A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) A Court of Thorns and Roses discussion

SERIOUS QUESTION THAT MUST BE ANSWERED!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Hannah SPOILERS!! CLICK AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THIS BOOK...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for all caps but I just finished ACOTAR. OMG people... now that Feyre is a High Fae is Rhys her mate?? At the very end of the book he sniffs her (BIG deal with faes and mates) and FREAKS out. So badly that he 'STUMBLES'. I think Tamlin was her human love but now that she's fae, she has a true mate (aka Rhys). Is anybody else getting this vibe or is it just me?

Vivianne I was thinking that too, my other theory is that when Rhys starts to do his phasing thing something attacks him, or something is off and the whole "nostrils flaring" is more of a way to show he is really scared?

But yeah, those are my leading theories, somehow Rhys and Feyre started a mating bond with all their sharing thoughts and feelings and whatnot, or something happened to Rhys. I can't believe I have to wait a year to find out!

Georgie Devereux I GOT THE MATE FIBE TOO! i think that's what happened. It makes sense

Ariana Lynn Omg this never occurred to me! It makes sense now that you've mentioned it. I kinda hope this is what happened bc I would love to see how this would play out!

Sanja Hannah from Been There Read That wrote: "SPOILERS!! CLICK AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THIS BOOK...

Sorry for all caps but I just finished ACOTAR. OMG people... now that Feyre ..."

My thoughts exactly!
And I so so so hope that will be the case. I kind of have a crush on him!

Hannah I also read someone else's theory that shes PREGNANT! And Rhys just freaked out because it is super rare for fae to have children...OMG. I kind of hope the story doesn't go in that directions though. I would much rather have the mate storyline happen.

Sanja Me too! I feel like a lunatic! I pick another book today just so I can get over 'A Court of Thorns and Roses', and while I was 'reading' I acctualy found myself thinking about Rhys...
I love when I find great book, but hate finishing it like this :(

Morning Star I hope not. I mean I love Rhys and it would amazing if he had a love interest (not Feyre) but love triangles are getting kind of old.

Sasa That ending drove me crazy. I need to know what Rhys sensed about her, or what happened to him to make him stumble. At first I thought Feyre would find a huge monster standing right behind her when she turned around, and then there was nothing. So it was either him sensing/seeing something about her, or he really got attacked. I wouldn't mind a love triangle in this story.

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict Omg! I SOOOOO did not think of this. I literally just gasped out loud. Lolz, I just thought that he realized in that moment that he was falling for her. And as for the mind comunicating stuff I just thought it was because of the tattoo think. But now Im thinking that the tattoo might be the reason they are starting to bond together as mates. Because the tattoo binds them together and Feyre doesnt have any feelings for him until after the tattoo is on her.

On the other hand, Feyre felt that something was wrong with Tamlin and thats why she went after it. Is it possible to be mated to too people? Maybe she's mated with Tamlin through love and she's mated to Rhys by the tattoo and because of that she starts gaining real feelings for him.

TheMany_Adventures The ending seriously crushed my fangirl heart! I didn't want a love triangle to happen between these characters, but after the way Rhys reacted to fayre I can only see it happening.

message 12: by Stéphanie (last edited May 20, 2015 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stéphanie The mate theory might make sense since her soul also stayed with rhys when she died.

This is what I posted on a similar topic:
I've been thinking a lot about this, and I had this feeling while reading the book.

What if Amarantha's sister gave birth to a fae-human baby right before she died? I believe Feyre to be related to her, it might explain perhaps why Nesta couldn't be compulsed. Feyre said at he beginning of the book that she and Nesta had the same eyes as her mother did, Maybe Rhys saw her eyes, and now that she was fae they were more like the eyes of her perhaps fae ancestor

Oh and team Tamlin all the way. Rhys drugged her almost every night for about 2 months, and made her do stuff she didn't want to do. I know he is all mysterious and seems like a tortured soul or whatever, but that is just not okay.

message 13: by Sasa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sasa Stéphanie wrote: "The mate theory might make sense since her soul also stayed with rhys when she died.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I had this feeling while rea..."

