Questions > Two different Dean Koontzs

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Logan (new)

Logan Blackisle (loganblackisle) | 6 comments Dean Koontz
Dean R. Koontz

... are clearly the same - also:
Dean R. Koontz/Kenneth Bulmer

is that supposed to be a separate author?

message 2: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments The Dean R. Koontz/Kenneth Bulmer profile is empty & will be deleted automatically at some point. The other two seem to have been allowed, I'm not entirely sure why, but it has been discussed several times in these threads.

message 3: by Logan (new)

Logan Blackisle (loganblackisle) | 6 comments That seems kinda weird - there are several that repeat between the two, which I'd think would be a problem.

F.ex. Watchers appears on both, though it only notes Dean Koontz as author in both appearances.

message 4: by Mike Briggs (last edited May 04, 2015 01:54PM) (new)

Mike Briggs (mikebriggs) | 188 comments It's a "what's on the cover" thing. Specifically re Watchers, after a quick glance most use Dean Koontz. One, the Turkish version, uses Dean R. Koontz. Assuming that has been correctly combined.

Nöbet by Dean R. Koontz

eta: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16408 comments Then why doesn't Charles L. Grant have two profiles? (please don't separate them now)

Other authors have been combined to have the most complete version of the name. I never understood why this one got an exception.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16408 comments Iain Banks gets an exception as well. I'm aware of why he used the two names on his books, but should that matter for GR purposes?

message 7: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Yes, Banks books have been kept specifically separated, it's been discussed here numerous times.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41713 comments Mod
Scott wrote: "Other authors have been combined to have the most complete version of the name. I never understood why this one got an exception."

We make the same exception for any author who prefers to claim the shorter version. The complete version still goes on any edition with it on the cover (and would be the primary author for all editions of a work that was initially published under it).

Banks is a different case. He kept the names as distinct and separate, for different genres. We do not merge the authors in cases like that.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16408 comments So Dean specifically requested two different names?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41713 comments Mod
He prefers to maintain the one without the initial as his claimed profile.