Best Books discussion

the definition

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I gladly start the discussion here and ask for your views: what is the definition of a Good Book to you? If its the book that we keep or what motivates us or I do not know. I think its mixed personal and technical. I am not sure what you think but come up with some ideas and we might shape something useful out of it.

message 2: by Iman (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Iman | 2 comments That's a good idea dear Kambiz.
From my point of view a defining a good book is dependant to the field of study. As an instance what we expect from a good mathematical book is different from what we do from a book in the field of linguistic.
But I think a general good book must be something new, something different.

message 3: by Maryam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Maryam (maryam5063) You can call a book a good book if you can't put it aside from the moment you start reading it. I definitely agree with Iman on the subject of the field of study.

message 4: by Cyrus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Cyrus | 2 comments Reviewing the group moderator’s description, for me, is an indication of talking about, code and code, “Best” books, not just "Good" ones. Those you should read them, even though you are not to read anything else for the rest of your life!
Some of these Best books have lived with me all entire my life, and frankly, even when I was reading them for the first time, sometimes, I put them aside in order to think, digest, and criticize (Maryam and I have different opinions on this subject)
I’d like to invite you all to discuss about your favorites. Iman’s comment is a good idea to get “the field of study” as a start point.
I’d be more than happy to have discussions in some of my beloved areas: Children literature, novels (especially detective-), short stories, and poetry.
I’d like invite the moderator as well, to explain a bit more about her initial idea!

message 5: by Leila (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Leila | 1 comments I do not agree with the classification of books to good and bad ones because it is completely depends to people's taste. For example The Enchated Soul by Romal Rollands is my favourite book but sombody may think it is a boring classical one. The memories is so important to ragard a book as good one. When you have read a romance book when you are in love it can be the best one in your life even if it is from Daniel Steel.

message 6: by Conrad (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Conrad | 1 comments I agree, Leila. Many of my own favorite books are ones I wouldn't recommend to anyone else, because they have as much to do with where and who I was when I was reading them as they do with the books' content.

But that doesn't mean I don't recognize literary quality when I see it. Even though there is something that can't be shared every time I pick up a book, there is also something that can, and for that reason I think it's possible to at least outline what good books are and what they aren't, even if we can never fill in the outline completely.

message 7: by Abnoos (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Abnoos | 1 comments I agree with Iman to come up with classified generes for the group, n then work on that.
for example on the shoot of Modern-Post Modern stories, we can review, introduce n critisize related books. n this goes for other branches,too.
in this way we keep the variety n also the respect for different styles (which is notable reagrding to the meaning of the "Good Book")

message 8: by Parisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Parisa | 1 comments Although definition of a good book depends on the feild of study, everyone has his own point of view.
For excample, in poetry a good book im my opinion may be a rubbish one in yours and vise versa.
I think it's because of this fact that we are different in many aspects.Every single one of us has his own ideas, perspectives, interests,...and all of this can affect our definition of a good book, so my description of a good book would be alot different from yours.

message 9: by Iman (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:02AM) (new)

Iman | 2 comments Dear Maryam, with all due respect I should agree with Cyrus, I think his opinion is more realistic.

Oh dear Conrad, I know what you mean but it's ok, I just can't understand where's the problem?! none of us is going to force the others to accept a book as a good one or a bad one.

But Leila's mentioned a noticeable point too. But I think such differences between ideas is good coz brings discussion and can help us to see probable unnoticed aspects of a book.

I think what our dear friend Abnoos has suggested is the best way. I think Someone should specify a field and then everyone intoduce his/her candidates as the Best books in the pre-specified field. And then we can do the same for another branch.

I think we should leave this duty to the moderator's hand to select the fields one after another.

message 10: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:05AM) (new)

Kate MacKinnon I think the definition of a "good book" is one that stays with you in part or in whole and helps (consciously or otherwise) to develop you. Whether this be a mathematical book or a fiction, if it enlightens or empowers you in some fashion, enough to stay with you through out life's many distractions, it deserves to be recognized by you as a "good book".

message 11: by Farrokh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:09AM) (new)

Farrokh | 1 comments In my humble idea good book makes you happy. I mean if you read a book and you think you didn’t waste your time that will be a good book.

message 12: by Susan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

Susan | 1 comments I am a new member here, and am interested in the variety of comments as to what constitutes a "good book". I agree that it can make one "happy", but what about a "sad" book?? A good book to me is one that I do not want to put down and that I look forward to reading when I next pick it up. I admit I am a book "snob" however. More on that if anyone wants to hear about it!

message 13: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

Héctor A good book can be happily sad or sadly happy, Susan...

message 14: by SYED (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

SYED | 1 comments A good book is a book after reading the book there must me something good u get.I m not a scholar but according to one philosopher

"A book which gives u idea to hav a fragnent impact through transiently attenuated on u will be a good book"

and these are the best words ever for a good book