I thought about her having fae heritage but dismissed it, since I couldn't see how that could have happened. But your theory makes perfect sense! And it would also explain why she's so apt at hunting.

Rhys giving her the wine bothered me too, but I think he did it with the agenda of making her look less dangerous to Amarantha. So long as everybody believed Feyre was his "plaything" nobody suspected he was helping her actually take down Amarantha. Also, he maybe didn't want her to have memories of being made to dance in front of the court because I think he suffers from remembering all the things Amarantha has forced him to do. That doesn't make it right of course, but I think he acted in good intention.

Felicia As soon as Rhys was brought into the picture, I had initially worried about there being a love triangle, but by the end of the book. . . I'm not sure I would mind all that much.

I also initially thought about the ending and it possibly hinting at Feyre being Rhysand's mate. However there are some similarities between that reactions and other points in the story where either Tamlin, Rhys, etc have sensed an oncoming danger, or unsavory individual approaching.
So I am a little hard pressed to completely ignore that possibility either.

I do love the theory proposed by Stephanie. Very interesting, and fitting. Especially since there does seem to be a little bit of mystery surrounding their mother. We the reader don't get much insight on who she was.
I have to agree with the oddity of Nesta being unable to be compulsed by faeries. Not something common amongst us mere mortals, and could hint at fae lineage.

Truthfully, I don't know if I can wait another year for book two. I'm more incline to re-read this at least a few more times and pick it apart until I'm satisfied. :P

Diana Braxton Please no. Just no. I love, love, love all of the characters, including Rhysand, but I want Feyre to end up with Tamlin. I don't want there to be a love triangle, I don't want her to change her mind.

Diana Braxton Stéphanie wrote: "The mate theory might make sense since her soul also stayed with rhys when she died.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I had this feeling while rea..."

YES! I LOVE YOU! FINALLY SOMEONE WHO IS LOGICAL! I HATED THE DRUGGING THING! I ACTUALLY LIKED HIM AS A CHARACTER, BUT HATED THE DRUGGING THING!

Stéphanie jay!! Finally some people who find my idea possible :D

@felicia : I already did a reread, reading it the 2nd time was almost just as good as the first because you now have the information that you didn't have when first reading it.

Felicia @Stephanie Oh I imagine it's just as much fun a second time around. I was debating about rereading it - but I have so many other titles on my list at the moment. Perhaps when the second book is updated with details or has a publication date. ;)

message 19: by Nurlely (last edited May 26, 2015 12:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely I think Feyre is pregnant. That is a rare case for high fey (as told in the story), and even considered an extremely rare case for Feyre might have been pregnant when she was still a human. That might be danger for the fairies too. Who knows? But that is why I think Rhys freaked out.

I love Rhysand but I don't think Feyre wants him as she always want Tamlin. Rhys does have an irresistible charm, but it is Tamlin that Feyre wants.

Felicia @Nurlely
Perhaps. I've heard that brought up before. It is extremely rare, which makes me a little hesitant buying into that possibility. Especially since Feyre had just been turned into a high Fae.
Anywho - still could be the case. It's unfortunate that we'll have to wait so long for book 2. :P

Wy'Kia I'm hoping Queen of Shadows gives us some insight on the whole mate thing. The next storyline is said to have to do with the Hades and Persephone myth and if you read it, it sounds like Rhysand is Hades so... If it's a love triangle like ToG then I feel an epic fangirl fight coming on. I love Tamlin and Rhysand a lot. If Feyre leaves Tamlin he will be heart broken, but Rhysand needs something good in his life way more than Tamlin does.

Oh, the choices. But....Team Rhysand FTW!!! Tamlin can marry Nesta.

Sanja Kia wrote: "I'm hoping Queen of Shadows gives us some insight on the whole mate thing. The next storyline is said to have to do with the Hades and Persephone myth and if you read it, it sounds like Rhysand is ..."

