Start by marking “Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)

Wool Omnibus (Wool #1-5)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  73,332 ratings  ·  8,560 reviews
This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thank
Published January 25th 2012 by Broad Reach Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wool Omnibus, please sign up.

Bonnie Blue The thing is he doesn't really answer this directly and I asked myself this question, but I think it's all about control. It's much easier to control…moreThe thing is he doesn't really answer this directly and I asked myself this question, but I think it's all about control. It's much easier to control a population that can not see, speak to or congregate with too often except for special occasions. That's also why they charge for the emails (wires). To keep communication down and rumors, ideas and the like from spreading.

Don't know much you have read but Silo 1 has elevators...because they are Silo 1 (which I wont say anything more due to spoilers). I was pretty sure that originally there were elevators during the construction of the silos and during the outfitting of them, and I assumed that they were then closed up. I actually kept thinking that one of the silos was going to find the hidden closed up elevators. I wish someone would write that idea into one of the kindle worlds books that anyone can write. Maybe I will if no one else does it.....although I still have about 5 more kindle world books in my que to read, so someone may have thought of it. To me, finding that elevator shaft could really change the entire dynamic of a silo. (less)
Judy Walker I thought the world was interesting, but the book wasn't super compelling until 200 or so pages in. I was reading it at night before bed, and about…moreI thought the world was interesting, but the book wasn't super compelling until 200 or so pages in. I was reading it at night before bed, and about halfway through it definitely got harder to put down at chapter end. You may have stalled out just before things accelerated. I'd say if you got a few chapters past the place where the plot pivots (don't want to give anything away) and you still stalled out, it's not for you.(less)

Cass
There are two stupid things about this book, neither have to do with the writing. The writing is good, the story is original, I highly recommend this book.

Let's address the stupid things.
The name is stupid. It is like a garage band was after a clever name. There are no sheep in this book, there is no wool in this book. There is one tiny insignificant piece where a character is knitting but she isn't even using wool, she knits with cotton. Given the subtitles are all knitting related (unravel,
Nataliya
This is the review for the entire Wool pentalogy (my new favorite word, btw). Wool introduces us to a postapocalyptic world where survivors of whatever disaster that made the outside uninhabitable huddle underground in a giant "silo" that houses hundreds of people. As we can predict, the disaster was man-made (*). (view spoiler)
(*) "You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn
Carol.
Dec 04, 2013 Carol. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dystopia fans, revolutionaries, thoughtful fantasists
Forget Wool. This should have been called Forge.
description
Writing that's a power-punch to the gut. Direct, slow build of heat, singeing as it suddenly roars into flame. A world that feels solid, heavy, hard-edged, soldered with characters that are heated and molded into something new. This isn't knitting a scarf so much as forging a steel chain.

I absolutely love the character of Juliette, determined, essentially elemental, a person that rocks my character world. I love how all her metaphors are mechanical
Maciek
I don't get the hype.

If you'd judge a book by its rating on Goodreads and Amazon, you should consider Wool to be a science fiction miracle - the vast majority of Goodreaders gave it 5 stars, and on Amazon it currently holds an astonishing 3,740 five star reviews - with new ones appearing every day. Wool seems to be a prodigious child of a next Asimov or Heinlein, destined to last for decades and inspire generations of readers and writers.

What's even more interesting is that Wool began its life
Trudi

Outstanding!

WOOL began its life as a self-published short novella in July of 2011. That's hard to believe. I feel like I've been hearing about this thing for ages and ages.

So I'm late to the party, but not that late. Due to excited reader response over WOOL 1, author Hugh Howey quickly released the next four parts in the series. Then came along this Omnibus which collects Parts 1-5. There is now a 2013 edition with a great new cover that features a blurb by none other than Justin Cronin, author
Dan Schwent
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Good story, but OMG, did we REALLY need 500 pages to tell it?! So much of the "story" is just Juliette spending chapters getting into and out of clothes and airlocks, it was about ready to drive me nuts. Could be a superb story minus about 200 pages.

And because of that, it's doubtful I'll pursue the rest of the series. There's a good internet saying for this:

tl;dr

Too long; didn't read

Sums up how I feel pretty well.

Full Review:

It is some unspecified time in the future; people live i
Gary
Veronica Belmont
Some books take a while to dig into. The first few chapters set up the story, introduce you to the main characters and build a framework for the tale to come.

Wool sets up the story too, but in a heartbreaking and gripping way that has you consuming the book as quickly as possible, if only to learn the answer to: "that's not really about to happen, is it?"

There are moments in Wool when I wondered if maybe the book was too dark. I mourned for characters and didn't know how they would possibly get
Kemper
A bunch of people live in an underground community and those who break the rules are cruelly expelled to their doom? Reality TV producers have to be kicking themselves for not coming up with this idea themselves.

At an undetermined time in the future, the people of the Silo have lived for generations with only a few dusty camera views to show them the world above ground. After the sheriff steps down from his post in rather dramatic fashion, the mayor and a deputy determine that a mechanic named J
Arah-Lynda
Apr 08, 2014 Arah-Lynda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arah-Lynda by: Arah-Leah Hay
Shelves: top, i-said
Hugh Howey paints a world, or what is left of one post apocalypse, with an eye for detail that is easily visualized; one that you can descend into and inhabit.

