Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > A call to Smashwords published authors to support dyslexic readers.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe (jterzieva) Your post has great advice. My wife is dyslexic, so this is an issue that I give extra attention.

message 2: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Hmmm...not something which had occurred to me. Before I go throught the motions of this, do you reckon adult romances would be worth converting?

message 3: by Anthony Deeney (last edited May 08, 2015 05:02AM) (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments I am a (self-diagnosed) dyslexic author (mild).

As a teacher of Physics, I have taught a few VERY intelligent, articulate and well mannered students that, to be blunt, expresseed themselves in writing that looked sub-literate. It is heartbreaking. It is great that these days it is usually identified and dealt with in education.

I welcome your advice and would seek to incorporate them into my ebook. However the page count, cost and 'feel' of printed book would be effected.

A workaround is simple - publish a dyslexic friendly edition!

I also think that ebooks should have a personalised 'dyslexic friendly' mode. It should be easy to program.

message 4: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Kendall (luke_kendall) Would this be applicable to Kindle ebooks, too?

message 5: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) No, Kindle ebooks don't allow non-standard fonts.

message 6: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Luke wrote: "Would this be applicable to Kindle ebooks, too?"

I don't think that this IS available, but it is clear to me, from the article linked, that it would help some dyslexic.

message 7: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Linder (haydendlinder) | 85 comments Hey Rob, I'm at work now but when I get home I wouldn't mind testing out the conversion for my Kindle Fire. I'll post back what results I get.