I'm with you girl! Team Rhysand! :D

Sophia Sanja wrote: "Kia wrote: "I'm hoping Queen of Shadows gives us some insight on the whole mate thing. The next storyline is said to have to do with the Hades and Persephone myth and if you read it, it sounds like..."

Oh yeah! Team Rhysand all the way xD

Noël Hannah wrote: "SPOILERS!! CLICK AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THIS BOOK...

Sorry for all caps but I just finished ACOTAR. OMG people... now that Feyre ..."

I'm with you on this 100%! I absolutely loved Rhysand's character. I can't wait to see what Sarah J. Maas has planned for Feyre and Rhysand.

message 25: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber This is a wonderful thread but thinking about it kills, the wait is too much!

message 26: by Ria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ria Visweswaran TEAM Rhysand <3 I love Tamlin but the FeyrexTamlin ship was almost too easy if that makes sense? Like besides getting married or realizing that they are mates, their relationship can't really develop much further. And plus (like everyone else) I think Rhysand is Feyre's mate.

Kristin Ciullo This is evidence that others mentioned before (sorry, I can't remember all who said this so I can't give direct credit). Evidence in the book that supports Rhys being Feyre's mate:

In the beginning Feyre mentions that she painted the dressers for herself and her sisters. Nesta had flames (many think that she will be with Lucien), Elain had flowers, and more specifically roses, leading some to believe that there's a possibility of her ending up with Tamlin. Feyre painted whorls and stars on her dresser. Seems like foreshadowing.

When Feyre is in the dungeon cell, she hears music that takes her away from the here and now and brings her out of her depression. She mentions seeing a palace in the sky made of moonstone. Clearly this is not Tamlin's home. It would make sense if this was the Night Court since Rhys has wings and could live in a palace in the sky and, well, Night Court... moonstone... (she also mentions that the one she loves is within this place in her vision)

Just before she had said vision she mentions that she thinks the music is a hallucination because when she looks up at the ceiling in the dungeon she sees "the vast expanse of the starry night sky..." This could be more foreshadowing of the bond between her and Rhys or could possibly be Rhys's own doing through the tattoo.

Katrina But he's such a dick. Like I mean yeah sure he saves her, but he also volates her thoughts, mortifies her, threatens her, Lucien and Tamlin, would happily kill her whole family, drugs her against her will, basically forcing her to be his 'pet' and dresses her like a stripper, only to parade her around the whole time and force her to submit to him. Not particular qualities you look for in a mate.

Kristin Ciullo Katrina wrote: "But he's such a dick. Like I mean yeah sure he saves her, but he also volates her thoughts, mortifies her, threatens her, Lucien and Tamlin, would happily kill her whole family, drugs her against h..."

It's in no way ok what Rhys did to Feyre in the book but he had reasons for pretty much everything that he did. If he had told her what he was doing and why then it wouldn't have been convincing to the court that Rhys was going along with Amarantha. He needed to convince everyone that he was working for her. Does it make me like what he did? No. Did it make him more interesting as a character? Sure.

message 30: by WinterRose (last edited Oct 30, 2015 09:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

WinterRose Not only that, but Feyre can't tell Amarantha what she doesn't know. Keeping her somewhat in the dark was the safest action.

Plus...I don't know why we're acting like Tamlin and Lucien are innocent balls of sunshine. Tamlin lied to her, placed magic over her family so they'd not look for her, then manipulated her to staying with him by threatening to stop protecting her family.

If we're supposed to understand why he did those things, surely we can see why Rhysand had Feyre play the role of his consort. (Which is what that was--a ROLE. Rhysand wasn't doing anything under the mountain for kicks and giggles. Feyre had to look the part and act the part to keep Amarantha in the dark. She isn't hundreds of years old who has mastered deception like Rhysand, so the wine was needed. And most importantly, Rhysand's plan was successful.)

