Start by marking “The Whites” as Want to Read:
The Whites

The Whites

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  8,385 Ratings  ·  1,189 Reviews
The electrifying tale of a New York City police detective under siege-by an unsolved murder, by his own dark past, and by a violent stalker seeking revenge.

Back in the run-and-gun days of the mid-1990s, when a young Billy Graves worked in the South Bronx as part of an aggressive anti-crime unit known as the Wild Geese, he made headlines by accidentally shooting a ten-year-
Published February 17th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published February 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Whites, please sign up.
Carson Mincemoyer I think that Dominic West would play an excellent Billy Graves. As for Milton Ramos, I think that Jon Bernthal would be a good choice.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Salome G
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Paul Bryant
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This being Richard Price, whatever it says on the cover – we’ll get to that in a moment – I thought I’d better keep a note of the characters just to try to get them straight in my mind, I knew there’d be a whole phalanx of them, detectives, perps, victims, family members, ex-family members, ex-detectives, witnesses, slingers, dog walkers, sex workers, hopheads – so here’s the list I made

Billy Graves
Theodore Moretti
Eddie
James Thane
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For whatever reason, the acclaimed novelist Richard Price, author of Clockers and Lush Life, among other books, decided to write this novel as "Harry Brandt." He must have changed his mind in mid-stream, however, because the fiction of the pen name didn't even last until the pub date and, in consequence, both names appear on the cover.

Whatever the case, The Whites is among the absolute best crime novels of the year. The main protagonist is a middle-aged New York City detective named Billy Graves
Richard
Years ago, I was blown away by the urban crime epic Clockers and I swore to read everything that author Richard Price had ever written. I got caught up in discovering new authors and (other than reading Samaritan and enjoying it) I've sadly been neglecting his work. I'm kicking myself now because this latest book, The Whites, is wonderful. He wrote it as Harry Brandt, a sort-of-pseudonym that he reportedly used because he wanted to write a more straight-up short cop thriller than Price normally ...more
Trish
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Richard Price is something of a wonder. Word on the avenue is that he wrote this under the pseudonym Harry Brandt hoping a popular pot-boiler would bring in some fast cash while he could keep his street cred as a literatteur. It is kind of laughable when you see what he did with the form. His characters have motivations so deep we can cut loose our therapists, the plotting is so intense and detailed I needed a name map, and his language is so fly I learned on the job. Nah, this is like no pot-bo ...more
PattyMacDotComma
The best. World-weary, damaged cops, despicable criminals, innocent children. And everything we need to know to fill in the gaps and connect the dots that string them all tightly together.

Brandt (Price) is sparing with his language. Nothing unnecessary, just what we need to know. Incidentally, not all questions have question marks, and I never missed them.

A co-worker:

“There was a light rapping at the front door; then Alice Stupak, five-four but built like a bus, eased into the apartment, her
Carol
Mar 09, 2016 added it
Top Notch Entertainment
The Hook My GR friend Trish’s recommendation with her review of The Whites. Read her review and just try not to add this book to your TBR pile. Bet you can’t resist.
Trish’s Review

The Line “Hey,” Pavlicek held on, “what’s the most bullshit word in the English language.” “Closure.” “Give that man a cigar,” Pavlicek said, then hung up.”

The Sinker – After reading Trish’s review I knew I was in, hook, line and sinker. So much so that now I’m a bit reluctant to write this revie
Carolyn
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is an excellent novel; gritty plot, colourful characters, sharp dialogue! Harry Brandt (aka Richard Price) spins an excellent tale of five detectives, four now retired or in other careers, who formed a tight brotherhood in the Bronx during the 1990s, doing old fashioned good police work. Each of them is still haunted by a 'white', someone they were unable to put away for a dreadful crime. Billy Graves is the only one of the original pack still in the police, working the night shift in Manha ...more
Kathleen (QueenKatieMae)
While I have never read anything by Richard Price, AKA Harry Brandt for this book, his reputation certainly precedes him and this latest novel, The Whites, has definitely made me a fan wanting to read more of his work. Although this police procedural could be a quick read for the story alone, I took my time enjoying his writing style, the essence of his characters, and his way of building a plot brick by captivating brick. It is one of the best books of this genre I have read in a long time.

In t
Liz
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. So well written, characters fully fleshed out. Someone else called this a gritty, realistic book and that's a spot on description. Really sorry to see this one end.
Dave
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-borrowed
Powerful. Gripping. Emotional. Haunting. What a great introduction to Price's writing. The Whites follows the stories of a handful of police detectives haunted by the perpetrator who got away with it - the evidence wasn't there for a courtroom but they know this is the guy. They can feel it in their bones, hear it in their nightmares. That's the great white fish that got away.

This is the story of men and women haunted by their pasts, by things they did, or failed to do. It is the story of peopl
Stefanie
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Rating 4 Stars
Although I have read a great number of police procedurals in the past and stories that feature detectives as their main characters, this book was still different from anything I have read before.

I was not influences by the prior work of the author, as I have not read any of Richard Price's well known novels yet. But I now have no doubt what has drew readers to his work over the years.