This is epic storytelling, told with a taut hand on the tiller, controlling the pace and direction, allowing the reader to uncover truths together with the many, care worthy, relatable characters that populate this place. I blinked a couple of times and found myself entrenched in this world. And it all seems so effortless, the narrative fl
Kaila
This is going to end up being one of those books I force on all my friends, insisting that they read it immediately. I loved it and can't wait for more.

Please see my full reviews of the stories:

Wool 1
Wool 2: Proper Gauge
Wool 3: Casting Off
Wool 4: The Unraveling
Wool 5: The Stranded

Now go read this! You won't regret it!

Update May 13, 2012:

Hugh Howey has announced over on his blog that his self-published book Wool has been acquired by Fox! I couldn't be happier for him, and I am so excited for the
Damali
Wool tells the story of a group of people living in an underground bunker with over 100 floors. Just talking about what's on the outside, or a desire for any change in their situation is considered treason, and may cause them to be sent for Cleaning. Cleaning is when the condemned person cleans the windows so the people can get a clearer view of the world outside. This series has Twilight Zone written all over it, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't end in a Twllight Zone-type fashion.

Wool One, 4
Becky
It's past my bedtime, and I have to work in the morning, so I'm going to try to bang out this review quickly. Apologies if, like many of my reviews, it's spastic and rambly and generally sucks.

This book, omnibus, whatever has been on my reading radar for a long time. It's been recommended to me vociferously by one of my real-life-friends who, every time I tell her what I'm reading at the moment, responds with "But have you started Wool yet? No? Tell me when you have." But one of the reasons why
Jonathan

There are many books that deny the hype and expectations associated with them. To a degree Wool is one of these books in that it is both better and worse than hype would inform you. Regardless it is a brilliant modern dystopian novel, a modern work with style and ideas similar to those seen in Ray Bradbury or George Orwell. When other readers try and argue that The Hunger Games or Divergent are the best modern dystopian novels, Wool is the novel that you point them to for correction.

This novel c
SJ
I feel as though I really need to go to confession before I start this review. Bless me for I have sinned...I initially gave Wool #1 a 3 star rating.

I did! I know. I know! I need to hang my head in shame. Please forgive me!

Here's the deal. Someone mentioned the first book in this series was seriously discounted or possibly completely free. I picked it up. I read a few pages. I was HOOKED BEYOND BELIEF. Then, the book ended. I didn't know the book was a sequel, assumed it was a novella, and was
Alex Duncan
Wool...

This must-read work of dystopian fiction happens in a ruined and toxic landscape where a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. There, men and women live in a mysterious and controlling civilization that is full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them.

I wasn't sold on this one immediately, and I wasn't certain whether or not I should purchase it. In the end I'm really glad that I gave it a go as it's such a wonderful story and interesting se
Willow
I loved Wool!

Not that the title is that great. I realize Howey used the word ‘wool’ to symbolize a thick cloud of deception that encompasses his grim and terrifying world, but the word has other meanings like sheep and itchy sweaters that I think detracts from the sharpness of this fantastic story. Don’t be fooled though, this is a wildly imaginative and thoughtful tale. I enjoyed it a lot.

Howey is an excellent writer and has several things going for him. One is his vivid characters and rich di
Lynxie

verb

Definition:
amuse, delight

Synonyms:
bowl over, break one up, charm, cheer, crack up, entertain, go over big, kill*, knock dead, knock someone's socks off, make laugh, make roll in the aisles, slay, tickle, tickle pink, tickle to death

Review:
I don't even have a more eloquent way of saying that. It's the only thing I can really say about Wool.

Hugh Howey paints a vivid picture of a world that is so stark, it's deadly. What started out as a rather in-your-f
Mark Souza
Wool Omnibus creates an absorbing dystopian world of oppression and treachery. The inhabitants of this world live underground in a silo, the outside world above ground is hostile and toxic, a world they can only see on video screens. The political climate is almost as poisonous as that outside. Those who voice their unhappiness are sent to cleaning, a death sentence where offenders are sent outside in airtight suits with a limited oxygen supply to clean the sensors which project a view of the ou ...more
Brendon Schrodinger
I have had a few reservations that have prevented me from reading 'Wool' sooner. Firstly the old 'if it's popular it can't be that good'; works for Dan Brown and to a degree 'The Hunger Games', but it worked against 'Harry Potter'. Secondly, self-published author made good: hello 'Fifty Shades of Grey'. Thirdly, a post-apocalyptic tale from a sealed community; been done to death, even in the gaming world with the'Fallout' series.

What could 'Wool' possibly offer to a cynic like me?

Sure it didn't
byeol ★彡
Part 1 - Wool ★★★☆☆
One does not simply call their wife "baby" (or "honey"). Minus one star for me not being able to tolerate grown, sensible men calling grown, intelligent women ridiculous pet names. Else a quick read with some twists that manages to pull you in despite its short length and relative little world building (yet). Looking forward for more to come!

