Historical Fiction discussion

unrelated things > member introduction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry Moniz (larrymoniz) | 1 comments Hi, I’m Larry Moniz, a retired Journalist and Publicist with more than 45 years experience as a writing professional and numerous journalism, PR and fiction writing awards.

I still write. It’s not what I do but who I am. I’ve written both fiction and non-fiction books as well as an archeological research paper on the source from which (at least) some of The Americas first migrant populations. Hint: It wasn’t Beringia, despite die-hard archeologists who built careers on a now disproven hypothesis. Widely known as the “Clovis First” theory, timelines at more than a dozen other locations show a land bridge migration couldn’t have happened when claim.

I’ve also been a student of American Indian History for more than half a century and am currently working on what, hopefully, will become an epic-length fictionalized tale of the history and demise of one of the Northeastern Woodlands Indian Tribes great nations. After four years of research I’m finally confident with my understanding of their culture and history to begin writing.

Some of you may ask why the book is fictionalized. It’s very simple. While there are lots of archeological tomes written by highly respected archeologists and anthropologists, their research is based on artifacts. Only a few Europeans who lived during the peak years of their existence wrote about those First Nations and much of that was colored by their prejudices, including religion, a desire to usurp their lands and, perhaps most of all, a perception that Native Americans were sub-human “savages.” Far from it, they just had a different and, in some cases, highly sophisticated culture.

message 2: by Gracie (new)

Gracie (gracieshorts) | 16 comments What is the name of your book?

message 3: by Rose (new)

Rose Scott (roseseilerscott) | 23 comments Hi, I'm Rose Seiler Scott
I love to read all kinds of books, especially biographical/ historical and WW 2 fiction.
Growing up I often heard stories from my father and other German relatives. Their history was a puzzle that I felt compelled to piece together and bring into the open. The result is the historical novel, Threaten to Undo Us, which offers a unique perspective on World War Two and the years following.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia M. | 7 comments Thank you, Rose! Our parents lived through an incredible time in history. Congratulations on the completion of your novel I would love to read it! Pat

message 5: by Deborah (last edited Aug 07, 2015 09:30PM) (new)

Deborah Lincoln | 4 comments Hello - I'm Deborah Lincoln. I live in Oregon and love to learn history through fiction. I also write -- so far my work has been based on family stories from the mid-19th century (Agnes Canon's War). I was told by one agent that Civil War-era fiction doesn't sell, but I don't believe it. Anyone else out there like to read that era? More info at www.deborahlincoln.org.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia M. | 7 comments That agent is nuts! I love Civil War fiction and am looking forward to reading your novel. My favorite novel of the era is "Cold Mountain" by Charles Fraiser, which I am sure you have read. I usually only read women's fiction but Frasier really captures Ada's feelings and longings for Inman and the end of this most horrible war. Keep writing, Deborah!!
Pat Schroeder

message 7: by Pete (new)

Pete Planisek | 2 comments Hello,

I'm Pete Planisek. I'm an author, podcaster, teacher and enjoy historical fiction. To date, I have two published novels titled Frankenstein A Life Beyond (Book 1 of 3) The Resurrection Trinity and Frankenstein Soul's Echo (Book 2 of 3) The Resurrection Trinity, which both are set in the early 1800's (and have scenes from the late 1700's) and journey through a number of European countries including: Ireland, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Scotland and many more. I have also recently started a short story series called "Web of Wyrd," which is a spy thriller set in Norway during World War II. The short stories are free and can be found at http://www.enceladusliterary.com/?pag.... Find out more by looking me up on Goodreads or visiting http://www.enceladusliterary.com/

Thank you and happy reading and writing!

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lincoln | 4 comments Patricia wrote: "That agent is nuts! I love Civil War fiction and am looking forward to reading your novel. My favorite novel of the era is "Cold Mountain" by Charles Fraiser, which I am sure you have read. I usua..."

Thanks, Pat -- I loved Cold Mountain, too. Hope you enjoy ACW. Let me know!

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia M. | 7 comments I'm going to have B&N order it for me!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah King | 3 comments Hi, I'm Sarah King. I've just published my first novel, The Gisburn Witch, which is a historical fiction set against the backdrop of the Pendle Witch Trials in Lancashire in the early 1600s. I'm currently working on the sequel, A Girl Named Sellers, which moves the story on to the second Pendle Witch Trials in the 1630s. My academic background is history, it's always been my passion and I love thinking about the stories behind the headlines so to speak - the tales of ordinary people who lived through exciting and often dangerous times.

