Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Reading Challenge > YA Reading Challenge #4: Ideas and Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Yep, it's that time again. Challenge three is half(ish) over, and it's time to start thinking about the future.
It looks like you're going to have to deal with me for Round 4 (run while you may), so here's the direction I would like to take this round:
We've touched on it before, but I really like the idea of stretching yourself and "reading outside the box." You know, not just going for the comfort level, but trying new stuff, giving new authors and genres a chance, etc.

So I need your ideas, my Wild Things. Same basic set-up, with different difficulty levels. The categories could be New Authors, New Genres, New Formats (ie verse books, drama, etc), or whatever you may come up with that's brilliant. I want there also to be a Comfort Zone category where you can choose the things you normally would, but with a slant. Maybe you have to convince people this is the way to go, or you reread your old comfort books and see how they measure up, etc.

(And for those of you who say "But I read all genres/authors already" I know there's plenty out there you haven't read, and that you never thought you'd pick up...)

I don't want this to feel like homework, but I think it feel fantastic discovering something new that you like, so I want us to have fun with it.

So I have two questions:
Are you game?
What are your ideas?

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Misty wrote: "Yep, it's that time again. Challenge three is half(ish) over, and it's time to start thinking about the future.
It looks like you're going to have to deal with me for Round 4 (run while you may),..."

Bring it, Misty! :-)

message 3: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Misty!! Lovely to see you.

My only suggestion is to keep the first category, which has been consistent through the challenges and focuses on our board.

Lovely to see your post. If you need any help, please let me know.

message 4: by Kellee (last edited Feb 20, 2010 10:39AM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I think you should put an audiobook so people try them :)

I really love the challenges. So much fun!

message 5: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
What about if we (somehow, I'm sick at the moment so my brain isn't functioning at it's best, give me a few days and I might think up a way to do this) partner up or something and have someone else chose our lists for us? So let's say Misty and I were partners, we could have "normal" challenge tasks, but I would pick Misty's books and she would pick mine. There could be some leeway (for example, I get most of my books from the library, so if I couldn't get my hands on some of her choices she'd have to pick some back-ups). This way, not only am I reading books I may have never heard of before, I get to meet someone new. You could probably even have a different partner for each group of tasks or something. Does any of this make sense??

message 6: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Jennifer W wrote: "What about if we (somehow, I'm sick at the moment so my brain isn't functioning at it's best, give me a few days and I might think up a way to do this) partner up or something and have someone else..."

Or there could be one section where we have partners.

(Hope you feel better Jennifer W.)

message 7: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

That's much more practical. Thanks, Kellee. I've just got a stupid cold, it's turned my brain to mush!

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I like the partner idea. I guess we all better make sure we're up to date on our Read lists, if our partner is trying to pick us something we haven't already finished!

I would not be against lending books to my partner either... Media mail within the US is fairly inexpensive. Maybe a swap?

message 9: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments I like both the stretch your comfort zone and partner up ideas. I wouldn't be opposed to lending books out either, I go to the post office for paperbackswap anyway :)

message 10: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Fiona: Ohhh, that could be fun. Maybe I could have a stock list of 20-30, each assigned a number, and each person will get a randomly generated #...
Kelle: Absolutely! I have never listened to an audio book, so that would stretch me, and plenty of libraries carry them, and you can get some online, so it would be feasible.
Jennifer: I like the idea of having someone else choose for one section, or even 3 books within a section. Do you think the person should choose their personal favorites, or just whatever they think will fill the task? Maybe we can have 1 task in each section where we read our buddy's favorite for that task (ie every 5-pointer would be a buddy pick).

I like it, keep 'em coming.

message 11: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

I think it should be favorites, but I think page limits might be a good idea. I'd hate to be stuck reading a 700 page tome; while it might be someone's favorite it might not be someone else's idea of a good time!

message 12: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Maybe the buddies could agree on a page limit between themselves.

message 13: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Good idea.

message 14: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Would the partners be pre-made or random or would we choose them?
I don't know too many people in the group... that is why I am wondering...

message 15: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I think random would be cool, don't you? Another step in getting outside your comfort zone! The only problem I foresee is someone not really participating after she/he's been paired up. I guess at that point we could pick a default buddy? (Misty maybe?)

message 16: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I think for it to be random, since the group is so huge now, we would have to have some sort of agreement. Like a sign up, so that I would have a list of people that are agreeing not to flake. And if worse came to worst, we could have set stand bys, like me, Lydia, you Angela [ ;p :], and anyone else willing.

message 17: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Hehe.. fair enough!

