Time Travel discussion

The Time Traveler's Almanac > The Final Days- David Langford (5/2-5/9)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
Very short read this week, only a few pages. Haven't found it online yet but am still on the hunt.

David Langford is best known for his parody writing...

message 2: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

For me, this is a concept or idea, like some of the other stories we have read previously. More of a scene than an actual story. I was waiting for a resolution of some kind.

Does anyone think it is more interesting or more thought-provoking to trail off in a story as opposed to end the scene or story definitively? If so, why is that? Personally I go for conclusions but they seem to not be the norm necessarily.

message 3: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Did anyone else read this story yet?

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 881 comments I did. But I have no idea whether I like it until I understand something:

(view spoiler)

I don't mind short stories that are simply ideas - but this is either a fragment of an idea, or the author thinks he's making things clear and failing. Another question - what exactly are Harmon's goals? He seems sleazy, but is he worse than most politicians?

message 5: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Cheryl wrote: (view spoiler)

Not sure how I feel about Harmon as a politician. Being better looking on camera does not make one the better candidate. Again, I think we are left to pass our own judgements and it's hard to root for the other guy.

message 6: by James (last edited May 20, 2015 09:10PM) (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 189 comments Sorry, I should have said...(view spoiler)

And now my entire post is invisible.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 881 comments You're probably right. :sigh:

message 8: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments I read this but don't know what to think of it. I think you guys are right, though. 3 stars from me.

message 9: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
I like the fact that the story does not conclude...Sometimes this really irks me but I don't see this as a story so much as a thought exercise to spur others to write their own conclusions.

(view spoiler)

I thought it interesting to read this story and Vintage Season so close together as future tourists have come to watch...

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Glasser | 208 comments This felt much more like an idea, albiet an interesting idea, than a story.