I look forward to chatting with many of you on this forum - if anyone is interested in checking out my book or more about me, you can visit my website www.sarahlking.com.

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia M. | 7 comments Hi Sarah, I am new at Goodreads myself! I was also a history major in college and graduate school. My favorite time period is the WWII era. My favorite genre is, big surprise, historical fiction, and I also still read straight history, too. I am working on a novel that is based on my own woman-story of marriage, betrayal, depression and recovery. I have to completely re-write a big piece of it that I accidentally deleted!
I live in Wisconsin, USA, in the Milwaukee suburb of Franklin. I am interested in national and local politics, as our very conservative state governor is running for President next year. I am very liberal and disagree with everything he stands for!
I will put your book on my "Want to read" list. Wish me luck in finishing mine! Sincerely, Pat Schroeder

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah King | 3 comments Good luck Pat, and thanks for your reply! Sarah

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Stanard | 7 comments My name is Bonnie and I live in Columbia, SC. I enjoy history and historical fiction for what they can tell us about ourselves today. As Will Faulkner put it - The past is not dead, it's not even past. While writing a series of four antebellum novels, I felt like I was living on a Southern plantation. I'm glad it's over. I'm still trying to figure out goodreads, so please overlook my blunders.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone!
My name is Missy and I'm 22 years old. I'm from Oklahoma and I absolutely love to read historical fiction.
My favorite time period to read about is World War 2. I'm fascinated by military history and always love to read about the innovations that were made during this time.
I'm looking forward to making new friends here! :)

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia M. | 7 comments Hi Missy!
My name is Pat and I also love historical fiction set in WWII. My dad was a Marine in the Pacific theater of the war and that is where my interest started. I have written my dad's story (non-fiction) but have not tried my hand at fiction as of yet. Welcome to Goodreads!

message 16: by Laureen (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 7 comments Hello everybody. My name is Laureen and I am a 66yr year young Australian. I have long been a fan of HF but I am a reader not a writer. I particularly like pre 19th century HF.

Has anybody else read

This Thing of Darkness. I read it a long time ago and marked it as a favorite but then donated it to our local Library. Silly me. It is about a voyage taken by Captain Fitzroy partly in the company of Charles Darwin around the East coast of America where he got to mingle with tribes not previously known and then his adventures trying to round the Southern cape of Tierra del Fuego. Sorry if any of my spelling is wrong, it's been a while.

I would dearly love to know how much of the history is accurate. It was pretty compelling and believable, though classified as historical fiction. A thoroughly good read. The ending when they arrived back in England, how true was the story around Charles Darwin's reception and life?

message 17: by Marina (new)

Marina (marinajanovljan) | 2 comments Hello Everyone,
My name is Marina and I am a history lover. I am a reader not a writer. I am just looking for good book recommendations.
Thank you.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Patricia wrote: "Hi Missy!
My name is Pat and I also love historical fiction set in WWII. My dad was a Marine in the Pacific theater of the war and that is where my interest started. I have written my dad's sto..."

That is so cool! My great-grandpa was a sailor during WWII and if I remember correctly, he served in the Pacific as well :)
My dad is retired Air Force so that's where I got my interest in military history from :)

message 19: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 8 comments Deborah wrote: "Hello - I'm Deborah Lincoln. I live in Oregon and love to learn history through fiction. I also write -- so far my work has been based on family stories from the mid-19th century ([book:Agnes Canon..."

KILLER ANGELS is one of my all-time favorite books. There certainly seems to be a big market in Civil War fiction.

message 20: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 8 comments TheGrayLibrarian wrote: "Hi everyone!
My name is Missy and I'm 22 years old. I'm from Oklahoma and I absolutely love to read historical fiction.
My favorite time period to read about is World War 2. I'm fascinated by mili..."

I love military history too. My favorite WWII novel is HMS ULYSSES by Alistair Maclean.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Betsy wrote: "TheGrayLibrarian wrote: "Hi everyone!
My favorite time period to read about is World War ..."

I haven't read that one yet. I'll definitely have to check it out :)

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lincoln | 4 comments Patricia wrote: "I'm going to have B&N order it for me!"