Although the book lacked the "Boom!" of the big reveal to me and wasn't fill with many "Aha" momen
Ross Cumming
Firstly I've got to point out that I'm a big fan of Richard Price's previous novels and was really looking forward to reading 'The Whites', which he has written under the pen name 'Harry Brandt' for whatever reason, I'm not sure.
The novel tells the story of Billy Graves, an NYPD Detective working the Manhattan Night Watch, which is basically a team of detectives who handle all the serious crime that happens throughout the night until their respective Precinct Detectives come on duty the followi
Melissa
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ah-deadly
Well, here's the best crime novel I'm going to read this year.

"It was turning out to be another nothing of a tour, the only job so far a four a.m. outdoor scene in the West Village, where a home owner had been shot by his lawn mower while cutting the backyard . . . By the time Billy and Stupak made it to the scene - shots fires was shots fired- Emergency Services was already combing the yard for stray ordnance and some joker had handcuffed the high-end mower to a lamppost."

I read this page at l
Lynx
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime, kindle
New York City is my favourite place in the world. Every time I miss it but am unable to visit I always pick up a book I hope will put me back on those streets. Richard Price never fails to take me there. As usual Price demands your attention packing this full of layered characters and gripping storylines.

Also recommend watching The Night Of, Price's latest collaboration with HBO. No one does NYC crime mysteries like he does.
Michael Robotham
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All of Richard Price's skills are on show in this brilliant crime novel. His sense of place, cracking dialogue and colourful characterisation. If you enjoyed THE WIRE, you'll love this story of revenge, redemption and the scars that never go away.
jo
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
the main reason why i read richard price is the language. it electrifies me.

One forty-five A.M.... The sound of tires rolling over a side street full of shattered light bulbs was like the sound of Jiffy Pop achieving climax, the aftermath of a set test between the Skrilla Hlll Killaz from the Coolidge Houses and the Stack Money Goons from the Madisons, four kids sent to St. Luke's for stitches, one with a glass shard protruding from his cornea like a miniature sail. Where they got all the light
Matt
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Brandt lures readers with his raw style and no-holds barred approach to life as a member of the NYPD. Billy Graves has been on he job for a number of years, following in his father's footsteps. Early in his career, the younger Graves befriends number of young cops looking to make a difference and seeking justice on the rough and tumble streets. They refer to themselves as the Wild Geese and become as close to Graves as his actual family. Over the years, the Wild Geese spoke of the 'Whites', thos ...more
Minty McBunny
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, march-2015
I heard the author on NPR and thought it sounded like my kind of book.

I was wrong.

I can not believe this book is less than 400 pages long. It felt endless. The basic plot is solid, but holy needs an editor, Batman. It took the story ages to get started and then even longer to get where it was going. The pacing was just incredibly slow and it caused my interest in the story to wane more and more as a pretty straightforward tale dragged toward a somewhat anticlimactic ending.
Sketchbook
Feb 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Down the same NYC-area mean streets w Richard Price/Harry Brandt where the debris is heavy plotting and subplots. He always writes of what he thinks he knows, which is now a problem. Passed to me by a chum, I found it overwritten like a script treatment for a movie I will skip. He often gets critical nods, but, too often, he's a nod-off.
Joseph Hirsch
Mar 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
"Clockers" by Richard Price, is one of the ten best books I've ever read in my life. It is Dostoevskian in its depth, a remarkable urban drama made all the more remarkable by the fact that Price, a white man, was able to so authentically render the lives of young, black drug dealers in a way that seemed entirely believable. I also enjoy the author's earlier, rawer books that show the seamy lives of lower-class "ethnics" surviving and fighting in the Five Burroughs, a la Hubert Selby or Sol Yuric ...more
Snotchocheez
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This will probably satisfy Harry Brandt Richard Price fans jonesing for a double shot of his brand of gritty crime verité. Does he cover new ground here, though? Not particularly. I felt like I read versions this NYPD cop-centric yarn in several other Price-penned forms, most better than this. Lots of hand wringing presaging blustery moralizing to do the right thing that ultimately doesn't amount to much.

(And why oh why do authors feel compelled to use pseudonyms midway through an established
Jessica Woodbury
There is just nothing like a Richard Price novel. There's nothing like the worn out characters, the rhythm of real dialogue, the point when reading it where you know that this isn't going to end well for anyone. His books are so artfully done that if he wasn't labeled as a genre author he'd be celebrated as a genius.

The Whites is not a departure at all, rather it's one of his best. Not quite as grand in scale as LUSH LIFE, but as good a depiction of a cop's day-to-day life as Price has ever don
Gatorman
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book from Richard Price (writing as Harry Brandt) about the former members of a police unit known as the "Wild Geese" and their never-ending battle to deal with their "whites", the criminals who got away with a serious crime on their watch. This story is taut, tough and true, bringing vivid characters to life and exploring the bonds between cops who have more secrets than you can shake a stick at. I've read reviews complaining about wordy sentences and too many characters. Don't see it ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
Milton Ramos and Billy Graves are heading for an epic confrontation. Both are 20-year police detectives with family problems, and both are in the middle of a moral crisis.