I agree though, a sign-up would be best. And that'd add an extra element of accountability too! I like...

message 18: by Misty (last edited Feb 20, 2010 07:38PM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Maybe the buddy system could be bonus points in each category.

The Buddy Bonus!!!

message 19: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

That was my fear too, Angela. Perhaps when you're ready for a buddy task you could ask for one?

message 20: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Alright, re: Lydia...
I like the idea of having consistency in the challenges by keeping the first, but is there any way we can put a spin on it? I mean, the first few, I don't think we could really change, but what about the other two?
Maybe instead of read any 5-star book, that could be a buddy recommendation. It wouldn't even have to be their 5-star review; they could look through the WT members shelves and choose the 5-star book they want their buddy to read, and v.v.
And for the last, it could be to read a YA series that you wouldn't normally pick up, or two books by an popular WT ya author, or in a WT ya genre that you hadn't intended to ever read. That way, it's not just a 1-book trial of that author/genre, but an extended sampling.

You guys got any other ideas?

What areas do you normally need pushing in? What do you avoid?

message 21: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I have a ton of classics on my shelves (Moby Dick, a Tale of Two Cities, 1984, etc.) but have not had any motivation to read them. I always want to, but something newer comes up and takes the place.

I can't think of anything else that I actively avoid...

message 22: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I take that back. I'm not much into religious, historical or non-fiction either. Of course, there are always exceptions, but for the most part I don't choose them.

message 23: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Ditto on the religious fiction, AS, a bit on the other two as well. I read (and always have read) a ton of classics, but I think it should definitely be on the list.

Anyone know of some good websites or lists that we can give to people for the challenge, especially of good non-fiction for YAs, good dramas, etc? I don't want to paint us into a corner of reading boring stuff just because it fits.

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth (bll1010) | 86 comments When will the new challenge start, Misty?

message 25: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments When the current one ends. Since they've all been 3-monthers, this will be too, so April, May & June. I would like to have the ideas up and ready to go a few weeks into March, so that people have at least a week, preferably more, to track down choices (and get a potential buddy).

message 26: by Lydia (last edited Feb 25, 2010 05:49AM) (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Hey all,

I think this sounds awesome! I don't mind being a standby. I LOVE the idea of random buddies and think that adds creativity to the challenge.

Misty, you could incorporate one of LindaGrace's ongoing challenge into the standard -- the themes provide lots of leeway.

Also, don't worry too much about a 700 pg tome; there are very few in YA that can truly command a YA's attention that long (unlike some of the Russian standards I read in English lit!).

I have found some religious YA fiction which is vastly improved over the ones written in the 50s. The key would be finding them.

Areas I think could benefit from more participation on the boards would be gay and multicultural.

I'm ready to start picking (as soon as I can see clearly)! Hope everyone else is!

Oh, and Misty be ready! We have some wonderfully dedicated readers here. You will have such fun. And be prepared for your own TBR list to expand! Tee, hee!

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments Hmmmm...HMMMMM....!!

http://benbabcock.ca/images/stats/200...

Find a genre you read the most. Then read the pie slice directly across from it on the pie chart above!

message 28: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments That is super neato, Tanja. Except mine gives me "other". Hehe...

message 29: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments It is interesting, though. Maybe we could have a genre roulette for one of the tasks/categories.

message 30: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments I could create a genre roulette image. Don't know how to spin it. But could add any if you lemme know which ones you'd like.

message 31: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Cool. Let me mull is over and I'll get you a list. Maybe they could be numbered, and the roulette part would be a randomly generated number.

message 32: by Kellee (last edited Mar 09, 2010 07:22PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Misty, how's the challenge going? (Just checking in :D) Need any help?

message 33: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I'm mulling over questions and sections right now, with the aim of having it up in the next week or so. So any question suggestions or things you'd like to see on it would be great...

message 34: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Alright, I have a quick question for whoever cares. I am trying to decide whether to make "buddy" tasks their own section (ie all of section 4 is chosen by the buddy) or in addition to, ie Buddy Bonus. Thoughts/preferences?

message 35: by Misty (last edited Mar 09, 2010 08:36PM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Me again. Here are my ideas for sections. If anyone has something else they'd like to see or they think would look better, let me know. Also, if you have task ideas for the sections, let me know.