Thank you so much!

message 23: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Stanard | 7 comments I have four choices for the cover of my upcoming novel, set in rural SC in 1945 and would like your response to help me decide which one to go with. I like all of them, from Stanard Design Partners, but which to choose? The four choices are at http://www.writepersona.blogspot.com.
Thanks!

message 24: by Laureen (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 7 comments No. 1, I think. The book shelf is a great collector of dust.

message 25: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lincoln | 4 comments I agree. No. 1 is the most striking.

message 26: by Bee (new)

Bee | 1 comments Hi, my name is Belinda, and I love reading historical fiction, as well as history, in general.
Lately, I've been reading novels by Philippa (sp?) Gregory. I read the entire "White Queen" series. I thought all were engaging, but some were better written than others. I guess my favorite time period to read about is the medieval period in Europe.
I'm currently on a mystery kick, actually, but am always looking for new historical fiction to read.

Very happy to meet like-minded readers.

message 27: by Nabeel (last edited Aug 24, 2015 10:11PM) (new)

Nabeel Khan (NRKhan89) | 1 comments Hey Everyone,

My name is Nabeel. I am new to this site just joined and found this group to be after similar interests of my own. From authors like Jack White and J.R.R. Tolkien to the great work of Homer and Ovid from the Iliad to Metamorphosis, I have found their novels almost a safe haven.

I, myself, am actually currently writing a YA fantasy novel series based on another world with influences of such epics so I thought it would be cool to get to know people who might be interested in the same time of work and maybe get some suggestion of novels I could add to my reading list haha.

I also decided to start a compilation of Poetry and short stories based on characters from the same world as my novel series so if you feel that might be something you are interested in you should totally check out my page where hopefully I can release a chapter a week. Gets some feedback and thoughts on what you guys think of my work. The Compilation series is entitled Silenced Persona, I hope you guys will like it!

Awesome to be a part of this group and can't wait to start posting in the forums to get to know you all a little better.

Cheers

message 28: by Ronja (new)

Ronja | 2 comments Hello everyone, my name is Ronja and I live in Germany. I've always been interested in history and historical fiction, so I was very pleased to find this group. I'm looking forward to lively discussions and meeting like-minded people :-).

message 29: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 8 comments My name is Betsy. I particularly like military history fiction. At the current time I am reading THE THIN RED LINE by James Jones.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtasinshams) Hello, my name is Sarah and I am from Bangladesh. I love History and like all of you love Historical Fiction. Some of my favourites are: A Tale of Two Cities, The Three Musketeers and the likes. I am hoping to find good book recommendations!

message 31: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Stanard | 7 comments Deborah wrote: "I agree. No. 1 is the most striking."

Thanks Laureen and Deborah. No. 1 hasn't been my favorite cover, but I'll think about it.
Bonnie

message 32: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Stanard | 7 comments Bee wrote: "Hi, my name is Belinda, and I love reading historical fiction, as well as history, in general.
Lately, I've been reading novels by Philippa (sp?) Gregory. I read the entire "White Queen" series. ..."

Bee, I find Philippa Gregory's writing to lack historic tone. Sounds contemporary, even the language.
Bonnie

message 33: by George (new)

George Root (georgenroot3) | 1 comments Hi,
I am George N Root III. I write mostly science fiction, but I really love reading historical fiction. My favorite genre within historical fiction is World War II.

message 34: by Laureen (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 7 comments Bonnie wrote: "Deborah wrote: "I agree. No. 1 is the most striking."

Thanks Laureen and Deborah. No. 1 hasn't been my favorite cover, but I'll think about it.
Bonnie"

If it helps Bonnie, No. 4 was my 2nd choice. Stands out with the bold script.

Hey, I agree with you about Phillipa Gregory. I haven't read her novels for a long time now.

message 35: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Bee wrote: "Hi, my name is Belinda, and I love reading historical fiction, as well as history, in general.
Lately, I've been reading novels by Philippa (sp?) Gregory. I read the entire "White Queen" series. ..."

Hi Belinda,
Have you tried reading Anne Easter Smith? I loved Philippa Gregory's books and Anne Easter Smith is in the same vein, just about the Plantagenet family. Happy reading!

message 36: by Ronja (last edited Aug 26, 2015 05:40AM) (new)

Ronja | 2 comments Hi Bonnie, I would go with No.1 as well, mainly for the reason that I usually don't find black-and-white covers very attractive, and I honestly can't remember when I last bought a book that had one. But that may be just me ;-).

message 37: by Sam (new)

Sam Lutton (goodreadscomsam_lutton) | 8 comments I like the cover with the dresser. Much more striking.

message 38: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Grant (cindyhospador) I like the first cover with the dresser but maybe that is to obvious??? I also like the third cover.

message 39: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Stanard | 7 comments This is turning into a difficult decision...thanks for your comments!

