Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

is it possible to combine books without changing different author info/same author?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments And what would the suggestion be re combining books in circumstances such as this: I have a children’s book published in 1963 where the author uses only first & last names. Just noticed an edition of the exact same book that came out 12 years later when the author also used her middle name. I’m unable to combine editions because of this difference. I don’t want to delete the middle name in the later edition (it’s right on the cover) nor do I want to add a middle name that wasn’t used at the time my edition was published (it’s not on that cover). Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there any way to combine these editions without changing author information? (Even the copyright in my edition does NOT use her middle name!)

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

rivka | 36301 comments Mod
I guess you could wait for the AKA feature that is supposed to become available in the not-too-distant future.

It's interesting, though. Personally, I would have no problem adding the middle name. The later book has it, and I would take that as an indication of the author's most recent preference.

message 3: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
I agree with Rivka (hey is this a trend?) - I would just add the middle name to both records, and wait for our author pseudonym feature (still coming soon).

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Rivka & Otis, Thanks. Guess I'm too obsessive compulsive to add the middle name, but I’ll take advantage of that pseudonym feature when it arrives - no rush.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

rivka | 36301 comments Mod
"I agree with Rivka (hey is this a trend?)"

Naturally! :D