Start by marking “The Spider Sapphire Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #45)” as Want to Read:
The Spider Sapphire Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #45)

The Spider Sapphire Mystery

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #45)

Excitement is high when Nancy delves into the theft of a fabulous sapphire formed by nature millions of years ago. Her father’s client is Mr. Ramsey, a designer of beautiful and unusual synthetic gems. He is accused of stealing the magnificent spider sapphire and exhibiting it as his own creation. In River Heights and while on a safari with a group of college students, Nan ...more
Published 1968 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Spider Sapphire Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spider Sapphire Mystery

Madeline
Oh yes, I'm still reading Nancy Drew novels. As an adult with far too much literary criticism classes, reading them is a very different experience for me than it was as a kid. Then, reading these books was like watching action blockbusters - sure, in the back of my mind I knew they were silly and outlandish and there were better things I could be doing, but dammit I was having fun. Nowadays, the experience is a little different. Reading Nancy Drew now is like watching a Mystery Science Theater s ...more
Melanie
This book is actually an insanely boring hunt for a sapphire with a fossilized spider inside it.

OMG GUNFIRE! Someone shoots out Nancy's tires. Actually, no, they shoot at her tires while she's parked, but don't manage to actually puncture them. So. Hm.

Safari to East Africa! Wondering when she's going to go to Antarctica to look for Bernadette. If a person is black, they're referred to as "a black," like, "the cab driver was a black wearing a gold chain." There's also some bitchy girl who chills
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew must solve this case of fraud, counterfeiting, and blackmail before it's too late!
Kerry
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was written in a different era.

I had to repeat this to myself more times than I wanted to count as I read this. The writing was terribly passive, characters were flat, and, oh, it was clearly sexist and racist. I was so excited to pull this off the shelf in a Little Free Library, but it was, alas, a mistake. I should have le
Leah
Sep 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Oh, Nancy Drew...

When I was a kid, I'd read a Nancy book a day. I couldn't put them down. The adventures were top notch and she was such a strong female character who had strong female, kick-ass friends. So I wanted to revisit. This is what I hope will be the first of many re-read Nancy books.

As usual, within the first 10 pages, Nancy is in a scrape and some criminals are stealing her purse and trapping her car in a parking lot for no reason. In this mystery, a rare gem is stolen and Nancy is pu
Michael
I remember having read this book, but otherwise very little about it. I got it from the mobile library that used to park on Kirkham Road, Southport, outside the Temperance Hall. I would have been about 8 years old and attracted to it by the spider in the title and on the cover - I liked spiders, and still do.

My rating of 3 stars is rather arbitrary, but as it's stuck in my mind all these years I will give it the benefit of the doubt.
Darinda
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved these books when I was a kid. Have enjoyed rereading them as an adult.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I absolutely adored these growing up, much more so than the Hardy Boys, and still carry a fondness for them into adulthood
Mskychick
Placeholder for reread of Ilona Andrews' Magic Rises
Brianna D
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The Spider Sapphire Mystery
By: Carolyn Keene

In the book, The Spider Sapphire Mystery by Carolyn Keene, Nancy faces a mystery including a spider sapphire being stolen. Part of the mystery takes place in her hometown, River Heights, and in Africa on a trip. She faces many dangerous encounters while working the mystery. The lexile for this book is 760L.

I think the theme of this book would be to never intentionally do bad things. Over the course of the book the people behind the mystery that stole
Suziey
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy and her friends are going on an African safari that is being hosted by Emerson College. While in Africa, Nancy is able to investigative work for one of her father’s cases. A rare spider sapphire has gone missing in Africa and Mr. Drew’s client is being accused of stealing it. It is up to Nancy and her friends to figure out where the sapphire could be. Also, Nancy is tasked with finding a singer’s missing brother in Africa. The last time he was seen, he was giving a tour before being attack ...more
Ella
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-good-nor-bad
This was the first "long" book I ever read. So it's kinda special. I loved this book as a kid so I thought I could reread it. Of course it wasn't that amazing like 6 years later. Things happened very fast which is good bcs I'm not a big fan of unnecessary things.

