Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

2010 Archive > Books: How do you decide

Comments (showing 1-50 of 126) (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila How do you decide what book to read?
I look at recommendations of friends and lists at Goodreads, but more often than not I just go into the library and walk down the aisles picking up books, looking at them and decide that way.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 420 comments well, partly I look for books by authors that I already know I like. Partly is suggestions from friends. Partly from reading reviews (GR and Amazon) and partly from wandering around looking at titles and reading the back (or flap) of the book. Sometimes tho, I don't have any choice (like books for bookclubs/reading challenges where the book is assigned.)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I get recommendations from friends, but mostly I discover books on my own just surfing around, and I am on Fantastic Fiction almost as much as Goodreads.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Ditto to what Crystal said. If I see that a goodreads friend really liked a book, I'll look up that author on fantasticfiction and write down all the books from that particular author that I'd like to read. I also look up these fun lists that people have made on goodreads like "retro reads" or "ice and snow" and get some great ideas based on whatever I happen to be interested in at the moment.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debmcg) | 2 comments I share my likes and dislikes of books I have read with friends, family and other goodread members.

message 6: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Nov 12, 2009 02:37PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Mostly I get my recommendations from friends and family and by perusing Goodreads and the various threads in the groups I am in. I also look at lists, though, especially the NY Times to 10 list and the 1001 books to read before you die list. Lastly, when I go to the library to pick up books, I always peruse the "New Books" section.

Then there are always series that I like, and authors that I know and like.

I used to go the the bookstores and look at all the books, but since I am trying not to spend as much money on books, I have quit doing that.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) I get a lot of my recommendations from Amazon. You know how when you pull up a certain book and then they have a bunch of books that you might also be interested in? I've actually gotten a lot of good stuff that way. Also get good suggestions from friends on other boards. And I like going into a bookstore and seeing what catches my eye in the new releases.

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) I get my recommendations from friends as well. I also look real close at the pages at the back of a book where they are advertising different authors. Also in the front of the books where there are quotes pulled out, I look for different authors as well.

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) I get recommendations, or maybe someone on my friends list on here has read or marked something that looks interesting. book club books are a big one right now. or just walking through a bookstore.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (wstridgerunner) Some of the best recommendatins I've gotten is from patrons....I figure that they are "professional readers" and they should know.... :)

message 11: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (JordieHeartsBooks) | 37 comments I see what others are reading in my friends list here, look for other authors shelved in my fav sections at book stores, see what Amazon suggests I may like based on past purchases and read book descriptions in my Entertainment Weekly (though I never trust reviews of any kind). I see what's on the bestseller lists but I usually don't read them unless it's an author I'd read anyway.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (karmolina) | 17 comments I look at what my Goodreads friends have read in the past...I know that if certain people like a book, I'll probably like it too. I take into consideration ratings on the books...if a book has less than 3.5 I usually don't read it unless it has really good ratings from my GR friends. Also, when I find an author I like, I tend to read as many of their books as I can get my hands on.

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (BrendaSue) | 19 comments I get recommendations from friends, pay attention to what others are reading in the groups I belong to, and keep track of new books written by authors I like. After that, I'm big into brousing the bookstores and actually pick some books by their cover. Sounds weird, but sometimes I pick a book up based on its cover to see if it's something that appeals to me.

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna (gumshoegal) It's a mix. I get e-newsletters from different publishers; e-newsletters from websites for specific genres (ie www.stopyourekillingme.com); through friends online and locally; checking sites like Borders and Amazon; picking up Bookpage from the library; looking at the Arts section in Sunday's paper; peeking at what others are reading at work, in a store, etc.; and my favorite which is wandering the aisles at my local library or bookstore. There's always a nice surprise no matter the source.

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha | 27 comments I look to see what the Book Club is reading on babycenter.com
I work at a library, so I'll ask people if they like the book they've returned.
I'll always take out the newest books from my favourite authors.

message 16: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I look at reviews on Goodreads and several internet book stores; get e-newsletters from different publishers and bookstores; I'm a subscriber to Booksmarks Magazine; I get Bookpage from the library; I talk to all my reader friends; I just walk through bookstores and libraries and pick out what looks interesting.

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 336 comments I rely heavily on Goodreads actually. Especially for authors that I haven't heard of. There are TONS of books I would not have really read without this site.

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie (grundig) | 57 comments I sometimes look at reviews or what other people are reading. I sometimes read the blurbs on the back of the book.
But mainly I go by the titles. If they spark an interest in me, I get that book. So far, I haven't been disappointed.
I also look at authors that I like or have read before.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Daniel Sheila wrote: "How do you decide what book to read?
I look at recommendations of friends and lists at Goodreads, but more often than not I just go into the library and walk down the aisles picking up books, loo..."