Part 2 - Proper Gauge ★★☆☆☆
Rather slow in the beginning, catching up speed in the last third, with some interesting meditations on and in
Mike (the Paladin)
Many, many readers here (including many of my friends) have rated this book (these books) 5 stars. While I like the novel I can't go 5 stars. There are parts that truly annoy me. Still that being said I'm going to recommend it (as I've said before, the parts that annoy me will be what other readers like). Over all I'd go 3.5+.

You have probably read the book's synopsis. For me to say any more would involve spoilers so I won't address much specifically about the plot etc. outside a spoiler warning
Jim
It was a 3.5 read, rounding up because it was self published with excellent editing & formatting, as good as any of the Big 6 publishers put out.

Apparently this was published in 5 parts, the first a short story that was haunting. The second was OK & it got better with each episode until the final piece, much longer than the first, was hard to put down.

I've read a lot of post apocalyptic SF & was surprised at how new & different this was in many ways. It actually surprised me at o
Penny
This has everything you need in a good book - great characters, an interesting setting, deep questions, high stakes, mystery, conspiracy and fantastic writing. I can't recommend it enough.

Although the plot was great it wasn't the best part of this series for me. The questions surrounding human nature and how best to manipulate it were far more interesting. Hugh Howey delivers complex ideas with just the right pacing to make them stick. I'll be ruminating on this one for a while yet.
Rob
Executive Summary: While I feel only the first story works by itself the 5 stories as a collection make for an excellent novel that shouldn't be missed.

Full Review
I first heard about Wool sometime last year as it gaining momentum, but before Mr. Howey had signed the print deal. It's become a pretty trendy pick as of late, and Sword and Laser chose it for the May pick this year.

While this is technically 5 connected stories, I think it reads much better as a novel. I think only the first story is
Rachel (BAVR)
5 stars - Holy shit, SO MANY 5 STARS.

As my GR friends know, it's rare that I squee over a book. Probably because I read mostly crap. It's cool. I can admit it.

Wool is not one of those crappy books. It's the best work I've seen from a new author in a long time, not to mention the best work I've read from a self-published author yet. Howey's books are now on my must-read list.

I don't want to give away too much about the plot because a majority of my reading enjoyment came from the way Howey unra
Tom Merritt
Stellar. It starts at breakkneck speed and pulled me in right away. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic, but this is also a rich version. Howey did a great job of revealing mysteries without revealing them all and keeping me interested in what was going to happen next. I liked that he didn't just keep teasing me. This isn't a suspense novel, it's roller coaster and anything can happen.
Louise
You know that feeling you get when you finish a really great book and you want to shout about it from the highest mountain and tell everyone you know to read it? Yeah, that's me right now.

The Wool Omnibus is *the* way to read this series of stories. Once I read Wool #1, I couldn't stop. Good thing I bought the omnibus! Wool is about the people who live in a sealed silo that goes for more than a hundred levels below Earth because the surface of Earth is toxic and uninhabitable.

What happens when t
Jon Scott
I read about this book as a Goodreads book of the year selection. I had never heard of it and read some of the reviews which sounded good so I went to Amazon and read some more reviews before I decided to purchase it. Wow. This book sucked. I can't really understand why so many readers gave it such strong reviews. I wanted to like the book (I consider the omnibus one book) but I just could not. After reading the mock interview at the end of the book, I was pulling for the author. From what I cou ...more
Coffee Club with ...: Wool Omnibus 01/24-02/24 8 5 Feb 26, 2015 07:41AM
Why do people clean? *spoilers* 20 479 Jan 26, 2015 11:51PM
Ciencia Ficcion e...: Lectura Noviembre-Diciembre 2014: Espejismo 18 51 Jan 02, 2015 02:43AM
Not a YA book! 38 728 Dec 12, 2014 07:47PM
David Estes Fans ...: Hugh Howey (author of Wool) Q&A Dec. 11-17th 164 400 Nov 04, 2014 08:38AM
  • The End is Nigh
  • Fuzzy Nation
  • The Runner
  • Yesterday's Gone: Season One
  • Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)
  • The Sky Used to be Blue: a Silo story (Karma)
  • Flowertown
  • Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1)
  • The Old Man and the Wasteland
  • Immune (The Rho Agenda, #2)
  • Freedom™
  • The Gone-Away World
  • Pump Six and Other Stories
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins (First Light Chronicles, #1-3, Spinward Fringe, #0)
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified
More about Hugh Howey...

Wool (5 books)
  • Wool (Wool, #1)
  • Proper Gauge (Wool, #2)
  • Casting Off (Wool, #3)
  • The Unraveling (Wool, #4)
  • The Stranded (Wool, #5)
Wool (Wool, #1) Shift (Silo, #2) Dust (Silo, #3) First Shift: Legacy (Shift, #1) Second Shift: Order (Shift, #2)

“He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.” 25 likes
“It turned out that some crooked things looked even worse when straightened. Some tangled knots only made sense once unraveled.” 16 likes