The story was a bit messy. I got the names confused at times. But the most annoying thing was when someone said "Africa is an amazing country!". I don't know if the mistake was made while translating or writing it. I found it very annoy
IrishFan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this one was a good one. It didn't seem too easy for her, where all the pieces fell together easily. Although, she always seems to have an unlimited amount of $ for a girl her age, and so do her friends. When all of their clothes were ruined? No big deal, lets just run out and buy brand new wardrobes!
Alicia 🌻
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is definitely one of the top Nancy Drew books I have read. It was action packed since the first chapter! I am used to a slow first half with a more intense second half. I will definitely be re-reading this in the future when I want to read a good Nancy Drew story.
Carole
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
Nancy Drew is at it again, this time in far off Africa, sleuthing with her friends to find a stolen rare spider sapphire.
Christine Arvinth
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nancydrew
Nancy helps solve the mystery of the missing spider sapphire jewel with the help of her friends Bess,George,Ned, Burt ,and Dave in Africa.
Tarz
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Nancy drew, I found this book in a second hand book store and I fell in love with the mystery
Elizabeth
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this because it was interesting to see her go out on a safari. I liked the new character Gwen once she changed her attitude!🧐
Catherine Boomer
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am happily back enjoying the Nancy Drew mystery series again. I appreciate the clean, nonviolent, non sexual or evil emphasis but good simple adventure and mystery-solving.
Emma
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uni, crime, childrens
This was my favorite Nancy Drew book when I was younger.
Rereading it now isn't quite the same, you notice the flaws when your older.
But it is still a enjoyable read.
Joilyn Magayon
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
It's kind of a bit dragging for me. But thanks to the many out of town adventures that saved it. After all, it was good.
Jocelin
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just re-read this book because I found an article about the original Carolyn Keene (Mildred Wirt Benson), that said this book was her favorite. It was fun, and interesting to read as an adult.
CAREY TOWNE CHRISTENSON
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!!! I have to admit even though that the series is way under my reading level I can always turn to nancy drew for an adventurous quick read!!!
Mariya Shareef
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this book was pretty good. I liked it because things were stolen and trips to different places were made. A spider mde out of sapphires was stolen and Nancy, Bess, and George had to go all the way to Africa because of it. There was also some blackmails which made the story even jucier. Every Nancy Drew book I have read, I have always loved. There's not a single thing I do not like. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery.
Phe
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Spider Sapphire Mystery is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 45th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew's latest mystery starts in her home town where her lawyer father's client, Floyd Ramsey—who fashions beautiful and unusual synthetic gems, is accused of stealing the magnificent spider sapphire—a synthetic sapphire with a spider embedded in it—and exhibiting it as his own creation.

When Mr. Ramsey's enemies blackmail him, and by their own vicious acts try to d
Kendall
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book focuses on Nancy going on a Safari with the Emerson boys, and Bess and George. Before leaving Nancy is boxed in by three Indians. She also has heard about a sapphire with a spider in it that was made synthetically by a man in River Heights. It was modeled after a real one that lives in Mombasa. She goes to see the fake sapphire and sees a sign that says it is the real one and it is stolen. the curator says that three indians were at the museum. before leaving nancy meets a singer whole ...more
Emily
Nov 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 7th-grade
Nancy Drew is trying to unlock the case about the missing spider sapphire and one made in a lab. Although one is in River Heights it is not the same one the real one has spinettes but it River Heights it doesn't.

Nancy gets hooked in to this mystery because her friend Ned went missing right before Nancy, Bess, George, Burt, Dave, and Ned were going to go on a trip with the boy's collage.

The gang got beat up, kidnappped twice, and Nancy got a plastic bag put over her head. The people with the spi
Gina
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Carolyn Keene did a great job at writing this book. It wasn’t as detailed as some of the books that I’ve read but you knew how she felt. I liked how there were those dramatic parts that their enemies did and just caught you by surprise. I’ll definitely read another one of Carolyns book when I get the chance to. It was interesting how there were some facts in there too like about the spider.

It was an interesting book to read will definitely read another one of Carolyn’s book. I loved how you wer
LobsterQuadrille
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series
As the original Nancy Drew books go, The Spider Sapphire Mystery is pretty average. Once you've aged out of the intended audience, there's definitely some suspension of disbelief required, but there can still be a certain nostalgic charm to them. The Spider Sapphire unfortunately shows its age quite glaringly at times(it is kind of weird to see characters so casually discussing the uses of elephant and rhino ivory), and the resolution to the mystery subplot of Tizam's disappearance is very rush ...more
M. Reali-Elliott
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The very first Nancy Drew book I read, and still my favorite!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Secret of Wildcat Swamp (The Hardy Boys, #31)
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder (Trixie Belden, #30)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)