Brain Pain discussion

The Rifles
This topic is about The Rifles
The Rifles - TVP 2015 > Questions, Resources, and General Banter - The Rifles

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 3055 comments Mod
William T. Vollmann published The Rifles in 1994. This is the sixth volume of his series, Seven Dreams: A Book of North American Landscapes.

Wikipedia page for William T. Vollmann:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_...

Wikipedia page for the Seven Dreams series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Dr...

Feel free to use this thread to ask questions and post links to resources for William T. Vollmann and The Rifles.

Also, if you’ve written a review of the book, please post a link to share with the group.

Cphe | 131 comments I bought a copy for this read and I've already started.

Haven't read Vollmann before but he's been on my reading radar for a long time, but had no idea where to start. (I'm making this one my stand)

Admit that I knew absolutely nothing about the author/ his style or delivery so, I've gone into the read "blind"

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 3055 comments Mod
Cphe wrote: "Admit that I knew absolutely nothing about the author/ his style or delivery so, I've gone into the read "blind" ..."

Perfect! since Vollmann refers to himself as "William the Blind" throughout the Seven Dreams series.

A point to remember - Vollmann epitomizes the style and spirit of postmodern and postpostmodern literature.

Cphe | 131 comments I'm glad I got a copy, there isn't a lot of his work available for kindle (not of the Seven Dreams series) that is.

Griffin Alexander | 5 comments I think that the statement "Vollmann epitomizes the style and spirit of postmodern and postpostmodern literature" is a very arguable one that could be taken up in another thread. My 2 cents: he comes in as an answer to postmodernism (post-post, if you will). His spirit is one of completely different engagement from, say, Barth or Pynchon.

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 3055 comments Mod
Griffin wrote: "I think that the statement "Vollmann epitomizes the style and spirit of postmodern and postpostmodern literature" is a very arguable one that could be taken up in another thread. My 2 cents: he com..."

This is the right thread for your 2 cents. Have at it...

message 7: by Zadignose (new) - added it

Zadignose | 444 comments Maybe an outline of the novel's chapters and subchapter headings would be useful for discussing this. The table of contents lists the main chapter titles, but a lot happens in the 114 page chapter "Northwest Passages," for instance, and the text is actually divided into smaller bits.

I haven't easily found any such outline, so I cobbled this sucker together. It's just a bunch of names for sections, but when reading the text, maybe we'll get to associate action to title, so we can know what part we're talking about. I recently finished reading the novel, and I wanted to talk about Sedna and the Fulmar, but until I put this little outline together I couldn't remember that that story only comes up in our scheduled Week 2 reading. Anyhow:
--------------------------------------------
Rifle-Text: The Quest for Polar Treasures (1933)

The Rifles

I King William Island
......Two Men (1948, 1848)
II Pond Inlet
......Captain Subzero (1989)
......All the Boys Will Fall in Love with You Now
III Resolute Bay
......Someone Laughing (1988)
IV Inukjuak
......Scarlet Mushrooms (1990)
......Doing It Again
......The Ice-Shirt
......Starvation Cove (1990)
......Starvation Cove (1848)
V Northwest Passages
......Lady Jane (1845)
......Stromness Harbour
......Hide and Seek
......The Meaning of His Bones (1990)
......The Rifles
......The Crew
......Under the Polar Cross
......Sedna and the Fulmar
......Akaicho's Debt
......Meat (1989)
......The Northwest Passage (1846)
VI Peel Sound
......Cards (1847)
......Beset (1846-1848)
......Subzero's Debt (1991)
......Not Yet Dead (1847)
......Reepah's Debt
......Back's Debt
VII King William Island
......Meat (1848)

Straight Shots (1741-1991)

More Stuff (including the exchange of letters)

message 8: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 3055 comments Mod
Zadignose wrote: "Maybe an outline of the novel's chapters and subchapter headings would be useful for discussing this. The table of contents lists the main chapter titles, but a lot happens in the 114 page chapter ..."

Thanks for the outline!

You don't have to wait for Week Two to actually arrive. You can go into that discussion and comment at any time. The "weeks" are kind of leftover from when we rolled out the discussion by calendar date. I might try to change that next year, somehow...