Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Totally Off Topic > So confused with "Sookie Stackhouse" Help!!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shmaybra (new)

Shmaybra | 18 comments Is The Southern Vampire, Sookie Stackhouse and True Blood Series all the same? And what do you guys think of it? I've read Twilight, HON, VA, Thirst, Blue Bloods but now I'm not sure whether I should start this SERIES, Morganville Vampires or Mortal instruments next?

message 2: by Dawn (last edited Feb 13, 2010 12:18AM) (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 320 comments Sookie Stackhouse is the protagonist in The Southern Vampire Mysteries and True Blood is a tv show that is based on the series. I say based because the show offers multiple points of view that are not in the book.

I love Sookie she is fantastic. I have also read Glass houses which I think is book one in Morganville Vampires series which I also enjoyed.

IMO these are very different books Morganville is a YA book and I place in the same category as Twilight and Blue Bloods. I think that Sookie Stackhouse is much more adult, I think the book is much darker in nature and while the sex is not gratuitous it is present.

I hope that helps

message 3: by ✿Dawn✿ (new)

✿Dawn✿ (pigelet25) | 11 comments Hey there,

I can totally understand your confusion.=o) It was explained to me like this ... Charlaine Harris' books are titled " Southern Vampire Novels" But they also go by the Sookie Stackhouse Series. True Blood is an HBO TV Series Based on the books by Charlaine Harris. I agree with Dawn above me,the show has just enough of the books for those of us who have read them, but has alot of different directions from the books. I happen to enjoy both.

My suggestion is that if you are going to read the Sookie Series, do that first. Then catch up on True Blood. If you try to do both at the same time you will end up with a migraine lol :) But the Sookie Series was very fast reads for me. I read each book in a day.

Again, agreeing with Dawn, the Twilight, Morganville Vamps, and Blue Bloods are definately YA. Sookie is more adult. ( the True Blood TV series is heavy in sexual content so be forwarned).

Hope that helps you a little :)

Happy Reading!

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Antal (brittanylovesvampires) | 13 comments i read the sookie books after twilight which my first vamp series other than twilight, i loved it and once i started i couldnt stop it is such a good series with just enough of everything to keep you into it...id definitely suggest reading them!

message 5: by Seena Seena (new)

Seena Seena  (seenastarkbookwhoreasaurus) | 109 comments Sookie series is one of my top 3 fav!!!

And like the others mentioned read the books first. Then do the TV series. Each season is for each book. The tv series has the main "plot" line but they do change it up ALOT which isnt bad at all because you feel like your getting a new dose of it =)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments Personally, I would rather read my tp than HON series. I loved the Sookie series. It is somewhat like the book. I passed a man in Wal-Mart the other day with his 2 year old son. He said he liked the show, but did not know they were books. He was loading up on them. They are not YA books. There is a lot of action and it is hard to put the books down. If you have not seen the show, you can go to www.free-tvshows.com you can watch seasons one and two. It is free. They also update the website when the season is airing. The show airs on Sunday and the new show is on Monday on the website. Give Sookie a chance. It is well worth it.

message 7: by Shmaybra (new)

Shmaybra | 18 comments AWESOME!! I'm defiantly gonna read the books now, then watch the show! THANKS!

message 8: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Antal (brittanylovesvampires) | 13 comments that website isnt malicious or anything? lol i screwed up my laptop going onto another site to watch episodes of tv shows :(

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments I have watched several shows on there. Nothing has happened to my computer or anything. Click on the show, it does have a lot of popups. Ignore them. The page will come to an add, wait for it to download, then in the top right corner will say, Skip this add. Then it will bring up your show. You can click play and then pause to let it download all the way and they watch it. It does not have commericals. Let me know how it works for you.

message 10: by Shannon (last edited Feb 15, 2010 07:06AM) (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments Just to add to the confusion, there's another paranormal romance series called Trueblood that's by Barabara Elsborg. They are good reads. Not as awesome as Sookie, but still entertaining. They aren't related series. Truebloods in the Elsborg books refer to the type of vampires they are; they are able to reproduce.

If you want to check them out, here's the series order:
The Consolation Prize
Falling for You
Lightning in a Bottle
The Misfits

The series got better as I read the books. The first two were light, entertaining reads. The last two had more engrossing plotlines. The Misfits was my fav of the bunch. You don't have to read the first three books to read The Misfits but it would give you more background into the world building and what a Trueblood is.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 343 comments I love this series. It is the first series that really got me into the "paranormal romance" genre.

message 12: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) Personally I think you should read sookie stackhouse. I love charlaine harris. AMAZING books.

message 13: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments I agree, books first!

message 14: by Shmaybra (new)

Shmaybra | 18 comments Well I took your advice and went out a bought the first 3 books of THE SOOKIE STACKHOUSE series. I just finished the first one (in a few hours!!!!) I liked it and if I heard correctly it just keeps getting better?!? How many books are there in this series anyway?

message 15: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) | 81 comments Shmaybra wrote: "Well I took your advice and went out a bought the first 3 books of THE SOOKIE STACKHOUSE series. I just finished the first one (in a few hours!!!!) I liked it and if I heard correctly it just keeps..."

So far there are 9 novels and then there are a few short stories which were put into a volume called A Touch of Dead .. the next novel #10 will be out in May called Dead in the Family

message 16: by Arcadia (new)

Arcadia Barrile (braintasiabooks) | 295 comments Just to clear it up, Sookie Stackhouse is NOT Paranormal Romance, it's Urban Fantasy.

And in regards to the YA books, I think that Blue Bloods should be in a separate category from Morganville and Twilight, since it's so much darker, especially in the later books.

message 17: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments I agree Sookie is urban fantasy, but it does have romance in the storyline as well as a nice mix of mystery, suspense, action and adventure. It should appeal to fans of both urban fantasy and paranormal romance.