Writers and Readers discussion

Matthew Drzymala
This topic is about Matthew Drzymala
Author Profiles > Matthew Drzymala Author Thread - Starting YOUR own writing group

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 20 comments Today I am happy to officially announce future plans in my Bumpkinton Tales series. Although I have mentioned it as a possibility in the past the next Bumpkinton story, The Fantastical Gregory Shortbread, will officially be a novel and will be released in both Book and paperback forms. It is currently in the process of being written and is some way off yet. I’ve yet to finish the first draft and already know it’s going to need a fair bit of work when I do get to the end of draft 1.

I can also announce that all my previous Bumpkinton stories will be released in paperback for the first time in The Bumpkinton Tales: Volume I. This collection will not include The Fantastical Gregory Shortbread due to it being a novel in its own right. The collection will however include a previously unreleased bonus short story inspired by last years competition winner, Pat Allen.

I am yet to decide whether both paperbacks will be released simultaneously or if they will be released separately. This will depend on a number of factors, but I’ll make an announcement nearer the time.

I have no talent for design whatsoever and today I am launching a competition for all those budding artists and creative types out there. I am looking for somebody to design a logo and a coat of arms for my Bumpkinton Tales. You can either design just the logo, just a coat of arms or you can design both. They can be colourful or in black and white, whatever you want it to be. Unfortunately I cannot afford to pay but the winner/s will receive lots of free stuff.

What stuff can you win then?

Well, the winner/s will receive signed copies of The Bumpkinton Tales: Volume I and The Fantastical Gregory Shortbread as well as a number of Bumpkinton products with their logo and coat of arms on it, including pens, advertising cards plus other little bits and pieces that I’ll decide upon a little nearer the time. Their names shall also appear in Acknowledgment pages in all of my stories. A full list of prizes will appear when the winner/s are chosen.

So, how do you get involved?

Well, if you’d like to get involved just drop me a private message on my Facebook page, which can be found at: www.facebook.com/mattdrzymalaauthor

Don’t have Facebook? Then just go to ‘Contact‘ at the top of this website and send me a message and I will send you a private email to send your entries to.

If you haven’t read my Bumpkinton stories, here’s a quick flavour. They are silly, humorous stories set in a strange village with a band of quirky, colourful characters who rarely get on.

The winning entries will be chosen by my partner, Elaine, to filter out any bias towards any friends who may enter. The closing date for entries is: Tuesday 31st June 2015, this is so I can start incorporating the logo and coat of arms onto my cover designs which will start well in advance of release. Do not worry about getting your entries perfect for the closing date. I am happy to accept sketches with the final product, if it wins, to be completed within a time period after closing that will be decided upon by myself and the winner/s.

Good luck to everybody who wants to have a punt.

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 20 comments I recently released my new book, The Bumpkinton Tales: Volume One in paperback and on Kindle.

I'm running a competition for readers to win lots and lots of free prizes. All you need to do is send me a picture of you reading my book The Bumpkinton Tales: Volume One in either paperback or on Kindle and you could win free Bumpkinton prizes.

The competition closes on 30th June 2016 and there will then be a public vote looking for the best entry.

You can find out more on my website: https://matthewdrzymala.com/2016/05/1...

The Bumpkinton Tales: Volume One

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 20 comments My latest blog update is about meeting author of Millions, Frank Cottrell Boyce (also co-writer of the Olympics 2012 opening ceremony and Doctor Who episode In the Forest of the Night).

What a lovely man and I hope you enjoy reading about meeting him! :)

https://matthewdrzymala.com/

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 20 comments This evening I am doing my first ever radio interview. I will be on The Frank Carlyle Show on Mersey Radio at 20:15 GMT approx this evening (20th June 2016) talking about my book The Bumpkinton Tales: Volume One.

Don't worry if you're not on Merseyside, the show is available to stream online at: http://www.merseyradio.co.uk/

And there will be a You Tube link coming later in the week.

Nervous as hell!

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 20 comments Recently I was told I will be made redundant, a kick in the unmentionables for sure, but it gave me a boost too.

How did it give me a boost? Well, it gave me a reason to start looking into a career I may be better at and enjoy more.

So I enrolled on a copywritng course.

My blog delves into my progress so far as well as useful links for anybody who may be interested in giving it a go too.

http://matthewdrzymala.com/2016/10/07...

message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 20 comments I always wanted to join a writing group, but was far too nervous to make the leap.

Many seemed rather strict and others unwelcoming unless you write in perfect prose.

All in all it was a little bit disappointing.

However, one day my friend, Anna, told me to start my own with my rules.

It seemed ridiculous, but I did it.

That was September 2015, and its still going strong today!

Read more about it on my website, and if you're local and a writer, why not join us?

http://matthewdrzymala.com/2017/03/10...