I use the wandering method quite a bit myself! :)

message 20: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I have my tried and true favorite authors who I pick up without even reading the blurb. For variety, I browse at Borders and Barnes & Noble as well as online at paperbackswap.com. If I'm looking to buy something, maybe I'll check out Amazon but not usually.

I visit a used book store every week or so and just browse. For $0.50 a book, I can try new authors who I wouldn't try if I had to purchase the books.

message 21: by Cordel (new)

Cordel Durrant | 6 comments For books I buy, first, I go to my local indie, owned by two former students, and look at their new and notable section. Then I ask their advice. Then our Taoist Tai Chi group raises money by bringing in used books, so I choose from those. Most of my on-line friends come from a now-defunct group called Readerville, which developed out of a group that used to belong to Salon's Table Talk. I joined it for ideas on books to read, and select many from their recommendations. Some of my on-line friends from that group are authors, so of course, I first read all of their books. Oh, and I borrow all my mystery books from the library, since I don't need to keep those for re-reading.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather Whenever a book catches my eye at the library or a bookstore, I snap a photo of the cover on my cell phone. I eventually add the books to my goodreads to read list, but it's been really useful so that I don't forget titles that looked good! :)

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Heather wrote: "Whenever a book catches my eye at the library or a bookstore, I snap a photo of the cover on my cell phone. I eventually add the books to my goodreads to read list, but it's been really useful so t..."

What a great idea!!! Wow, I'll have to try that.

message 24: by Cammie (last edited Nov 13, 2009 06:42PM) (new)

Cammie I choose books by recommendations, the book's cover or the book's title.

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Lane (jaxlane) | 127 comments Most of the books I read are recommendations from family, friends or goodreads.

I buy all my tried and true authors without reading the blurb. My worst habit is if I am in a store and a walk past a book with an interesting cover, the book just jumps up into my hands and off I go to the cashier to purchase it, generally without even reading the synopsis of the book. I have found some awesome new reads that way.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer C When I find an author I like I read anything they have written. lol, I am still trying to get caught up on Nora Roberts, I am a late comer to that train. I also have received a lot of recommendations from friend, family, co-workers and the discussion forums on Paperbackswap.com. I also read any book synopsis' that are in the literarture I get in the mail - like the Costco newsletter. That is how I found the Little Book which I enjoyed.

message 27: by Karol (new)

Karol Near the end of 2008, I discovered the "Cozy" mystery genre, and have found many books to read from http://www.cozy-mystery.com/

But most of the things on my "To Read" list come from books other people have reviewed or mentioned on Goodreads. When a title grabs my attention, I just have to read about the book (including at least a few reviews) - at least 60% of the time I end up adding it to my "To Reads!"

And yeah, I love the days when I can spend some quality time browsing the shelves at my local library. I usually come home with an armload or more of unplanned reading.

message 28: by Rayni (new)

Rayni | 138 comments Sometimes a book will just scream my name, other times I read books by favorite authors. I've found lots of authors & books on GoodReads that I would never have even looked at.

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina My answer it like a lot of ppl. I have a few auto-reads. And then I troll the blogs, watch and see what my GR friends are reading, check my recs on Amazon etc. And also, now that I have an e-reader, I'll take advantage of free book offerings. In the last two months alone, about 10 books I've read were free offerings.

I read in phases too. If I discover a good new author I'll totally glom their back-list until I'm all out of their books or they begin to disappoint. If I read a certain type of book and it really catches my fancy, I'll all about finding like-books. The contrary also occurs. Sometimes I hit a tipping point of a specific type of book where I get totally turned off and I need something completely different.

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie | 46 comments I wander around Borders and before I know it I have stacks in my arms. I try to go without my kids otherwise they try to stop me - telling me I can buy only 1... Really Now!

message 31: by Kim (new)

Kim I look for recommendations from my good read friends and add them to my wishlist, I try to fit books into the seasonal challenge. I also love getting a parcel of books passed to me every few months by one of my friends. She has the same taste as me- and it always feels like Christmas when she brings a new selection round.

message 32: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 420 comments CHRISTMAS. OOHHH, lots and lots and LOTS of books for Christmas. What more can a girl ask for, right? Well, except for some chocolate to eat while wallowing in the stacks of books while stroking them, snuggling with them and then picking out JUST the right one. (fanning face) oh my, I need to go find something to read. :o)

