The Sword and Laser discussion

The Sword of Rhiannon
This topic is about The Sword of Rhiannon
2015 Reads > TSoR: Is this Tom's response to the Hugo Controversy?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Robert Osborne (ensorceled) | 80 comments When I first read about the Hugo nomination controversy and that the goal of the "Sad Puppies" was to restore to the Hugo's roster books exemplifying "what might best be called visceral, gut-level, swashbuckling fun", my first thought was of books like The Sword of Rhiannon.

My second thought was, that not many books like that have won a Hugo so what the heck are they talking about.

I realize that the Sad Pupplies movement has much darker roots than "restoring the fun", but it's also good to reflect on the silliness of the stated premise and celebrate how far SF and Fantasy has come since those days.

That said, I still enjoyed the trip down memory lane :-)

Lindsay | 593 comments That was my thought too, but Tom's position on the puppies is "they didn't break the rules/we shouldn't care about awards anyway", so I don't see him getting involved that way.

I wouldn't really describe this book as representative of the sort of work the puppies like anyway, and despite the antipathy I have towards them, I wouldn't mischaracterize their movement as "return to pulp".

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4148 comments If I were to pick an old-school work that exemplified the fun and cosmic scope of early SF, it would probably be one of the Lensman books. Foundation too, less swashbuckling and more academic, but still fun.

message 4: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Maybe he's experimenting on you. Maybe he's been experimenting on all of us for years!

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments If we really wanted a book that exemplifies what the Puppies believe is missing in modern SF, the best choice would be Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream.

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments They couldn't find a more lukewarm endorsement to use as a cover blurb for that book? "Disturbingly fascinating" sounds more like a reaction to watching someone pop a zit.

Lindsay | 593 comments Sean wrote: "If we really wanted a book that exemplifies what the Puppies believe is missing in modern SF, the best choice would be Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream."

I know you're just making a joke, but Poe's Law applies. There are people who follow the puppies who really think that the "SJWs" have this opinion of them and it all just fuels the outrage.

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4148 comments I keep wanting to quote Rodney King. "Can't we all just get along?"

Mark (markmtz) | 2526 comments Thane wrote: "Maybe he's experimenting on you. Maybe he's been experimenting on all of us for years!"

Wait. Wut? Do you mean that the Supremes are hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings who, unbeknownst to book club members, are running complex experiments on us?

message 10: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4148 comments If I were to pick a classic space opera, it would probably be one of the Lensman books. Or going a bit later, Glory Road.

message 11: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Mark wrote: "Thane wrote: "Maybe he's experimenting on you. Maybe he's been experimenting on all of us for years!"

Wait. Wut? Do you mean that the Supremes are hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings who, unb..."

YES.

message 12: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments By the way, if you've already finished this are looking for some more class Scifi, Andre Norton's Star Soldiers is available free for Kindle.
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Soldiers-A...

message 13: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4148 comments ^ Star Soldiers is great. Yes, it's a bit dated, but well worth the read.

message 14: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2526 comments Mark wrote: "Thane wrote: "Maybe he's experimenting on you. Maybe he's been experimenting on all of us for years!"

"Wait. Wut? Do you mean that the Supremes are hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings who, unb..."

"YES."

That explains a lot. I get an email from Goodreads announcing the next month's S&L pick, then I hit the buy button at some online bookstore (if I don't already have the book on a physical or virtual shelf). I get a notification that the new podcast is available, then I hit the download button, followed by the play button.

At this stage of the experiment, it appears that I'm extremely well trained.

I'm almost afraid to ask... What's next?

message 15: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Mark wrote: "Mark wrote: "Thane wrote: "Maybe he's experimenting on you. Maybe he's been experimenting on all of us for years!"

"Wait. Wut? Do you mean that the Supremes are hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional b..."

Um, have you had any nightmares of people sticking you with needles? Orphan Black style? Not saying I have or haven't...

message 16: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1158 comments Mod
The scorpion advised me not to comment.

message 17: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2526 comments Tom wrote: "The scorpion advised me not to comment."

Does your scorpion have a name?

message 18: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Tom = Donny! Someone warn his wife.

message 19: by Fresno Bob (last edited May 26, 2015 03:23PM) (new)

Fresno Bob | 589 comments Would you like horse baby? Cow baby?

message 20: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 33 comments Ha! If only anything on the Puppies slate was even half as good as this book.