Jane Austen discussion

Side Read Jane Bites Back > Thoughts about books with Jane Austen as the Main Character

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you think about books where Jane Austen is the "heroine," doing things Jane never got the chance to do?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read several types of books now (romance, mystery, vampire) with Jane Austen as the main character. I thought, at first, that this would bother me, but I haven't found it a problem. I know that Jane never tromped around Bath looking for smugglers and murderers, but it was fun to think she could have.

message 3: by Shaun (new)

Shaun | 123 comments I think that it's an intresting idea. I mean, I imagine that she would be a type of woman to do things that she wished to do and not be conventional in the least! It's really cool to imagine WWJD (what would Jane do?). I just saw the Jane Austen bookclub movie and at the pivotal point, the walking sign said that and I wish that it would pop up in real life!

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments I love reading books where Jane Austen is the heroine. Not that I know Jane Austen really well, but I'd like to think some books like "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen" and "Just Jane" capture what woudl seem like Jane Austen's voice or personality. I can't say that I felt the same about this book.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley I loved all the mysteries with Dear Jane as the protagonist. I think they did a good job of keeping Jane connected to her family and the events in her way too short life. I hope the author has another book in her to end the series.
On the other hand, I'm having a very tough time slogging through Jane Bites Back, and I love vampire stories. Jane and Vampires, what could be better. Well, the writing is slow and so is the plot.
Hope I can finish it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 17, 2010 12:37PM) (new)

Patricia wrote: "I loved all the mysteries with Dear Jane as the protagonist. I think they did a good job of keeping Jane connected to her family and the events in her way too short life. I hope the author has anot..."

We discussed "Jane Bites Back" last month, so you can see what other members had to say about it on those threads. Are you referring to Stephanie Barron's books or some other Jane-as-detective series? I really enjoyed Jane and the Man of the Cloth: Being the Second Jane Austen Mystery