What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Ordinary Bath
This topic is about The Ordinary Bath
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's picture ...bath time, two minutes more. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited May 03, 2015 06:47PM) (new)

Jenny When I was a kid, we had a story book about a kid in the bath. When he turned on the tap all sorts of weird creatures came out and ended up going down the drain. Periodically, one of then would call out a time - "Two minutes more! Two minutes more! Two minutes more!" It maybe started at 10 minutes more (I think) and then counted down.

It was late 1970's or very early 1980's.

The reading level was a children's picture book. Backwards counting book.

Storyline: It was a story book about a kid in the bath. When he turned on the tap all sorts of weird creatures came out and ended up going down the drain. Periodically, one of them would call out a time - "Two minutes more! Two minutes more! Two minutes more!"

Genre: picture book

Format: paper book (dead tree)

Thanks for any help!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4130 comments The Ordinary Bath by Dennis Lee maybe?
Forbidden too much bathwater by a mother who doesn't want her bathroom messed up, a young boy defiantly turns on the tap himself. But instead of water he gets a bathtub creature, who seems to represent both his ability to imagine and his desire for unrepressed freedom. The creature shouts, "We can dance! We can dive in the tub! and we're going to have FUN!" And FUN they have, as more and more weird creatures pour out of the tap. But our hero seems to understand the danger of too much giving in to oneself; he curbs his own wildness by making the creatures who emerge from the tap progressively nastier, until "one came spouting flames till the sea caught fire," and even worse, "one splashed me hard." Finally, something like Armageddon is happening in the bathtub, and even the first creature who appeared complains,"WHY did you turn on that tap?" The boy has no choice but to be rid of the creatures, and return the bath, and himself to "ordinary." Apparently he knows both how to use his imagination to help him past some of the stumblingblocks of reality (such as mothers), and when to curb it. And also how to curb it - it is his old favorite "duck of a million tubs", the only remaining vestige of the ordinary in the midst of Armageddon, who finally pulls the plug and returns things to normal.
Canadian Children's Literature, 1979

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I'll check both of those out and see. Thanks for the suggestions!! I'll let you know.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Ordinary Bath is the one! Thank you!!