Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading in May 2015?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Annnnnnnnnnd Go! :D

message 2: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments To start things off, I'm still reading The Silkworm, book 2 in the Cormoran Strike series. It's good, but I have been so ridiculously busy at work that it's been hard for me to squeeze any reading time in. So now rather than being books ahead of my goal, I'm 3 behind. So I have some work to do!

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 119 comments Just finished Small Gods by Terry Pratchett this morning. Hilarious. Currently listening to a novella by Kevin J Anderson called Tau Ceti.

I'm giving up on Books-of-the-month for the rest of the year so that I can spend more time listening/reading books and audiobooks that I own. My TBR of owned books is embarrassingly large. If there happens to be a book I have that matches the selections, I'll listen then, but otherwise, I'll just have to add interesting books to my wishlist and leave it at that.

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "To start things off, I'm still reading The Silkworm, book 2 in the Cormoran Strike series. It's good, but I have been so ridiculously busy at work that it's been hard for me to sque..."

How is it? I borrowed it from the library for hubby but he never read it.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Stephanie wrote: "Just finished Small Gods by Terry Pratchett this morning. Hilarious. Currently listening to a novella by Kevin J Anderson called Tau Ceti.

I'm giving up on Books-of-the-month for the rest of th..."

I understand!

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited May 01, 2015 10:29AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Currently reading:
Magic Bites (IAA Buddy read)
Sweep in Peace (serial)

Currently writing reviews for:
Broken Open
Silent Blade
Silver Shark
A Mere Formality

Need to start this weekend:
Written in Red (library)
The Carpet People
The Innocent Mage
The Night Circus

message 7: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Becky wrote: "To start things off, I'm still reading The Silkworm, book 2 in the Cormoran Strike series. It's good, but I have been so ridiculously busy at work that it's been hard ..."

It's good... these books feel a little slow compared to other thrillers I've read, and there's definitely a lot of character drama and misunderstanding going on, but I like them.

message 8: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Was hoping to get at least another 1/3 of the way through The Android's Dream tonight, so that I could finish tomorrow, but I'm not sure thats going to happen.

Come hell or highwater, though, I'm starting Magic Bites on Sunday!

I have a feeling I may have to dedicate 2016 to all of the Fof and AE reads I'll be missing due to the power of the Ilona Andrews duo!

message 9: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I'm pretty much stuck, choosing to binge watch Sons of Anarchy rather than read. That is, when I'm not too busy for either.

message 10: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 168 comments School has put me in a massive slump. I doubt I'll read anything fun til June... Sigh. Can't even motivate myself to pick up a graphic novel.

message 11: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Ally,

Don't talk madness, now! There is ALWAYS time for a graphic novel?!

message 12: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Laurel wrote: "Ally,

Don't talk madness, now! There is ALWAYS time for a graphic novel?!"

I so agree! :)

message 13: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I finished Pines. Good page turner...

message 14: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Damn, and I was seriously looking at Grace of Kings.

message 15: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Well, that's disappointing.

message 16: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments Nicki, it's helpful to hear this. I was quite looking forward to reading it but I think I'll de-prioritize it.

message 17: by Nyssa (last edited May 03, 2015 06:35AM) (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Nyssa wrote: "Was hoping to get at least another 1/3 of the way through The Android's Dream tonight, so that I could finish tomorrow, but I'm not sure thats going to happen."

Ha! I did it! I finished the book yesterday (well technically, really really early this morning - around 12;30 - 1am). It turned out to be really good. I'm glad I read it all the way through.

Nyssa wrote: "Come hell or highwater, though, I'm starting Magic Bites on Sunday! "

Soon the Magic will begin! Hee Hee Hee

message 18: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Nicki wrote: "I was all excited for it because I loved Ken Liu's The Paper Menagerie, despite being one of those heathens who doesn't tend to appreciate short stories much, but ugh... it was a trial to finish. S..."

Oh, man! The Paper Menagerie was one of those stories that sticks with you, months even years afterwards. So disappointing. Sorry Nicki.

message 19: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Go Nyssa!

message 20: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Laurel wrote: "Go Nyssa!"

lol Thanks for the support.
The Magic has begun! Magic Bites: One chapter read, nine more to go. :)

message 21: by Rachel Joy (last edited May 04, 2015 11:11AM) (new)

Rachel Joy I'm reading Entwined and rereading The Tale of the Body Thief.

So very sorry about that!

message 22: by Nyssa (last edited May 04, 2015 09:49AM) (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm reading Entwined by Heather Dixon and rereading The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4) by Anne Rice."

Hi Rachel,

A few of the members and mods here have asked that we please use the book title links, instead of (or along with) just the covers, so that posts make sense when viewed via the GR app.
Covers tend not to show up, most of the time, on the app, so your above post, for instance, looks like this when I check the post on my iPhone:

"I'm reading [blank space] and rereading [blank space] ."

Just thought you might appreciate a heads up. :)

message 23: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Still reading Sweep in Peace. Damn it! Its getting good but she's fucking with my emotions.

I'm back to Magic Bites and I'll see what else pops up. I;m just happy to be reading again.

message 24: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm reading Entwined and rereading The Tale of the Body Thief.

So very sorry about that!"

No worries! Thank you for editing your post. :)

message 25: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm still reading Summer and Bird. Been reading it for a week, which is really rare for me - especially as it's under 400 pages.

Part of it is just my schedule hasn't left me as much reading time as usual... but a larger part, I think, is that I'm just not digging it and the pace is soooo slow.

