ColonyOfReaders discussion

So, what is everyone reading?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike (vyzov) Hey everyone, it's been awhile since there was any activity here so let's get a discussion started!

What's everyone been reading lately?

message 2: by Tim (last edited Feb 19, 2010 10:40AM) (new)

Tim (hunterx280) | 50 comments I'm currently reading a couple books. I'm reading Frank Herbert's Dune and The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. Normally I only read one at a time but The Blade Itself came into the library sooner than expected.

EDIT: I also forgot, I'm reading the Conan graphic novels along with listening to the same novels by Robert E Howard on audiobook. It's a pretty interesting way to read them.

message 3: by Bee (new)

Bee (astranoir) | 14 comments I just finished Rendezvous with Rama, am rereading American Gods, and am about a year late on reading The Omnivore's Dilemma.

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon McDonald (jmcdonald) | 3 comments Audiobooks for Conan ought to be really fun. I picked up War & Peace and am reading it on the road in India. Even the Russians are incredulous. "They made us read Tolstoy in school," they say with a shudder. It is a big weight to carry, but I'm halfway through and it's getting very exciting. I also found a used copy of Moby Dick and am re-reading that for fun.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric | 11 comments Reading the first three books in Butcher's Dresden Files. On the second one currently, Fool Moon. Been awhile since a book actually kept me awake.

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim (hunterx280) | 50 comments Eric(PathMaster) wrote: "Reading the first three books in Butcher's Dresden Files. On the second one currently, Fool Moon. Been awhile since a book actually kept me awake."

Ohhh good stuff. I've only read the first three Dresden Files books but they were all awesome. I plan on reading the rest eventually.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike (vyzov) I've been reading quite a few books lately. I just finished reading In the Name Of the Wind, fantastic book. I also just finished book 1 of Phikal: A Chemical Love story.

message 8: by Nat (last edited Feb 21, 2010 02:05PM) (new)

Nat | 11 comments I finished Hunger Games in about 4 hours. Not the best, but, man, was it interesting.

I also finished The Forever War. For ten years, I specifically avoided anything about the book until I could get a copy. Finally score an old paperback. I was surprised at it's contents and Haldeman's approach to future humanity.

(Follow the links if you want to read my reviews on them.)

Up next is the second Percy Jackson, L'Amour's The Last of the Breed, TekWar (nostalgic youth trip), Secret Life of Lobsters, and The Brothers Karamazov.

Currently, I'm reading Robbing the Bees, which is one of the most fascinating nature books I've ever read. The bee is an amazing insect.

message 9: by Nat (last edited Feb 21, 2010 03:21PM) (new)

Nat | 11 comments Mike wrote: "I've been reading quite a few books lately. I just finished reading In the Name Of the Wind, fantastic book. I also just finished book 1 of Phikal: A Chemical Love story. "

I always get to about page 10 into In the Name of the Wind and I choke because of its anticipated length. I need to buckle down and get lost in it.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (khanes) | 13 comments I'm on a Sherman Alexie kick. Am currently reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, but up next is The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven

message 11: by Tim (last edited Mar 01, 2010 01:53PM) (new)

Tim (hunterx280) | 50 comments Kevin wrote: "I'm on a Sherman Alexie kick. Am currently reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, but up next is The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven"

I love Sherman Alexie. Lone Ranger is an excellent read!

EDIT: Nevermind, it was Toughest Indian In The World, not Lone Ranger that I read. I keep meaning to read LR. Ah well, excellent author either way.

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard (richardpendon) | 1 comments Hi! I'm just new here and I'm trying out the groups part of the site.

I just finished Xenocide by Card. I'm now reading volume 1 of Sherlock Holmes collection. Belive it or not, it's my first time to read a something from Sir Doyle.

message 13: by J.J. (new)

J.J. (jjmahoney) | 5 comments Richard, I've been reading through Sherlock Holmes too, also my first time (Sherlock and Sir Doyle). They're fantastic, although The Hound of the Baskervilles is my favorite so far. I've read the first 3 novels and am about to start the 4th (The Valley of Fear). Next I'll tackle the short stories.

But I'm currently reading Dune. It's a little slow going (only 70 or so pages into it) but I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I find I read faster when I have the Kindle version but there's no way I'm spending $17 for Dune on Kindle when I can find the paperback in almost any thrift store for pennies.

message 14: by Bee (new)

Bee (astranoir) | 14 comments I just finished Kraken yesterday, and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't really have most of the complaints I'd heard other people voice, but I'm still digesting it a bit. My plan is to start on Goneaway World next. Maybe I'll actually get some reading done this year!