Bad guys from the detectives' pasts, who the detectives feel should have been killed or imprisoned for life, are haunting them. The legal system that both policemen work with let these terrible people go free. Unfortunately for the cops, each of these particular cases are the one case each man has not been able to forget ever
Megan
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
A gritty, intense book by one of the writers on the BEST TV SHOW EVER (The Wire = duh). An amazing book that is as hard to put down as it is difficult to read. This is a picture of urban crime that hones into the seedy core - forget the sanitized "bad guys get it in the end" routine we're so used to. This is intense, layered, and conflicted throughout. I can't wait to read more.
Mal Warwick
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
“They all reminded me of Ahab . . . looking for their whales” — the “Whites” of the title in Richard Price’s disturbing new novel about NYPD cops out of control.

The Wild Geese are a tightly knit cluster of five dedicated New York police officers, each one with his (or her) own White — a felon “who had committed criminal obscenities on their watch and then walked away untouched by justice.” Billy Graves is the only one of the White Geese still on the job. Because his diligence and intensity have
Michael
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, 2015, crime
In the mid-90s, Billy Graves worked in the South Bronx as part of a special anti-crime unit. He made headlines when he accidently shot a ten year old boy, emotionally scarring Billy and damaging his career. Eighteen years later, Billy has finally become a sergeant in Manhattan Night Watch. The Whites follows the life as Billy Graves as he gets a 4:00 am slashing of a man at Penn Station. However The Whites is much more than a police procedural, rather it covers the life of the people in working ...more
Sharon Sample
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A literary police procedural that focuses on old, unresolved cases of a group of NYC police. Billy Graves, a NYC detective, works the night shift and is haunted by an unresolved case. He is friends with a group of former and current cops who also have unresolved cases. The cops all know the individuals who committed these crimes, but were unable to arrest them and get the perpetrators convicted. Then one by one the criminals are killed. Who is doing the killing? Billy thinks it may be his friend ...more
James
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, fiction
Richard Price is my favorite crime author writing today. His books consistently hit the all too rare sweet spot between excellent writing with characters who haven't drunkenly stumbled out a bad soap opera, and a nice gory thrilling murder spree. The whites follows a middle manager of the NYPD midnight to 5 am shift as his former units moby dicks get bumped off and things go awry for his family. If you enjoy a thriller, I cannot recommend this book more highly perfect for airplanes, naps, and al ...more
Bailey
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't know if I think this was one of the best books of last year, but for literary crime fiction, I enjoyed it a lot. The characters and plot reminded me a lot of Tana French's Broken Harbor, though in NYC and a lot more "hard-boiled", or something. This has a complex plot, with emotional twists, and a pretty solid resolution.
Play Book Tag: The Whites - Harry Brandt 3/5 2 12 May 21, 2018 09:40AM
Tournament of Books: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Whites, by Richard Price 19 121 Feb 09, 2016 02:50PM
The Rooster!: TOB16 Title - Price's The Whites 15 56 Jan 29, 2016 12:04PM
Mystery/Thriller ...: spoiler talk The Whites to the end 14 30 Jul 22, 2015 10:24PM
  • The Double
  • Where It Hurts (Gus Murphy, #1)
  • And Sometimes I Wonder About You
  • Clockers
  • Gun Street Girl (Detective Sean Duffy #4)
  • Beams Falling
  • The Lady from Zagreb (Bernard Gunther, #10)
  • All the Old Knives
  • Crucifixion Creek (The Belltree Trilogy, #1)
  • The Blue Hammer
  • Godchild (Jack Marconi #2)
  • Dragonfish
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • The Rage
  • The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)
  • Resurrection Bay (Caleb Zelic, #1)
  • GBH
  • The Second Life of Nick Mason (Nick Mason, #1)
Harry Brandt is the pen name of acclaimed novelist Richard Price, whose eight previous novels—including Clockers and Lush Life—have won universal praise for their vividly etched portrayals of urban America. He lives in Manhattan with his wife, the novelist Lorraine Adams.
More about Harry Brandt

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“Castro inhaled again, blew out enough smoke to announce a pope.” 6 likes
“His wife would never admit it to him, but Billy’s guess was that interns killed patients all the time, and their supervisors, with an eye for the long-term healer to come, mainly looked the other way. Well, it was the same with him. In order to get the greater job done, to mold your people as you saw fit and prepare them to effectively do the job in the years to come, you tolerated error, you turned a not-quite-blind eye to the actions of others and to your own actions. You created secrets and you kept secrets. Out on the streets, same thing: depending on the individual and the situation, sometimes you threw the Thor hammer at a misdemeanor, other times you let an individual walk who had no right to sleep in his own bed that night. You did all these things and more because as a boss, if you weren’t willing to play fast and loose when required, if you weren’t willing to make a discreet hash of the rule book now and then, on this job you might as well call in sick. That’s just the way it was. *” 3 likes