What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Starting a new life...main character has a spat with her husband, leaves.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Rindy | 8 comments In this book the main character has an spat with her husband in the car, asks him to stop, gets out, walks down the road to the nearest town and starts a new life. I seem to remember that she had to wear the same dress for a week until she got paid and could afford to buy more clothes.
(It's driving me nuts that I can't remember the name of this book!)

message 2: by Rindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Rindy | 8 comments No, very similar writing style, though. She became a secretary or something like that...

message 3: by Naomi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Naomi (gnomesb) sounds like the movie 'cafe baghdad'. I didn't think that movie was an adaption of a book though... enlighten me.

message 4: by Rindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Rindy | 8 comments I just took a look at the description of the movie... Definitely a different story. I am pretty sure about her working as a secretary.

message 5: by Ellis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Ellis | 2 comments Is it Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler?

message 6: by Rindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Rindy | 8 comments No, it's not. Very similar to Tyler's style of writing. In fact when I remembered it, I thought it was a Tyler book. I looked through the descriptions of all her books and it didn't match. I do remember clearly the spat in the car, her getting out and walking and the one dress/oufit. They were returning home from some event (maybe a funeral). I think that she did end up back with her family in the end...

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Yes, it totally sounds like AT's Breathing Lessons to me.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 28562 comments Mod
About when was it published? Was it set in the U.S.? Did she start her new life in a small town, large city, the suburbs?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Rindy, are you still looking for this? Was it "Breathing Lessons"?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Rindy, are you still looking for this? Was it "Breathing Lessons"?"

No response. Moving to Abandoned.