Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > Eragon

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jammies (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Jammies Ewwww. My nephews picked this one as a gift for me, based on the cover. I think they could have written the story--every clichèd character ever written about, plus a hackneyed plot.

Then they went and made a movie out of it? *hurl*

message 2: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 64 comments Does this surprise you? The kid wrote the book when he was, like, 14 years old. Seriously.

message 3: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 64 comments Well, I do give the kid props for writing a novel, getting it published, and writing a ton of sequels. He may not be a good writer but he's published and probably will never have to work a real job in his life.

message 4: by Jammies (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Jammies Alex, I hadn't heard any of the hype when I read the book, so I didn't know about the age of the author.

Sherri, you're better off not reading it.

It wasn't quite a Book Against The Wall, but it certainly wasn't one I wanted to re-read. Feh.

message 5: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 136 comments Mod
Wow, I'm so relieved to hear this! Every time a 15-year-old publishes a novel I fill with hideous envy. Glad to know it was just impressive for his age, and not for, say, my age.

message 6: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 64 comments LOL! Yes Kate, be safe in the knowledge that, at 14, he was not a better writer than, say, a literate grown-up such as yourself. :)

message 7: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) My daughter wanted to read these books, so I gave them a whirl. They didn't do a whole lot for me, but she likes them. She's reading 'Eldest' now.

Of course, she's 9. ;) lol

message 8: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Caroline I picked Eragon up from all the raving reviews I'd read/heard and was very disappointed. Even worse, I gave Eldest a chance and was really disappointed. I was willing to give Paolini the benefit of the doubt in Eragon, but when his writing got worse in Eldest that was it for me. What a shame!

Whenever I get customers asking me about the series (I work in a bookstore), I try to discourage them from it and recommend something more worthwhile like Garth Nix or Tamora Pierce. It usually works.

message 9: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) Stealingbabies,

Since my daughter likes that type of stuff, are either of those series appropriate for a 10-yr old? I don't know anything about either of them.

Thanks,
Xy

message 10: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Caroline Xysea- Definitely appropriate, especially Tamora Pierce! Most of Pierce's series center around female characters, usually in their pre-teens or teens, struggling in a man's world. She focuses a lot of female power, and the ability for women do just as good (and better!) than men. For young girls that enjoy fantasy, they're very empowering books that they'll just eat up! The books get a little bit into sex and puberty, but it's vague enough that it's not at all offensive. If it sounds like something she'd like, I'd say start off with the very first, which is Alanna: The First Adventure.

Garth Nix is for a little bit of an older crowd, and they're a little darker, so that one's harder to recommend unless you have a feel for the kid and their ability to handle scarier books. I'd recommend those a few years further on for her if she doesn't scary bits.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I had this book thrust at me by several people whose opinions I typically respect. But I HATED this book. It's incredibly derivative (managing to not only rip off various fantasy conventions but liberally borrowing plot elements from Sega Saturn's Panzer Dragoon) the only thing that made it worse was having people who don't typically read the genre telling me how unlike it was from all the other fantasy which they HAVEN'T READ. Arrgh. This book makes me want to stab myself in the head.

Stealing Babies: I just ended my 10 years of independent bookselling, we always gave 'em His Dark Materials, Coraline, or the Bromeliad Trilogy.

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace | 22 comments Ok, first of all I have to say that I didn't actually finish this book, I read about 250 pages into and couldn't get any further it was just too painful.

I started it pretty soon after it came out, I'm a teenage homeschooler and figured that it was sort of my duty to read a book written by a teenage homeschooler. But I just couldn't get through it. There were just so many things that I couldn't stand. As you mentioned, Steve, he stole SO much stuff from other fantasy books, I mean he practically took Tolkiens world and renamed some creatures. One of the things that bother me the most though, was how slowly it progressed, I felt like he was trying to write a long book. I really don't need to read three chapters where nothing happens! I don't mind reading long books, I love long books! But a book should be long because it took that many pages to tell the story, not because the author thinks it would look cooler.

I don't understand why kids get published, if it was written by an adult an editor would say it wasn't any good, so how come a kid can get the same thing published? I mean, it's not like there are writing child prodigies, it's something you learn, a skill you develop. He doesn't have his own voice, he's not experienced enough.

--Okay, rant over.--

Coraline scared the hell out of me! lol, I read it when I was, like, eleven or twelve, *shudders* But it is really good.

message 13: by Sean (last edited Mar 05, 2008 09:56AM) (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) I have yet to read a "good" novel by a teenaged writer. Even when I read over the books I wrote while I was in high school now, I think they're awful, and I believe they're better than what a lot of these teen authors are kicking out. You look at the history and almost every single teen author in the modern era has had a mother or a friend of the family in publishing who got them "in."

Come to think of it, a lot of books are published for that reason... teen author or not.

I think some companies are willing to take a chance on a teen author because they think other teens will buy it.

Give Paolini credit, though. He put out a mediocre product and made sweet bank on it. We should all be so lucky. In the end, I'm quite certain he doesn't give two flipping figs about any of our opinions...and when he passes us in his H2 on his way to his big house in some ritzy part of the New York countryside, he probably won't even wave...

I think of an article I read while I was working on my Master's degree that spoke of the dumbing-down of America--of how publishers were publishing absolute drivel instead of more challenging books because they were trying to bring people back to bookstores. I think "Eragon" is a perfect example of that. It's a decent adventure geared toward kids who probably would never invest the time to read Tolkien, Jordan, or Goodkind*...it had a great hype machine behind it...and it was written at about a 5th grade level, so it wasn't challenging.

But, that might just be my jaded opinion, who knows.

(*Please note, I only add Goodkind because he wrote a long-ass series in the adventure/quest vein like Eragon...I think he's a hack, too.)

message 14: by Mouse (new)

Mouse | 18 comments For those who say, "but he was only fifteen", I'm afraid that defense holds no water. He started on it when he was fifteen but finished it when he was nineteen. That's four years he could read and revise his work.

For all you Eragon haters, though, here's a website that takes apart both Eragon and Eldest chapter by chapter. It touches on some very important points while being funny at the same time (Zombie Mpreg Horses).

http://eragon-sporkings.wikispaces.co...

message 15: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 5 comments Mouse wrote: "For those who say, "but he was only fifteen", I'm afraid that defense holds no water. He started on it when he was fifteen but finished it when he was nineteen. That's four years he could read and ..."

Also, his family self-published it for him, and then took him around the country for a year to promote it.

One of the worst books (and series) ever!

message 16: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated this series. I actually only got about 3/4 of the way through Eragon and gave up. I just couldn't slog any farther along through it. The main character just made me angry and acted like a spoiled child. I actually liked the movie better than the book, but not by much. And the Sporkings website Mouse, hilarious!

message 17: by Ronald (new)

Ronald | 4 comments I just read about 20 pages before turning it back (at least a friend of mine lent it to me).

message 18: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 5 comments I loved the Sporkings website too! So funny.

message 19: by Ulrich (new)

Ulrich (ulricht) | 2 comments Mouse wrote: "For those who say, "but he was only fifteen", I'm afraid that defense holds no water. He started on it when he was fifteen but finished it when he was nineteen. That's four years he could read and ..."

Best synopsis site EVER. Thank you! Literally rolling with laughter. (Well I was, obviously I stopped to type this)

I tried to read Eragon once, I was all like "Spine of the World mountains? Hmm... That almost seems familiar somehow... Like I read it before somewhere..." Gads, not an original thought in the thing! Or at least the first three chapters anyway... I just couldn't take it!