Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Saralou's 50 (or more) in 2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 4. A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club) by Kaye Gibbons A Virtuous Woman
I loved this book! It has been a while since I have felt the need to underline and write in the margins of a book, solely for myself.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments Sex, Time, and Power How Women's Sexuality Shaped Human Evolution by Leonard Shlain Sex, Time, and Power: How Women's Sexuality Shaped Human EvolutionI found this book to be interesting, informative, and humorous; but I could only take Shlain's writing style in small doses. I was also slightly bothered by his "now let us imagine" tangents.

message 6: by Sara (last edited Feb 26, 2010 10:07PM) (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane Shutter Island#6 quick, fun but predictable read.

message 8: by Sara (last edited Mar 22, 2010 11:00PM) (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 10. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen Northanger Abbey Jane Austen Tedious, not my favorite Austen

message 9: by Sara (last edited Apr 02, 2010 10:43PM) (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 11. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief Markus Zusak 5 stars. Beautiful words

message 10: by Sara (last edited Apr 05, 2010 01:52AM) (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 12. Like Normal People by Robert Myers
Currently out of print. Published in 1978, the information is out of date, but still useful and largely applicable. Emotionally taxing in relation to my personal experience, but worth the read.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Sara, what is Like Normal People about? There are no reviews on the review page.

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments Carol wrote: "Sara, what is Like Normal People about? There are no reviews on the review page."

"Like Normal People" is the true story of Roger and Virginia Myers, a mentally challenged couple that marry. The book also tells the story of their parent's continual fight to provide their children with the best life possible.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Sara, I've added it to my TBR list...apparently I may have to do some searching to find it.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 13. The Blue Castle  by L.M. Montgomery The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery A silly over the top book I suffered through for my bookclub

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 14. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Elegance of the Hedgehogby Muriel Barbery. I loved this book!

message 16: by Sara (last edited May 10, 2010 11:03AM) (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 15. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society By Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows. This book was informative, memorable and lovely.It was a very fast read and I really enjoyed the story line.

message 17: by Sara (last edited May 11, 2010 01:05AM) (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 16. The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson The Sky Is Everywhere Jandy Nelson A really good YA novel about a 17 year old girl dealing with her sister's unexpected death. I heard the author read the first two chapters on "the Writer's Block" podcast, and was immediately hooked.

message 18: by Sara (new)

message 19: by Sara (new)

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 19. The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #1) by Nancy Springer The Case of the Missing Marquessby Nancy Springer

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Now I know what all the fuss is about...compelling, I read it in one sitting

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 21. Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 22. Looking for Alaska by John Green Looking for Alaska by John Green the first half was disappointing, but I quite liked the second half of the story.

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 23. My Left Foot by Christy Brown My Left Foot by Christy Brown Wow, I loved this book, and I'm not really sure why I waited so long to read it.

message 25: by Sara (last edited Jul 11, 2010 09:49PM) (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 24. Going Bovine by Libba Bray Going Bovine by Libba Bray the plot was definitely creative, but the overall story was just ok

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 25. One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich One for the Money by Janet Evanovitch

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 27. Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) by Janet Evanovich Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovitch

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 29. Packing for Mars The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach Interesting,and funny as usual. I love everything she writes

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 31. The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter very entertaining, with great writing

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 32. The Believers by Zoë Heller The Believers by Zoë Heller I really enjoyed this novel about a family of political activists, and how they handle tragedy and scandal. All of the characters (with the exception of the son), are fully formed and well drawn out.

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 33. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. I loved the imagery used in all the stories, and the details that connect all the stories together. Beautifully written.

message 35: by Sara (last edited Oct 10, 2010 01:21AM) (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 34. Behind My Eyes Poems (with audio CD) by Li-Young Lee Behind My Eyes: PoemsLi-Young Lee One of my favorite poets. This collection did not disappoint

message 37: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 36. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams Very fun. I don't know why I waited so long to read this book.

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 37. The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett I really love every one of her books that I have read so far. She is one of my favorite authors.

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 38. The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett The Patron Saint of Liars By Ann Patchett I loved it-no big surprise there. She is such a talented storyteller. Now I just have Taft left to read.

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather I absolutely LOVE Ann Patchett! Have you read Run? What did you think of it?

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments Heather wrote: "I absolutely LOVE Ann Patchett! Have you read Run? What did you think of it?"
Heather,
Yes, I have read Run. It was wonderful. I think it is my favorite from Patchett, followed closely by Bel Canto. If you love her fiction, you should check out her non fiction book, Truth and Beauty. This book chronicles Patchett's friendship with author, Lucy Grealy

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather I loved Bel Canto, so will definitely read Run soon. I'd never head about her non-fiction book, but will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the recommendation!

message 43: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 39. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 44: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 40. Room by Emma Donoghue Room This book definitely lived up to all the hype. It was pretty amazing. I was glad that Jack was the narrator, instead of Ma. Through his eyes there was always hope, even at the lowest points of the story. Beautifully written.

message 45: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 41. Life of Pi by Yann Martel Life of Pi by Yann Martel

message 46: by Sara (last edited Nov 25, 2010 09:50AM) (new)

message 47: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 43. The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 44. The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

message 49: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 45. The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman The kind of book that makes you think, even if you disagree with some of the content. I liked it a lot.

message 50: by Sara (last edited Dec 28, 2010 01:04PM) (new)

Sara (saralou) | 174 comments 46. The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Wonderful

« previous 1