Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > Book 3 of the Stephen King Challenge -The Shining

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1524 comments Mod
We'll be reading this one from May 15 - June 15. Who's in?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (powelljf3) | 18 comments Hmmm, book three, it has been a long quarter at my jobs... I'm always in for the Shining!

message 3: by Kenneth (new)

Welcome aboard, Jim. We're reading one book a month in the order that they were published. We have people that are joining in for only specific books. Some have been here from the start, while even others are jumping in along the way. This is a fun challenge that I've always wanted to do and it's great to find that I'm not alone in that thinking. So pick your poison on how much you want to participate. We'd love to have you and your input along for the ride.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sandberg (lisasandberg) | 168 comments I'm in, as always. :-)

message 5: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Lurking

message 6: by Hoff (new)

Hoff The Librarian (hoffthelibrarian) | 20 comments I feel like I'm often late to these parties, starting and finishing these group reads long after they're relevant, but I've been itching to re-open the Shining. I haven't read this since the LA riots, so I guess in a morbid way, the Baltimore riots have made me nostalgic.

Jen (LOHF/Book Den)  (delphyne) | 69 comments I'll join in! The Shining is one of my all time favorites. I'm long overdue for a reread.

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Ready, set, go! Looking forward to rereading this one!

message 9: by Kenneth (new)

Chapters 1 & 2 - King really does a wonderful job introducing the characters here. I've always thought that his early works had great depth in the characters compared to most other authors.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments on the subject of the Shining, I just watched Room 227 a documentary on theories about Kubrick's hidden meanings in the movie.

message 11: by Kenneth (new)

I think the film was great if you don't compare it to the book. To the King purists, it's blasphemy because it deviates so much from the story and tone.

message 12: by Kenneth (new)

I do too. That's one of my favorite King stories and I'm hoping they don't botch it. The TV version had its moments. Tim Curry was excellent as Pennywise. But, it was a PG rated telling of the story so they could put it on ABC in 1990. I'm hoping that this version will have all the teeth that the story had and that it's a faithful adaptation with a good cast.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments @ Ashley couldn't agree with you more. Some of the theories were a total hoot.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Ashley wrote: "I read not to long ago and did enjoy but I actually think I preferred the film which is weird normally the films don't compare but this is opne of the few exceptions did anyone else prefer the film..."

I prefer the Kubrick film myself as the best form for The Shining. Art. Still a good book though.

message 15: by Kenneth (new)

Through Chaper 8 - I love how Jack and Wendy are real people with real flaws. Jack, the alcoholic with an anger problem, yet he seems to be a good guy that loves and cares about his family. Wendy, tired of watching her marriage being drank to death by her husband and after seeing her son hurt from it, has to decide when enough is enough. These are real life problems. I think that's what is making the storytelling so effective. We can relate to this family.

message 16: by Myst (new)

Myst | 400 comments It's June 16, what's the next SK book on the list?

According to wikipedia I *think* it would either be Rage (Richard Bachman) or The Stand?