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (evilgoodwin) | 11 comments I've been flying through Dresden, and just finished book 6. So far, very enjoyable. I'm going to have to go over my lists and see what's next, though. Change up the pace a bit.

message 16: by Clark (new)

Clark | 4 comments I just read the first two Dresdan books. Love them, especially the second.

I'm currently reading Consider Phlebas. Any of you who are into sci-fi at ALL need to read this. It may still be .99 for the Kindle version too.

message 17: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (zudoccon) | 5 comments Reading Wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I enjoyed the first one, and this one is even better.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris (evilgoodwin) | 11 comments I really liked Wise Man's Fear. Just all around entertaining, and made me want to drop whatever I was doing to get back to it.

I can usually tell if I like a book if I want to read it before bed or not. With The Golden Compass, for instance, I would just go to sleep instead of reading :P

I'm back on Dresden for at least one book, then jumping back to Pullman to finish the rest of those off while its still fresh in my mind. After that, I might finally tackle some of those classics I've been saving up.

message 19: by Casey (new)

Casey (Widgetcraft) | 2 comments I just got my Kindle in today and started reading For the Win, by Cory Doctorow. It's essentially a novel about gold farmers, split between India, China and L.A. So far, it's holding my interest well, and I'm intrigued by where he will take the story.

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim (hunterx280) | 50 comments Zecon wrote: "Reading Wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I enjoyed the first one, and this one is even better."

I just devoured that book when it came out. Took me about a week but I finished it pretty quickly considering the size.

message 21: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (zudoccon) | 5 comments I finished it yesterday, really couldn't put it down.
This book really set itself apart from the Harry Potter series i was reminded of in the first book.
I'm going to go back to the belgariad series, see if i can stick with the rest of it.

message 22: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) | 57 comments Mod
Finished Wise Man's Fear last week, very good book. Currently Reading The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack. It's pretty good so far.

message 23: by J.J. (new)

J.J. (jjmahoney) | 5 comments Still going through Dune, but I finished The Graveyard Book and Coraline this past week. It's not too bad reading 2 books at once. It helps me to keep reading if I'm not in the mood for Dune (which has been a tough read). Typically if I start reading a book like that it slows my overall reading to the point of almost halting my reading altogether. I figured it was probably best to find a book I can breeze through (like The Graveyard Book), while still reading the tough one. That's helped a lot. I chip away a little at Dune (I'm over halfway done now, but I started a month ago) and finished two other books in the last week. It helps keep my momentum going.

message 24: by Tim (new)

Tim (hunterx280) | 50 comments J.J. wrote: "Still going through Dune, but I finished The Graveyard Book and Coraline this past week. It's not too bad reading 2 books at once. It helps me to keep reading if I'm not in the mood for Dune (which..."

Dune took me about 8 years to get around to finishing. I could see why it was such a big deal at the time but I wasn't that big of a fan. I feel like it was worth it to read it in the end though.

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris (evilgoodwin) | 11 comments I tried to restart Dune again last summer. Made it about 15 pages in before quitting and going to the new Discworld book (it was new to me, at least).

message 26: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (lorddon) | 2 comments Just finished up through Volume 5 of Atomic Robo. SRSLY guys, you need to read this.

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim (hunterx280) | 50 comments I happened to get a chance to see Neal Stephenson speak about his new book, Reamde and get it signed. His books never disappoint so I'm looking forward to getting more time with it.

message 28: by Nat (new)

Nat | 11 comments I love Atomic Robo.

Well, I've been reading the Leviathan trilogy (It's actually not bad.), and I've just started on the epic, The Brothers Karamazov.

message 29: by Brock (new)

Brock | 4 comments I just finished reading Ready Player One and it was phenomenal. I'm now enjoying the Ico novelization, which is actually pretty good so far. It's mostly backstory at this point and I'm curious to see how the narrative plays out when it gets to the part that made up the majority of the game.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (khanes) | 13 comments i just finished Ready Player one and was more or less indifferent to it.

currently reading the Shadowline, and up next is Readme.

message 31: by Mike (new)

Mike (vyzov) I've been reading so much lately, several books a week. I'm just now starting on Virtual Light by William Gibson

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris (evilgoodwin) | 11 comments Just Finished Deadhouse Gates (Malazan #2). What a rush.

With the coming October, I feel it is only fitting to dig into some horror books.