Official: this will be the normal stuff we have every challenge, with maybe a few twists

Broaden your horizons: A cultural slant, encouraging you to read from other viewpoints/races/beliefs, as well as translated/published in another country, etc.

Reading Out of Your Box: this would be the genre section, with genre roulette, the randomly assigned Misty pick (if that happens), different styles (drama, poetic, graphic, non-prose, etc)

Build a Better Reader: This one would be interactive. In this section, you'll be encouraged to share your love of reading and books and make your opinion known through discussions and reviews, encouraged to read a book with a young adult in your life, etc. It's the get-up-and-get-out-there section.

What do you think? Should we keep the Official section? Anyone burned out on it? Want changes? Have ideas? Lemme know!

message 36: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments ps. Still planning on keeping the increasing point values set-up. And ignore my first question, cause I think we should go with the Buddy Bonus instead of a whole section, unless there's an overwhelming call for it.

message 37: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Mar 10, 2010 07:10AM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Misty wrote: "Me again. Here are my ideas for sections. If anyone has something else they'd like to see or they think would look better, let me know. Also, if you have task ideas for the sections, let me know..."

I wouldn't mind dumping the official section this time. It's nice to have the challenges evolve to keep us interested and the group fresh.

And I think Buddy Bonus is good, that way people aren't forced to play nice with others. (You know that us readers can be a solitary bunch!)

message 38: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Okay, I'm just going to go ahead and post the questions for perusal. Note: this is NOT the final edit, so don't plan your books accordingly. This is for recommendations and suggestions for tweaking.
I kept the Official section but skewed it to our purposes. If we want it gone, it can be, but I need a new section idea.

The rules are basically the same as always. All books are to be previously unread (with the possible exception of task 4.10) unless you can make a good case for why you should get to read it.
Buddy Bonuses are worth 5 points apiece, with an bonus 5 for completing every task and Buddy Bonus, for a total points possible = 325.

OFFICIAL SECTION:
5 pts: Read a "Top Ya Novel" from our group list that you previously had no intention of reading.
10 pts: Read a book that someone in the group (or on Goodreads) has been "pushing" you to read, but that you've avoided because it's in a genre you don't normally read.
15 pts: Read a book from any thread in a folder that you never go into (ie, I have never once opened the mystery folder, or the Religion folder; I would choose a book mentioned in a thread in one of these folders)
20: Read a 5-star book from a WT member you've never conversed with, and then discuss it with them.
25: Read 2 books from a series (or 2 books from 1 author) from a different culture, or in a genre you don't read.
Buddy Bonus: Buddy gets to pick 1 book for you to read that fits any of the above. This is in addition to what you read for each task.

BROADENING YOUR HORIZONS:
5: Read any book that is NOT in your native language (ie translated into your language).
10: Read any book written by someone of another culture, ethnicity or viewpoint.
15: Read 2 award winners from 2 different countries other than your own (ie, both the book and the award are from another country). [There would be lists, some we have already:]
20: Read 2 books, 1 fiction and 1 non-fiction, about a real event (current or historical) that is NOT a part of your cultural heritage (ie, took place in another country, revolves around another ethnicity or belief, etc)
25: Read 3 books from 3 cultures/countries that revolve around the same topic or theme (or similar)
Buddy Bonus: You and buddy choose together 1 fairy tale from another country to read, and 1 retelling based on that fairy tale.

