Nairobi 1st Thurs book club discussion

can we read books that have a story line and not necessarily motivational books?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 7 comments i am more of a story line reader, something that you can follow yet, when i log in the books i find in discussion mostly are motivational business or health books? for real i cant even get past 3 pages of a book based on giving me advice on what to do with my life...

message 2: by Onyango (new)

Onyango Makagutu (makagutu) | 36 comments Mod
who are these who read motivational books?

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 7 comments just check all the book we are supposed to discuss in this group aki....

message 4: by Onyango (new)

that is just sad. Or maybe worse than sad

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 7 comments Onyango wrote: "that is just sad. Or maybe worse than sad"

quick quiz... what book are you currently reading.. or what is your type of a good book

message 6: by Em (new)

Em Rain (emrain) | 8 comments Mod
Jackie - go to 'bookshelf' and looks at the books there - they are all fiction books, most with great story lines

message 7: by Onyango (new)

Jackie,
Currently I am reading Religion and Sex by Cohen Chapman.
I read mostly philosophy. When I read novels, they are mostly philosophical. For example, among the novels you will find A tale of two cities, Anna Karenina, Thinks, Brothers Karamazov.

I read a bit of fiction too.

And as Em has said, if you click on my name, you will see books currently reading and those I have read.

message 8: by A J (new)

A J West (ajweston) | 6 comments Hello guys. I am a Kenyan with 3 books on Amazon. One is a motivational book and one is a thriller. But I would have to warn you that the thriller is semi-scary! Great to meet you all, will have fun here [I hope!]

message 9: by A J (new)

A J West (ajweston) | 6 comments Question....am I allowed to add my book into the bookshelf?

message 10: by Onyango (new)

What are the titles of your books Joe?
Are they in local stores.
You can add anything to the bookshelf, it is a free world right here

message 11: by Oliver (new)

Oliver Vugusu (olivervugusu) | 1 comments My thoughts;
•Stories always sell..Most of best selling nonfiction books use story telling to keep readers to the last chapter. try reading Malcolm Gladwel, Seth Godin or Dan Pink (my favorite writers)-you'll be amazed by nonfiction
•The key to finishing a book is actually starting to read one! determine topics that interest you the most and find best titles on the subject and pass through readers' review on Goodreads and you'll have the motivation to start a book
•I'm a 'night owl' so I read my books late into the night. Get the best eBook reader-I prefer ebooks to paperback (best eBook reader apps-Aldiko, Kindle,Moon+ reader). the quiet of the night and phone/tablet light is an intriguing readership.
good reading..

message 12: by A J (new)

A J West (ajweston) | 6 comments Onyango wrote: "What are the titles of your books Joe?
Are they in local stores.
You can add anything to the bookshelf, it is a free world right here"
Hi Onyango, my books are Camping Terror [not doing so bad], 90 REASONS WHY PEOPLE FAIL [also okay] but the children's book has not sold anything! 90 Reasons will soon be available in print locally but not yet. Kenya still seems to be some miles away from embracing ebooks.

message 13: by A J (last edited Jun 01, 2015 04:09AM) (new)

A J West (ajweston) | 6 comments I'm so new here, don't even know how to add to the bookshelf! http://www.amazon.com/CAMPING-TERROR-...

message 15: by A J (last edited Jun 01, 2015 04:17AM) (new)

A J West (ajweston) | 6 comments Printing of books will have to remain the main option for local books until people realize how convenient it is to buy a kindle ebook or any ebook in 5 seconds with 1 click and to read using a free ebook reader. Much easier than going all the way to the bookshop to search manually. But glad to meet fellow book-lovers.

message 16: by Onyango (new)

Joe most of books are ebooks. Very convenient
I will check your books out

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam Kariuki | 2 comments Beginning Monday 16/11/2015 to Wednesday 18/11/2015 my book The Guy Who Fired His Boss (ebook) will be free on Amazon

http://amzn.to/1lk7kFE

The book provides a insights of the struggles, pains and victories of an entrepreneur who quits employment to set up his business. He suffers many loses but as a consequence he learns important lessons on how to turn a simple ideas into thriving business.

As you read this business novel you will discover a simple process you can follow as you build your business saving you a lot of heartaches and losses - emotionally, financially and time.

Your ratings and reviews will be highly appreciated.

message 18: by Victor (new)

Victor Muthoka (hundredpercent) | 1 comments I imagine storylines are better than motivational books? Not that the latter isn't necessary, but you can't feed off of it for long.

message 19: by Chiedo (new)

Chiedo | 2 comments New member: when is the last time members met. i would like to participate.

message 20: by Evans (last edited Feb 22, 2016 06:41AM) (new)

Evans Chumo | 1 comments Does the book club have physical meetings? If so, how frequent are they, and when and where? I'm interested in meeting people that read, and would like to see the shape and form that reading takes in their lives. Thanks!

message 21: by Onyango (new)

Evans, I don't think this group meets physically or in some form for that matter. Maybe you could start one or call for a meeting some convenient place and see who turns up.

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 7 comments Gloria wrote: "What's everyone currently reading? :)"

cresswell falls by Kerry_Belchambers ...... she is a great kenyan writer seriously
you guys should try her

message 23: by Karanja (new)

Karanja | 2 comments The Quiet Violence of Dreams by K. Sello Duiker

message 24: by Onyango (new)

world as will and representation by Arthur Schopenhauer

message 25: by Eva (new)

Eva (evamuturi) | 11 comments Americanah by Ngozi Chimamanda

message 26: by James (new)

James Wahome (jwahome) Just read Wool Omnibus a post apocalyptic novel of immense proportions. It's well written and will grip you to the bone! Also read Sand by the same Author last year, an equally amazing read. What are you reading currently?

message 27: by Onyango (new)

The Decameron

Ivy - Hearts Books. (ivy-heartsbooks) | 4 comments Eva wrote: "Americanah by Ngozi Chimamanda"

Hi Eva; I would love to discuss Americanah.

Ivy - Hearts Books. (ivy-heartsbooks) | 4 comments Anyone wants to read The Goldfinch with me this August?

message 30: by Eva (new)

Eva (evamuturi) | 11 comments Ivy - Hearts Books wrote: "Eva wrote: "Americanah by Ngozi Chimamanda"

Hi Eva; I would love to discuss Americanah."

sure Ivy no problem