Amarantha planted the seed by placing Feyre in Rhysand's quarters to clean lentils. It makes sense that from there, she becomes his plaything/consort. (At least to Amarantha) Which actually works out well, because it gives Feyre and Rhysand excuses to be close and thus, be able to plot against Amarantha. He's able to strike that bargain and give her the tattoo that will actually allow him to help her ONLY BECAUSE it's been established Feyre is Rhysand's consort. If Feyre wasn't playing that role, it would have been harder for Rhysand to find an excuse to get that tattoo on her.

It was actually a brilliant plan. The wine was simply needed to ensure Feyre played the role convincingly. At least that's what seemed obvious to me.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

WinterRose wrote: "Not only that, but Feyre can't tell Amarantha what she doesn't know. Keeping her somewhat in the dark was the safest action.

Plus...I don't know why we're acting like Tamlin and Lucien are innocen..."

WinterRose wrote: "Not only that, but Feyre can't tell Amarantha what she doesn't know. Keeping her somewhat in the dark was the safest action.

Plus...I don't know why we're acting like Tamlin and Lucien are innocen..."

Exactly. It's amazing to me how people can forgive Tamlin for all the crap he put her through--lying, manipulating--while issuing the death sentence to Rhysand for doing the exact same thing all because he's the female MC's love interest...

Mels6675 I have several theories, but to be simple, I truly feel that Feyre's true love is Tamlin. Why do everything she just did, to have it all mean nothing by now falling in love with Rhysand.

Kalynn Ria wrote: "TEAM Rhysand <3 I love Tamlin but the FeyrexTamlin ship was almost too easy if that makes sense? Like besides getting married or realizing that they are mates, their relationship can't really devel..."
I understand exactly what you mean about Feyre and Tamlin's ship being 'too easy'. There really isn't much more they can really do with their relationship now that they didn't do in ACOTAR, which is why I think that Rhysand and Feyre will be endgame.

I'mogén Hannah wrote: "SPOILERS!! CLICK AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THIS BOOK...

Wow!! I completely glazed over that! This could be a real big thing!!! :O Can't wait to see their time together in the next book.

message 35: by Lara (last edited Nov 16, 2015 08:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara C. J. wrote: "WinterRose wrote: "Not only that, but Feyre can't tell Amarantha what she doesn't know. Keeping her somewhat in the dark was the safest action.

Plus...I don't know why we're acting like Tamlin and..."

tbh, both Tamlin and Rhys put Feyre through crap to accomplish some goal (the better part their own goals) So really, neither one of them is better. Problem is, we got to see a good side of Tamlin (with his caring for her and her family there at the end, and his clear devotion to her) where as we didn't really get to see that with Rhys (he was mostly just a lust interest throughout the novel, and an interesting character, but not anything beneficial to Feyre's character) So I have mixed feelings on both of these characters, and I guess we'll see where it goes in the next book………. which may take eons to come out -_-

message 36: by WinterRose (last edited Nov 17, 2015 12:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

WinterRose I agree, Lara. I think both Rhysand and Tamlin are guilty of manipulating Feyre to accomplish their same, as you pointed out, goals.

But I do think Rhysand was beneficial to Feyre's character, as he was the one who was mentally and emotionally there for her during the trials - which to me, was far more vital for her character arc than anything that happened at the manor. It isn't the naga or the swim in starlight or painting that will haunt Feyre and change her character - it's everything that happened under the mountain.

There was that scene at the end of the second trial where Rhysand's voice literally the thing that kept her from sobbing or breaking. Then later, she admits he kept her from shattering completely.

I think Tamlin was in a bad position because he had to keep distance between them, but at the manor she didn't NEED him. Not really. She was safely locked in a bubble to some degree. Whereas under the mountain, she's entered the lion's den. She now does need someone in every sense. She needed actual help with the second task, which Rhysand provided. She needed mental stability to walk out of the second task, which Rhysand provided. She needed a way out of Amarantha's tasks or else she would have been too exhausted to complete the trials, which Rhysand provided.

With Tamlin on lock down, Rhysand was able to be that person Feyre needed. And I think it will play a big impact on where these characters go from here.