READING OUT OF YOUR BOX:
5: Listen to an audiobook.
10: Look on GR for "Best of" lists in a genre you don't read, and read something from one of the lists that interests you.
15: Genre Roulette! [There will be a list or graphic for this, and randomly generated numbers.:] + Misty pick [This task is open for debate. Do we want a Misty Pick? I have the list of genres, I can make 2-3 recommendations for each genre (which would give 50-75 choices); from there, it can either be assigned, or you could choose off the list. If it's assigned, it would be kind of neat, since I'll have the list of who got what in genre roulette. I can give them something completely different).
20:Read any two books from our most neglected folders (GLBT, Multicultural, Non-fiction, Religion) and contribute to discussion.
25: Read three books in 3 non-traditional forms: drama, poetry, short story anthology, epistolary/diary, audiobook. In the Discussions thread for the Challenge, briefly tell us whether these forms worked for the story, and what you thought.
Buddy Bonus: Buddy looks through your GR shelves and picks 1 book in a genre or style that seems neglected.

BUILDING A BETTER READER:
5: Read any book and write a detailed review that examines what you read, what you thought and felt, and whether you would recommend it.
10: Read and discuss a book with a young adult in your life.
15: Ask a YA librarian to recommend their "little known gems" in a variety of genres, read 1, discuss it with the librarian, and let us know some highlights in the Challenge Discussions thread.
20: Read any book dealing with a controversial issue, or a topic that is well out of your comfort zone, and create and post discussion questions for it.
25: Read any book that you almost chose for one of the tasks in Sections 2 or 3 (ie a cultural or genre choice), and do 2 of the following:
-- written response to the book
-- drawing or other art form inspired by the book
-- character interview
-- poem
-- make a photo collage or slideshow that represents the book to you
-- make a book trailer
-- [insert your original ideas here]
Buddy Bonus: Read your buddy's book from 4.20 and answer the questions.

AGAIN, DON'T GO PICKING BOOKS ALREADY. THINGS WILL LIKELY CHANGE. LET ME KNOW OF ANY WEAK SPOTS, THINGS YOU WANT TO SEE, IF YOU LIKE IT, ETC.

message 39: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments Nifty tasks :)

message 40: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Very nice tasks. Seems tough.

message 41: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Well, it is a challenge...
But is it too tough, though?

message 42: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Misty wrote: "Well, it is a challenge...
But is it too tough, though?"

I think if you give us some resources for some of the categories that would be very helpful.

message 43: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Also- is the buddy bonus an extra task or does it take the place of another? Also how much is it worth?

message 44: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments There will be links to lists, as I said. And the Buddy Bonuses are just that, a bonus, in addition to the tasks. They are worth 5 pts each (it's mentioned in the beginning of the post, just before the task list).

message 45: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments I like it, it does seem a bit challenging, but I like to read things I wouldn't otherwise :)

message 46: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Misty wrote: "There will be links to lists, as I said. And the Buddy Bonuses are just that, a bonus, in addition to the tasks. They are worth 5 pts each (it's mentioned in the beginning of the post, just befor..."

Oh. Sorry- Fail on my part. I skimmed through the top and got all excited and went to the tasks :)

message 47: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Mandy wrote: "I like it, it does seem a bit challenging, but I like to read things I wouldn't otherwise :)"

It will be nice to be pushed to read different things.

message 48: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments ^_^

No prob, Kellee. Excitement is good!

message 49: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Alright, some notes, just to clear up any confusion:

There will be links and lists, you're not going to have to do massive amounts of research to find your books.

There will be examples provided, and I promise to make more sense in the final edit.

As for the final task (non-buddy) where you have a list of options to choose from: I will provide links to free photo-editing and collage making software. If you do one of the picture options, I will ask that you either upload it somewhere or send me a copy, and I will compile them all into 1 resource and provide the link, so that at the end, everyone can see everyone else's work and the great, creative things we did. I think it could turn out very interesting, and in all honesty, it doesn't have to take a lot of time.

Also, since some of the aspects of this challenge are more challenging, I am willing to provide an easy out: if you absolutely can't do one task (you don't have access to audiobooks, for example), you are allowed to pitch me an alternative. This isn't homework, I want it to be fun, so I'll work with you. Promise. :)

[ps: there may be prizes...I'm just sayin']

message 50: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I like the way this is shaping up! I especially like sections 3 and 4.

Official 25 and Broadening 10 seem a bit similar... any tweaking we can do to set them apart?

« previous 1