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam Lutton (goodreadscomsam_lutton) | 8 comments Betsy wrote: "My name is Betsy. I particularly like military history fiction. At the current time I am reading THE THIN RED LINE by James Jones."

Betsy...You might also like ONCE AN EAGLE by Anton Myrer (if you can find it).

message 41: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Cherry (rlcherry) | 1 comments Samuel wrote: "Betsy wrote: "My name is Betsy. I particularly like military history fiction. At the current time I am reading THE THIN RED LINE by James Jones."

Betsy...You might also like ONCE AN EAGLE by Ant..."

If you're into British history Sharpe's Rifles series is very well written. The Flashman series has a rogue anti-hero as a protagonist but is tongue-in-cheek and very historical. I interviewed George MacDonald Fraser and he was a nut on accurate history.

message 42: by Terri (new)

Terri Herman-Poncé (terriponce) | 5 comments Hi, everyone! I've been a long-time member of Goodreads but have never really used it to its fullest. I decided to change that bad habit today. I'm a HUGE fan of anything ancient Egypt as well as alternate history, and am looking for kindreds souls who love the same and who can also help me expand my reading horizons. Look forward to making new friends!

message 43: by Sam (new)

Sam Lutton (goodreadscomsam_lutton) | 8 comments Terri...

You might like "The Egyptian" by Mika Waltari...an old novel but a good one.

message 44: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) | 1 comments Hi there,
I've had a break from Goodreads but now find myself longing to find so truly absorbing HF reads. I've come back in the hope that groups such as this can suggest some awesome reads that will have me utterly engrossed.
No pressure there then.
Grace x

message 45: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne  Ulasz | 7 comments Hi! My name is Jeanne (sounds like the kind that lives in a magic lamp for those of you who have to sound out names like me).
I am 42 years old and am just an avid reader, not a writer as it seems many of you are. My favorite genre is historical fiction by far however I have a very open mind!! I adore being led on tales that actually teach me a bit about history but thread in aspects of a fictional tale.
Looking forward to great discussions and some fantastic recommendations.
:)

message 46: by Jeanne (last edited Aug 30, 2015 02:29PM) (new)

Jeanne  Ulasz | 7 comments Bonnie wrote: "I have four choices for the cover of my upcoming novel, set in rural SC in 1945 and would like your response to help me decide which one to go with. I like all of them, from Stanard Design Partners..."

Hi Bonnie. Speaking only from the standpoint that I believe a cover can draw the eye when you're buying a book and which might better grab my attention I chose number 2.
My humble opinion.
Best of luck!

message 47: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Graham (sandpen) | 12 comments Hi! I'm Sandy and when I reflect on books read I'm obvious partial to historical fiction - from all eras. For those of you that like WW II, you might check The Captain by Jan Hartog and for ancient Egypt lovers, The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. Mary Renault's books are great for Greece. When it comes to writing, I tend to home in on the mid 1900's since I lived through them but have a good start on a novel set in revolutionary times centered around a bit of my family history.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi, I'm Sarah from Ireland. I am brand new to Goodreads. I love reading Historical fiction. I have just finished Hilary Mantels Wolf Hall and am now reading Bring up the Bodies. I find I learn a lot from reading historical fiction. I like anything from the 16th 17th and 18th century. I'm also a fan of a good fairy tale retelling, Juliet Marillier being one of my favourite authors.
Happy reading everyone :)

message 49: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Rooney | 8 comments Hi Sarah - You may want to check out my recently released novel entitled The Angel of Innisfree if you enjoy Irish Famine era and U.S. Civil War historical fiction. The Angel of Innisfree

message 50: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne  Ulasz | 7 comments Patrick wrote: "Hi Sarah - You may want to check out my recently released novel entitled The Angel of Innisfree if you enjoy Irish Famine era and U.S. Civil War historical fiction. [book:The Angel of Innisfree|257..."

Hi Patrick! Glad you said something on this thread. Wow. Your book sounds very interesting! I love Chopin :) I'm a classically trained singer, also play flute and dabble in piano and some other instruments. Have always wanted to go to Ireland. I am looking forward to reading your novel.

« previous 1 3