Kayla Heston I honestly was wondering myself why Rhysand acted the way he did, and I'm usually the one who catches all of those subtleties! But after seeing others commenting on it, and going back over it in my head, I can definitely see the theory.

Those who hope this doesn't turn into a story with a love triangle might as well give up on that notion-what happens between Feyre and Rhys under the mountain pretty much sets up the groundwork for one to happen in the sequel. While some people are over love triangles, I definitely am not, as long as they are done right of course.

I also like the theory that Feyre may possibly be pregnant. It is a rare thing for high Fae, and could definitely be shocking to Rhys. I can also see where people are coming from about the possibility of him being attacked. However, while I am not ruling the other two out, I find the whole "mate" theory the best one of the three. I feel as though Tamlin should have discovered the pregnancy when he was with her, unless he impregnated her that night...unlikely to me that Rhys would be able to sense that so quickly if so, and he doesn't seem to be the type to "stumble" because he discovers a women pregnant. Also, I don't see how a baby would have survived the brutal beating that Feyre received before being revived...part Fae child or otherwise. It is a story however, so anything could be possible. Who knows?

All I do know, is that I do not know how I'm going to survive waiting so long for the next book to come out! It will definitely be pre-ordered within the next month or so.

message 38: by Andrea (last edited Dec 06, 2015 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea Frieden Katrina wrote: "But he's such a dick. Like I mean yeah sure he saves her, but he also volates her thoughts, mortifies her, threatens her, Lucien and Tamlin, would happily kill her whole family, drugs her against h..."

Doesn't matter what he did. I think that is the point. You don't always get to pick your mate, which is why Rhysand stumbled in sunrise I think.

As for the nostril flair, that is a body language signal for attraction. My theory is that as Rhys began to fade into the shadows he saw himself through her eyes. Much like she saw herself through HIS eyes before she was made high fae. I think THAT is the beginning of the mating bond mentioned in the beginning of the book.

Regardless, their is clearly some kind of soul-bond already going on PRIOR to her turning fae, which has nothing to do with the tattoo that links her PHYSICAL body to him. She died when her spine cracked. She left her mortal body and yet her soul still automatically linked and bonded to Rhysand. Sounds like a soul-bond, aka mate to me.

P.s. it is also mentioned early on that the mating-bond runs deeper than marriage. Its a bond with the soul. Your equal in every way. Its just a theory though!

Alani Pierre Hannah wrote: "SPOILERS!! CLICK AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THIS BOOK...

Hannah wrote: "SPOILERS!! CLICK AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THIS BOOK...

You are so right because the curse said a HUMAN and now the Feyre is a Fae she might have a bond with Rhys

message 40: by Kyla (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyla Harris YES! I WANT THIS STORYLINE TO HAPPEN! I totally didn't look at it that way but it makes sense and I'm routing for Rhys anyways... so please?

message 41: by Musicgurl8192 (last edited Dec 17, 2015 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Musicgurl8192 Feyre saw through Rhysands eyes before she became a Fae, and I doubt that it was because of the tattoo, if it were, it would have to be strong to follow after death, wouldn't it? Does that mean that Humans and Faes can be mates? But then again, assuming Rhysands reaction at the end was because he find out they were mates, why didn't he found out earlier?

message 42: by Suky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suky Rasgo Somehow, I felt like during the process after Rhysands made a deal with Feyre . . ., he actually started to like Feyre but he couldn't say anything cause he also want to break the curse as well. Also, he felt like he doesn't have a chance with her because Feyre's true love is with Tamlin. But now that Feyre is a high Fae, everything might change in the 2nd book and I hope that happened!

Bonner okay, somehow someway in the next book you know Tamlin and Fayre can't be together. something has to go wrong or change....it's just how it's gotta be.

Bonner Musicgurl8192 wrote: "Feyre saw through Rhysands eyes before she became a Fae, and I doubt that it was because of the tattoo, if it were, it would have to be strong to follow after death, wouldn't it? Does that mean tha..."

Well, she was still human earlier....maybe when she turned Fae her body changed and now Rhysand senses something? I don't know ....but a love triangle would be nice....maybe throw Nesta in there too, she's tough, and could be a good mate for Rhysand.

