This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate this bump on my tongue

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tesse (last edited May 10, 2008 03:47PM) (new)

Tesse (hooksinmyhead) I have an inflamed papillae and like many people I cannot leave anything irritated or painful alone that has to do with my tongue or teeth.

I want it to go away but the only way it's going to is by leaving it alone and I seem to be incapable of doing that.

It feels like it's the size of an egg and it's getting even more painful from scraping it against my teeth.

It's maddening.

message 2: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill Well...seeing as you're from Pullman...the problem is obvious. You need to lay off the Cougar Cheese...tasty as it is. I know it's a burden but you have no other choice. In the mean time, if you have extra Cougar Cheese lying around, I'll gladly help in relieving you of the offending goodness.

message 3: by Tesse (new)

Tesse (hooksinmyhead) Aaahhhh...ouch.

I live in Pullman (long story) but I am from Southern California. Sorry to any Pullmanites out there but I feel I have to make that distinction since most Washingtonians HATE Californians. I AM NOT HERE FOR YOUR LAND, I SWEAR!!!

Cougar Gold is a quite a tasty cheese though, but holy crap is it expensive!

However, spendiness aside, if I had any I would gladly share it since it comes in five pound wheels.

Five pounds of cheese means severe stomach trauma. Unless you're Steve. That man is a machine when it comes to cheese.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori An inflamed papillae? Is that what it's called?

I thought only Seattlites hated Californians, didn't know it was a state-wide epidemic.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Damn, I hate blowing a taste bud. Owie. Terrible!

message 6: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 0 comments Whenever I get those I put a dab of baking soda on it. It will hurt, or rather, not feel good, then your tongue will go immensely numb. Remember to be near a sink at this point - you will drool. But after all that, the bump should be gone - or at least much diminished.

message 7: by Tesse (new)

Tesse (hooksinmyhead) I will try those remedies as soon as I finish this post. Thanks, all!

The Washington hatred for Californians took me a little by surprise. I thought it was kind of a joke until I went to a party about a month after I moved here.
Everyone there was from Washington and they were telling stories about how when they (or a friend or a relative) put a house up for sale they would also post a sign that said "NO CALIFORNIANS NEED APPLY".
I STILL thought it was a joke and started chuckling. The person sitting next to me heard me laugh and then started in on how much she hated pretentious, greedy, snotty, ignorant, rich Californians who had trashed their state and were all moving out to Washington and Oregon.
The people around her concurred and started in with their issues with California(ns). At that point I let people know that I was not only from California but from Los Angeles and jaws literally dropped open.
No one apologized but I must have heard, "We never would have guessed you're from CA, you're so laid back, you're so nice, you just don't seem like you're from California."

Translation: I don't have a tan. I don't talk like Jeff Spicoli. I dress uniformally in black combat boots, black jeans and a black t-shirt (with or without band logo).

message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 0 comments Both of my parents are from Oregon. I grew up listening to them (and other family members) not only telling me why and how to loathe CA, but I remember being instructed how to notice that California continually changed it's licence plates to resemble those of Oregon. Not that this is true, or that I believe it, but I thought you might like to know the hatred is instilled for generations and passed onto offspring along with instructions to look both ways before crossing the street.

message 9: by Tesse (new)

Tesse (hooksinmyhead) Sigh. I figured.

Not that California isn't chock-a-block with assholes and idiots.

But so is everywhere else.

message 10: by Lori (last edited May 11, 2008 12:55AM) (new)

Lori I thought people hated Californians here in Seaattle because they all moved in droves when Seattle was named #1 livable city and spiked up the real estate,. When I moved here in 91 there was such a hatred for everyone moving here, but I was acceptable from Manhattan altho I was teased for wearing so much black. Funny thing, it's not common to find natives, I'd say half if not more of this city are from somewhere else! Now I learn that Californians are universely despised, for several generations thruout the Pac NW.

Back to the bumps. I hate those ones that are on the side or front of your mouth. I get perverse pleasure and pain from biting them off.

message 11: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 0 comments Biting them off??? And I thought I was a masochst for baking-soda-ing mine off! Yeowza.

message 12: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill Wow, Ali. Superficial much?

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Heck, no, NB. She's practical Pac-Northwestern. Hate them, love their dollars. And unless you've got a Stumptown latte in one hand and you're busy running your web business with the other, while wearing your hiking shoes to work riding your bike with the trendy messenger bag, you're just not a Pac-NW-er.

I'm a transplant myself. I genuinely can't find a true born-and-bred Portlander between 25 and 40. They've all moved to California or Seattle to do the 'big city' thing for a few years, and they'll all move back when their kids are in middle school. Predictable as the tides.

Who was the Oregon governor in the 1970s who coined the motto "A nice place to visit...but please don't move here"?

message 14: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 0 comments Back to tongue-talk...when I'm stressed (finals week) I grind my teeth. Sometimes my tongue gets in the way. Today I feel like someone gave my tongue a big 'ol rub down with heavy duty sandpaper last night. Baking soda can't help me. I want a popsicle.

message 15: by Chloe (last edited May 12, 2008 09:14AM) (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) The California hate extends into Idaho as well. In the early 90s, when I was growing up, Sunset magazine ran an article naming Coeur d'Alene one of the best towns to raise a child. The town nearly tripled in size and lakefront property grew exceedingly scarce.

We took all of this with a grain of salt until the transplants tried to fence off sections of beach, claiming that their property ran 150 ft. into the lake itself. This, of course, ran contrary to public opinion and established tradition which held that the beach was everyones as long as it was used responsibly. Tensions ran really high when one homeowner ran a stretch of fence into the lake itself.

It wasn't so much the transplants that we were against as it was the importing of their crass consumerist mindset that held that the biggest house/car/boat was best and if you weren't gaudy you weren't anything. The shock of having your beautiful lake becoming the playground for hellishly loud powerboats and jet skis which would swamp your canoe at any given opportunity and make fishing impossible led to a lot of resentment from locals. I'm still pissed about it and I haven't even visited CDA in 8+ years.

Ali's characterization was pretty on point. I can't wait to get back to Cascadia Free State.

message 16: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) admit it... everyone hates Californians... that is, until they want to come visit and sleep on your sofa and clog your streets with their winery tours.

Welcome to California, now go home.

message 17: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Illinoisians? Illinoisie? Illini? What do you call people from Illinois?

message 18: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Rampant Xenophobia. That's what I would name a boy child should I conceive again. Rampant Xenophobia Drengsen. I think it has a ring to it.

message 19: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) and a drakkar... don't forget his drakkar!!!

message 20: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) exactement! quel frommage!

message 21: by Carlie (new)

Carlie Right on! Thank God last time I had one was in college a decade ago. I swear I walked around and talked with my tongue out of my mouth cause it was way up front and air was the only thing that didn't make it hurt.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.