Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Whites
This topic is about The Whites
Spoiler Talk on Books We've Read > spoiler talk The Whites to the end

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments I read The Whites, my first Richard Price/ writing as Harry Brandt, and found myself mesmerized by the gritty streets of New York as viewed by several NYC police detectives. I will post a few comments with the hope that someone else who reads the book or the author will have some thoughts as well.
I suppose I really need to read Clockers now.
Spoilers to the end
(view spoiler)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Ann, my copy of The Whites just came in, but I fear that I will have to return it unread when its due date comes. I'm only halfway through The Bone Tree, and I was planning on a Peter Robinson to calm things down. What do you think?

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Carol: The Whites won't be very calming after The Bone Tree. I don't think I would advise them to be read back to back! So many books so little time! Going to your "happy reading place" next would be better. :)

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Jul 10, 2015 11:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Ann wrote: "In hindsight this book causes deceptively deeper consideration upon reflection. ..."

Exactly what I wound up thinking at the conclusion of this book.

I found this a good follow-up to The Bone Tree, just because it was much shorter and a completely different locale.

I did have a little trouble following it on audio; between the cops, their relatives, the perps and the witnesses, there were so many characters introduced along the way that my head was spinning and I really didn't realize what was going on (dual viewpoints) until halfway through the book. I did manage to get a print copy from the library but never really used it to good effect because I didn't want to put the audio down, LOL.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments I found it fascinating to watch Billy and his wife's relationship over the course of the book. They each have gone through their own emotional crises (view spoiler)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments I have a close co-worker whose husband is a firefighter and comes from a long line of firefighters. A month or so ago her BIL, also a firefighter, died unexpectedly and at an early age of complications due to diabetes. The outpouring from the local firefighters was unbelievable -- they even brought in subs for the day of the funeral, for the entire city of 6 or so stations, so they could all attend the funeral.

I say all that to say that going through that plus reading this book made me long to be a part of the brotherhood of cops and firefighters, although I know there are elements of that life that would aggravate and frustrate me.

re: Billy and his colleagues: (view spoiler)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments regarding the incident in Billy's past: (view spoiler)

Boy, that is one convoluted run-on sentence, hope it's clear, I'm too tired to spend the time to untangle it, LOL!

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Carol:
I have been waiting until I had some free keyboard time to reply to your comments, they are very interesting points!
I also had a bit of a time getting settled into the audio book, the multiple characters were interesting and a bit overwhelming so that I was not quite grasping what each cop's experience was going to mean in the big picture at first. That along with the gritty style took some getting used to. A print copy would have been helpful while listening.

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments The brotherhood of Firefighters and Police Officers is admirable and to know you can count on such a good group of people to have your back must be of great comfort. It takes a special person to make those sacrifices for sure.
Re your Billy and his colleagues spoiler (view spoiler) now for mine, that was a run-on sentence!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I have a close co-worker whose husband is a firefighter and comes from a long line of firefighters. A month or so ago her BIL, also a firefighter, died unexpectedly and at an early age of complica..."

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Carol:
Re the incident in Billy's past ... (view spoiler)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "regarding the incident in Billy's past: [spoilers removed]
Boy, that is one convoluted run-on sentence, hope it's clear, I'm too tired to spend the time to untangle it, LOL!"

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments I definitely want to read more of Richard Price's writing - anyone have a suggestion for a next book after this first exposure? I have tentatively lined up Clockers but there doesn't seem to be an audio version.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Hi Ann,

Clockers for sure. I've also enjoyed Lush Life. A glimpse at his wikipedia page is fascinating (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...). I didn't realize he wrote the book The Wanderers, upon which the film is based, or that he wrote several screenplays, including the 2000 sequel to Shaft! Shut yo' mouth!

message 13: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments I found Clockers on Kindle Unlimited so will squeeze it in between library loans..still wish there was an audio. :)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Ann wrote: "I found Clockers on Kindle Unlimited so will squeeze it in between library loans..still wish there was an audio. :)"

Yeah, I bet. That's odd that there isn't one.