Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2015 Old & New Classic Challenge > Stephanie D's Classics Challenge

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Glad to see you join this challenge. You've picked some great books already (remember you can shorten it accordingly if you like, since you're coming to it part way through the year)

I've read and enjoyed all of your new school picks, plus Twelve Years a Slave. I still haven't read the others, but am planning on listening to The Woman in White this month. Good luck!

message 2: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Stephanie you have done the challenge perfectly. However since you are a new member and four months have already past this year you only need to select 8 books and 2 alternates.

We thought this would be a better way for new members to participate and not feel overwhelmed trying complete 12 books in less than 12 months. We did not want to hinder your other non classic reading. So far you are the first new 2015 member to take up this challenge. Enjoy the challenge and Good Luck, however many books you decide to read.

Rule:
For New Members joining in 2015, in addition to the above rules, feel free to adjust your challenge according to the number of months left in the year. Example: If you join in March 2015 and wish to participate, list 9 books and 2 alternates. If your joined after June 2015 list the appropriate number of books according to the number of months left, but only pick one alternate.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Stephanie, your list looks good!

I "borrowed" one of your selections for my classic bingo reading. I added The Wonderful Wizard of Oz for G3/ Fantasy or Adventure classic. :)

message 4: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Stephanie wrote: "Thanks, Bob!!

I'm feeling bold and will go with the 12... :D Thinking I have a good mix of short and long, new and old so that I won't be overwhelmed and I do really want to increase my classics ..."

I LIKE your attitude!! ;-) Best of luck!!

message 5: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I read Animal Farm for the first time last year and I really enjoyed it!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I too find it a challenge to put down a few sentences for every book, and for the same reason. I need to rush off and start the next book as I often wind up reading 6-8 books per month. :)

I'll have to look into reading Animal Farm. If I remember correctly, it isn't all that long of a book.

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments I loved Animal Farm as well and only read it a couple of years ago. I do the same with reviews, but often batch review every couple of weeks, even if it's something short. Good luck with your next choice :)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah You have some really interesting selections on here! I think I've only read one. I'm curious to see what you think of them down the road. I'm especially curious about The Maltese Falcon.

I've been reading some horror lately. I want a good (safe at home) scare but I rarely find horror stories frightening.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm weird with Stephen King. I really like about 1 or 2 in 10 and the rest annoy me. I did read Salem's Lot and I enjoyed it but I didn't find it scary. I've been wanting to read Christine though. A little old school King :)

Have fun with your reading!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Congrats! I love that book.

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments I read Pride and Prejudice for the first time with this group, and I LOVED it as well! I'm glad you felt the same. :-)

message 12: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited May 29, 2015 08:43PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Stephanie wrote: "Finished Twelve Years a Slave yesterday - 4 stars. Added review to Post #1. This is one where I saw the movie before reading the book."

I'd like to read this, but I don't know when I'll get to it.

I missed the movie when it was in theaters.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Stephanie wrote: "Hey Andrew, I am also a compulsive book hoarder (don't tell!!)... It was a pretty quick read, but not really short. The book and the movie both were good (book better, as normal)."

That helps to know that the book is a quick read.

Maybe I'll get a chance to squeeze it in during a slow reading period.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I ended up reading The Maltese Falcon today and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the idea :)

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Me too. I wasn't entirely crazy about The Big Sleep so I was hesitant to try it. It ended up being super fun and a nice relaxing read.

message 16: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Stephanie wrote: "Oh boy...

I started this challenge off with a bang and then life got in the way. Things are starting to get back to normal and I am back participating on GR...

With that said, I still have a goal..."

Pretty much where things stand with me too. I see it as any books are a bonus, even if I don't complete my lists!

message 17: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Pink wrote: " I see it as any books are a bonus, even if I don't complete my lists!
."

Well, of course they are, challenges are there for you to have fun, after all, and maybe organize the TBR a bit. I won't be able to finish mine either, but I'm pefectly happy with my new list of books for 2016, also with some carryover :).

message 18: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments I think I might carry over my unfinished books to 2016 too.