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 17 comments I get recommendations from family and friends. I also get ideas from Goodreads.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan (SuperBookFreak) | 114 comments I get recommendations from family and friends, from goodreads, I'm in several groups here in goodreads, I also get it from my forums where we have book clubs, I also go to the library and see what they have and I also like to read things by my favorite authors.

message 35: by MJ (new)

MJ | 5 comments I read reviews to see whats hot ans whats not. Then I check to see if any of my friends on GR have read them and if yes what was their opionion of the book. Then I look at the groups I am in on GR to see if anyone has read the book who is not a friend and what did they think. And if I still cant decided I go to the book store and look at the cover....if its pretty I buy it. lol.

message 36: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) MJ said, And if I still cant decided I go to the book store and look at the cover....if its pretty I buy it.

I love that!! I end up with books like that too, and do something similar with wine, a pretty label will make me buy it.

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) I pick stuff by authors I like or when something catches my eye on goodreads (could be a title or a book cover or a good review or a recommendation by someone here). I try not to, but I also end up with a lot of books I pick at random at the library - I am trying not to find new stuff when my TBR is so long, but covers and titles catch my eye and I can't help but bring them home like little lost kittens. ;)

message 38: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 171 comments I like to go to used book/thrift stores and see what they have. I am always looking for my favorite authors, but when the books are cheap you can experiment more. I'll also read anything my mom liked, and nothing my sister did.

message 39: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Fw2books wrote: "They changed FF. Befor..."

I'm sort of confused on what you found. When I go to FF, it's still the same, not a message board...

message 40: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Fw2books wrote: "I had typed in Mercedes Lackey and I had the message boards come up..."

Glad to be of help ;-)

message 41: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) | 831 comments I pretty much decide what to read based on Goodreads recommendations. If I come across a book that is heavily recommended by my friends in Goodreads, I pick it up to read, other times, I read the blurbs and if they sound interesting, I pick it up. Some times, if the cover looks good, it jumps into my cart!

message 42: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) Sara wrote: "I like to go to used book/thrift stores and see what they have. I am always looking for my favorite authors, but when the books are cheap you can experiment more. I'll also read anything my mom lik..."

I like what you said that is so funny

message 43: by Becky (new)

Becky Cleveland (BeckyCleveland) Ann wrote: "CHRISTMAS. OOHHH, lots and lots and LOTS of books for Christmas. What more can a girl ask for, right? Well, except for some chocolate to eat while wallowing in the stacks of books while stroking..."

You crack me up! I'm exactly the same way - too many books to read! And which is first - I like the fanning of the face...!

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky Cleveland (BeckyCleveland) I usually go to our local (small) library and scan the "new release" section and look for my favorite authors. If a cover catches my eye, I'll read the inside flap and see if it catches my interest. Lately, I'm looking for recommendations from Goodreads and from the Mystery Divas group - My TBR list has grown by leaps and bounds - whether I can find them in the library is yet to be seen :) Happy reading!

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Once I find an author I like, I usually go through all their books. I pick up others by word of mouth or on Goodreads. Now that I've joined Novel Ladies, I'm trying to expand my repertoire and branching out in directions I normally wouldn't read!

Sometimes I also just walk around the library and pick up something that has an interesting title/cover art/blurb.

message 46: by Tricia (new)

Tricia I tend to rely on the recommendations of friends. If one of my friends tells me a book is really good, I'll check it out. They generally know my tastes and what will appeal to me. I also read the book review section in People magazine and occasionally pick one out from there. And sometimes I'll find a book or author from browsing on goodreads.com.

message 47: by Renee (new)

Renee | 49 comments topic: Books: How do you decide

I tend to go by recommendations from family and friends but I am usually pretty happy with my stand by genre's (crime/suspense/romance).

message 48: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (CindyA) I typically read based on my mood;I have favourite authors, but never read everything they write, I like to keep some for dry spells. Since joining Goodreads, I have more choices. Once I have read a book and rate it, I then read the reviews, if I like or agree with the reviwer, I look at the reviewer's book list to see if there is any book I like on their list, if I find what I like, I go in search of the book or author at the library, bookstore or thrift store depending on how desprate I am for a book to read.

message 49: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) I tend to stick to my favortie authors but for new titles I rely on all you here on GOODREADS.

message 50: by Linda (new)

Linda (mslinda8393) | 52 comments I look at different genres on GR, my friend's reading lists on GR, and the Barnes and Noble site. My family members don't read, so I can't get any book ideas from them. I guess I rely mostly on GR--NL! Thanks, ladies!

« previous 1 3