near deaf. I learned ASL and wear hearing aids. Since I couldn't understand my students, I left teac..."

Wait, You woke up Deaf

message 18: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) Wow woke up deaf??

message 19: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Wow, I never seen some one just woke up Deaf

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments I went to sleep with perfect hearing. I woke up with a severe hearing loss. Six years later my right ear went deaf. My left ear isn't far behind. Without hearing aids I hear very little. The hearing aids help, but it depends on the environment I'm in.

message 21: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Michael wrote: "I went to sleep with perfect hearing. I woke up with a severe hearing loss. Six years later my right ear went deaf. My left ear isn't far behind. Without hearing aids I hear very little. The hearin..."

I dont wear aids anymore when i was 2 year old I cant hear my mom readin a book to me I dont like to talkin and I turn teen I stop wear aids..I am Deaf too Michael

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments I don't like wearing the aids, either. But, for one-on-one conversation in a quiet room, they work great. I wish I had more friends who sign to me.

message 23: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Do you want been my friend and I use sign Can you talkin I dont like talkin this is hard to talkin I will sign to you and We can been friends you want too Michael

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments Sounds great. I prefer to sign without voice. Voice just slows me down.
Where do you live?

message 25: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments I live in Nashville, AR and I dont use my voice I use sign more, Do you use your voice and Can you know how sign Michael I wont use the voice

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments When I sign to someone, I don't use voice.

message 27: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Me too, you can sign to me and Can you know how use sign..hard use my voice i just use sign and Do you want been my best friends WE BOTH DEAF

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments Sounds like a plan.

message 29: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Do you want been my best friend

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments Let's start with friends and work from there.

message 31: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Do you know how to sign Michael

message 32: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) Michael did your doctor say what caused sudden hearing loss? Where can I find your book?

message 33: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Did your say doctor what hearing loss

message 34: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Kym, Did you birth Deaf

message 35: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) No age 9 I become deaf from illness.

message 36: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Kym, oh ok What happen turn you Deaf and I was 2 or 3 year old turn Deaf I cant speak hard my mom told me I just talkn sounds

message 37: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments The doctors said I contracted a virus. The first attack forced me to buy my first set of hearing aides. The second attack, six years later, turned my "good" ear deaf. Since then it has been a slow progressive process of hearing loss.

message 38: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Michael, oh ok What happen turn you Deaf and I was 2 or 3 year old turn Deaf I cant speak hard my mom told me I just talkn sounds

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments I really don't know. Like I said, one day I was hearing and the next I was hard-of-hearing. Six years later the virus returned making my right ear deaf. My left ear hears about 40% of what a normal person with normal hearing hears.

message 40: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Michael, oh ok, some day you well find how you turn Deaf and I wish i can speak again but i cant speak and I just speak sounds Wait can you speak or you can do both sign and speak.. I well sick children Next day I turn 2 or 3 year old I just Stop same time speak and hears Dr. sides to my mom I am Deaf

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments I can speak. Remember, I lost my hearing at the ripe old age of 44. LOL

message 42: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Michael, I cant speak. My mom want me speak some words, I lost my hearing 2 year old..I just speak sounds

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments My friend, Troy, doesn't speak either. However, he's a very successful actor.

message 44: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments oh ok, I dont speak any words I just do sign, My mom want do some words speak it..I cant do it to hard I just speak sounds

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments There's no reason in the world for you to have to speak. Does your mother sign?

message 46: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments She dont wont do sign. I dont want speak too hard me and I trying teach my mom sigh she wont to, she want me to speak not sigh I sigh to her NO I AM NOT SPEAK I JUST WANT SIGH TO MY FRIENDS NOT SPEAK I AM HAPPY DO MY SIGN MY FRIENDS

message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments Your mother is 100% wrong. She should learn to sign. It should be her top priority. She's the mom. She should act like one. And you can tell her I said so.

message 48: by Shana (new)

Shana Harris | 36 comments Ok thanks you, her mom is deaf she was teen she trying teach her sign she wont to, My mom told her I am Deaf. She teach me to sign i was children..My mom mad at her she teach me to sign..I turn 15 year old my mom want me speak NOT sign I TURN 17 YEAR OLD TOLD HER I WILL NEVER SPEAK ANY WORDS I JUST WANT SIGN..I AM SOOO HAPPY DOING SIGN MY FRIENDS AND SIGN TO MY FAMILY HER MY SIDES THEY DEAF..My mom side they not Deaf

message 49: by Kym (new)

Kym (kymthevirgo) Shana I had Mumps age 9. High fever caused me to go deaf. I learned signed.

message 50: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 16 comments I've been verbal my entire life, as I have one completely hearing ear. Within the past few years though I've started learning ASL and I'm proud of my progress.

I just got a hearing aid recently, and it works okay though I'm goin to get a better one when I can afford it.

I don't have as much of a problem when people speak verbally to me, but when I'm in public (store, library, etc) I tend to go voice off to avoid having to associate with many people. I've never signed to a hearing person that I'm deaf, but I have occasionally tapped my ear and shook my head with a confused look on my face. That works for me.

« previous 1