Zakiya Ahmed Sanja wrote: "Me too! I feel like a lunatic! I pick another book today just so I can get over 'A Court of Thorns and Roses', and while I was 'reading' I acctualy found myself thinking about Rhys...
I love when ..."

OMG SAME! I just finished the book yesterday tho and it would be so good if this theory was true! Rhysand rules! :D

message 46: by Suky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suky Rasgo We just need to wait for the 2nd book. FEW MONTHS LEFT!!!!!

message 47: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani Reyes BUT GUYS IF RHYS BECOMES HER MATE THEN WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE FIRST BOOK? Like I feel then that the first book was for nothing because supposedly it main point is tamlin and feyre so then everything that happened in the first book is pointless so I don't think this is what going to happened. Also I saw that someone thought that maybe he sense that she was pregnant but what about if he somehow sense that her baby is going to be his mate? Long shot right? But it got me thinking...

Kristin Ciullo We've discussed this in another thread. Looking at the timeline of the trials, Feyre was under the mountain for three months and it was even longer before that when she slept with Tamlin last. She would have shown symptoms of pregnancy during the trials. Even if it was conceived the day after the third trial, I highly doubt he would have been able to tell before even Feyre could. The synopsis from the second book makes it quite clear that Feyre and Rhys have chemistry going on between them. In my opinion, the first book was never really about Tamlin and Feyre. The reason that Feyre went back and went through the trials was so that she could free the fey. All of them. It was the reason Tamlin brought her to Prythian in the first place.

getteraa Dani wrote: "BUT GUYS IF RHYS BECOMES HER MATE THEN WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE FIRST BOOK? Like I feel then that the first book was for nothing because supposedly it main point is tamlin and feyre so then everyt..."

I`m sorry but I think you`re a bit delusional. If you think Feyre did everything because of Tamlin and their "love" then I dont think you really understood the book- not even 50% of it.
And Im not even going to comment her being preggers and the mate thing /major facepalm

message 50: by Nella (new)

Nella de Villa I've read this book at least 15 times. I am a women possessed.
I definitely vote for the mate theory. When Rhysand summoned her at the end, she speaks of "something tugging at my middle, a thread deep inside" that makes me believe that their bond is far deeper than a mere deal. It is at her middle, thus her core and a mating bond is the strongest bond there is, that's why it comes from her core.
He came to say goodbye, but even she admits that Tamlin isn't going to whisk her away forever. People, she spends a week EVERY month of her LIFE with Rhysand, how is something not going to happen?
It's obvious that he already likes her in the first place, he shared his most personal secrets with her. He showed his most vulnerable side to her. He mentions that he wouldn't want her to fight alone, or die alone and if you ask me there's still a lot of that to come with the King of Hybern on the horizon. They have to stick together to last the second book. Her sole is his sole and his sole is hers. She mentions that the shadows in his eyes will forever be in hers. It is also clear that he has lost a lot (he mentions that everything he loves has always been taken away from him) he thus needs someone with a heart (human heart who cares).
I think that he knows that she's his mate, but he won't tell her, because he thinks he isn't good enough for her. He believes that nothing good is to come if she loves him (because everything he loves always had a tendency to be taken away from him) he doesn't want her to get hurt and will then obviously not tell her about the mate thing. He will also wait a while before taking him to his court, because he is scare of the 'mate' thing, but eventually he'll collect her to train her to fight. (King of Hybern is coming) He wants to protect her, that's why he'll train her to fight.
That is my theories, but she'll realize that that thread deep inside is pulling her away from Tamlin and towards Rhysand.
I also feel like Fayre and Tamlin's love is fake. If it wasn't for the curse, Tamlin would never have bothered to get to know her. It was all a set up and then he fell into his own trap. Rhysand on the other hand didn't set his love for Fayre up. No, that just happened and that is how true love should be made, not by some stupid curse. Rhysand needs someone stubborn to warm his cold heart.

« previous 1