The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > Hilde's 2010 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments Here's my goal for 2010, counting from January 1st (not including the ones I started before Jan 1st):

Read 35 books, at least 15 must be from my BookCrossing TBR pile.

message 2: by Hilde (last edited Feb 17, 2010 12:46PM) (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 1. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle - 3/5

2. Past Secrets by Cathy Kelly - 4/5

message 3: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 3. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling - 4/5

Great book, but I don't think it's the best in the series so far. I love Professor McGonagall. :)

message 4: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 4. The 5 Greatest Warriors by Matthew Reilly - 3/5

message 5: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 5. Blue Shoes and Happiness by Alexander McCall Smith - 4/5

message 6: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 6. Heartbeat: Constable Across the Moors and Other Tales of a Yorkshire Village Bobby by Nicholas Rhea - 4/5

Actually three books in one: Constable on the Hill, Constable Around the Village and Constable Across the Moors, but I'm counting it as one.

message 7: by Hilde (last edited Apr 01, 2010 03:35PM) (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 7. (BC1) Irish Girls About Town by Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes, Cathy Kelly et al - 3/5

message 8: by Hilde (last edited Apr 01, 2010 03:35PM) (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 8. (BC2) The Spider Sapphire Mystery by Carolyn Keene - 3/5

message 9: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 9. Det niende prinsipp by Gert Nygårdshaug - 3/5

message 10: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 10. De dødes båt by Knut Nærum - 3/5

message 11: by Hilde (last edited Apr 20, 2010 04:31PM) (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 11. (BC3) Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler - 4/5

I love Dirk Pitt. :)

message 12: by Hilde (last edited May 02, 2010 04:08PM) (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 12. Siste akt by Nils Nordberg & Klaus Hagerup - 3/5

message 13: by Hilde (last edited May 12, 2010 12:58PM) (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 13. (BC4) Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett - 4/5

The best out of the three Discworld novels I've read. Granny Weatherwax was wonderful.

message 14: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 14. (BC5) Talk to the Hand by Lynne Truss - 2/5

I loved "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" and naturally had high hopes of this book, not only because the last book was both funny and educational, but also because I think people are becoming more rude than I would like. Sadly, this book was neither funny nor particularly interesting. Truss does make some valid points, but more often than not I find myself strongly disagreeing with her (especially concerning the Internet and DIY services). I don't know if this has something to do with me being 30 years younger than her or the fact that I'm not British, but a lot of the behaviour she sees as rude, I don't think twice about.
I also felt there were a lot of unnecessary references to "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

message 15: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 15. (BC6) Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen - 4/5

message 16: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 16. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris - 4/5

I made the mistake of watching half of the first season of True Blood before reading this book, and because the show follows the book quite closely, the first half of the book wasn't as exciting as it could have been. I'm really glad I didn't watch the whole season though, as that would have spoiled some really good moments (Bubba being one of them).

I like Sookie, particularly the fact that she can take care of herself and doesn't need anyone to rescue her, human, vampire or any other being. I actually like her a lot better in the book than in the TV show.

I like the mystery and the fact that I didn't guess who the murderer was until it was revealed (another thing the TV show would have ruined completely). And although vampires may have some attractive traits, I still prefer humans.

Or, you know, that other being.

message 17: by Hilde (last edited Jun 29, 2010 04:19AM) (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 17. (BC7) Under Gemini by Rosamunde Pilcher - 4/5

Looks like I'm pretty much on track - I'm just about halfway through the challenge and it's the end of June.

message 18: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 18. Inkspell by Cornelia Funke - 4/5

message 19: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 19. Ice Station by Matthew Reilly - 4/5

message 20: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 20. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan - 3/5

An easy read that borrows quite a few ideas from Harry Potter.

message 21: by Hilde (last edited Aug 25, 2010 03:57PM) (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 21. (BC8) 16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber - 3/5

message 22: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 22. Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich - 3/5

message 23: by Hilde (last edited Sep 18, 2010 05:01AM) (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 23. (BC9) The Secret River by Kate Grenville The Secret River by Kate Grenville - 3/5

message 24: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 24. The Heretic's Treasure by Scott Mariani The Heretic's Treasure by Scott Mariani - 3/5

message 25: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 25. (BC10) The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle - 5/5

This is a fantastic book. It's funny, sad, bittersweet, and the writing is quite unique. By far the best read of the year.

message 26: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 26. (BC11) The Spellman Files (Spellman Series, # 1) by Lisa Lutz The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz - 4/5
Loved this one, lots of fun!

27. The Hot Rock by Donald E. Westlake The Hot Rock by Donald E. Westlake - 4/5
28. (BC12) The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew, #43) by Carolyn Keene The Mystery of the 99 Steps by Carolyn Keene - 4/5
29. Bad Debts by Peter Temple Bad Debts by Peter Temple - 4/5
30. The Sevenfold Spell by Tia Nevitt The Sevenfold Spell by Tia Nevitt - 3/5
31. Twas The Night by Sandra Hill 'Twas the Night by Sandra Hill, Kate Holmes & Trish Jensen - 3/5
32. The Burglar and the Blizzard A Christmas Story by Alice Duer Miller The Burglar and the Blizzard by Alice Duer Miller - 2/5

message 27: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 33. Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher Incarceron by Catherine Fisher - 4/5

I really liked this one; the whole concept is very interesting. Looking forward to reading the sequel.

message 28: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 29 comments 34. Christmas in Harmony A Harmony Story by Philip Gulley Christmas in Harmony by Philip Gulley - 5/5

This was the second time I've read this short Christmas story, and I loved it just as much this time. This series has the perfect blend of humour, seriousness and heart. Perfect Christmas read.