Hoping to finish it tonight or tomorrow at the lastest, though, and then I think I'll move on to The Supernatural Enhancements which I got from the library last Wednesday.

message 26: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Just finished Nicodemus. Nice YA high fantasy, here is my review.

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I just finished Written in Red.

OMG. I enjoyed the heck out of it! The MC is a horrible, horrible Mary Sue but I liked it so much that I.Didn't.Care.

It was that good. I was all...reserve the rest of these at the library ASAP and go buy a hardcopy of book 1 NOW.

:-D

message 28: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments I've been switching between Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels and The Edge series. I've read the first two books of both and am now starting book #3, Fate's Edge, of The Edge series.

My current plan would be to then read the 3rd KD book, the 4th and final Edge book, and then read the two After Earth selections for June (also switch between them and Kate).

If I'm successful, finishing the Edge will help me accomplish my goal of completing at least 3 series this year! Yay! :)

message 29: by Charlton (last edited May 17, 2015 12:07PM) (new)

Charlton (cw-z) FireFight,I give this 5-star based on the previous book "Steelheart" which David wanted to be a Reckoner and was very driven that "Steelheart" was killed.

This is a new story with our Reckoners going to a different locale,New York City(git-a-rope).No, now it's called Babilar and they meet up with another Reckoner faction,all is well and good.
Then we meet the Epics,and there seems to be more than just 1 to hold your focus.But that's okay this is NYC right?
So without any spoilers I just think it fair to say there is sort of a power struggle.
New locale,new characters,new Epics...what could possibly go wrong?
I thought it was a great book,much fun,no sex,and the fight scenes were handled well. :)

message 30: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nyssa wrote: "I've been switching between Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels and The Edge series. I've read the first two books of both and am now starting book #3, Fate's Edge, of The E..."

Blowing me out the water!

I plan to start something tonight. I already started Burns but I pausd to re-read Written in Red.

message 31: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Nyssa wrote: "I've been switching between Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels and The Edge series. I've read the first two books of both and am now starting book #3, [book:Fate's Edge|10561..."

Thanks for the support Mrs. J! :)
I wish I could take a victory lap (not that we're in competition), but I actually haven't read much in the last two or 3 days. I've been sidetracked by Netflix - I'm still watchingCriminal Minds- (just started Season 7), and my daughter and I have been watching Royal Pains. The two of us are also watching the Harry Potter movies and she is reading them.

message 32: by Richard (last edited May 19, 2015 02:18AM) (new)

Richard (fantasyfangr) | 5 comments I'm now reading "Many Dimensions" by Charles W.S. Williams. It has some attributes associated with science-fiction but is still in the spiritual fantasy mode for the most part.

I'm nearly finished with it and have found that the best passages, which focus on mystical experiences are mind-blowing and deal with an aspect of consciousness which has no parallel in either C.S. Lewis or Tolkien.

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nyssa wrote: "Thanks for the support Mrs. J! :)
I wish I could take a victory lap (not that we're in competition), but I actually haven't read much in the last two or 3 days. I've been sidetracked by Netflix - I'm still watchingCriminal Minds- (just started Season 7), and my daughter and I have been watching Royal Pains. The two of us are also watching the Harry Potter movies and she is reading them. "

:-D

I'm still reading written in red. Haven't started anything lately. Keep telling myself to...keep not doing it.

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Richard wrote: "I'm now reading "Many Dimensions" by Charles W.S. Williams. It has some attributes associated with science-fiction but is still in the spiritual fantasy mode for the most part.

I'm nearly finishe..."

Huh. While I've never read it...for some reason the blurb reminded me of the Heavy Metal cartoon.

message 35: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Yep! In the same boat- not listening to myself. Lol

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nyssa wrote: "Yep! In the same boat- not listening to myself. Lol"

lol

message 37: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I'm reading two books: Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened and Still Alice.

I knew that H&AH would be quick - I've read several of these online on her blog, but I'm surprised at how compelling Still Alice is. I really, REALLY thought that it was going to be a book that I would have to read in installments with mind-buffers to save me from catching Alzheimer's just by touching a book about it... but it's like I can't put it down. And when I do, it's to read a quick H&AH story and then back to it.

It's so traumatizing though, and so easy to empathize with and put myself in that position. And also just grieve for this fictional woman and her slow mental decay.

After the brutality of Kindred, I'm in this emotional war-zone where every little thing is making me ugly-cry. And many of you guys know that I love a good tear jerker... but this is... intense. I don't just cry, I literally break down and cease to function for 5 minutes at a time while I get it out. This book is not easy reading. It's making me feel like every thing that I forget is a sign of my impending doom. I knew it would from the start, which is why I picked it up and put it down a bazillion times over the last 5ish years.

*sigh* I just wanted to share that.

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "After the brutality of Kindred, I'm in this emotional war-zone where every little thing is making me ugly-cry. And many of you guys know that I love a good tear jerker... but this is... intense. I don't just cry, I literally break down and cease to function for 5 minutes at a time while I get it out. This book is not easy reading. It's making me feel like every thing that I forget is a sign of my impending doom. I knew it would from the start, which is why I picked it up and put it down a bazillion times over the last 5ish years. "

O_O

Yaay for good books but damn you're in the emotional gauntlet right now. :(

message 39: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Yes.

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments H&H is funny but its funny in an emotional way - maybe pick up a quick no-brainer? Maybe The Carpet People (fun!) and/or something else with a lower emotional content?

message 41: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I know... I've come to realize that I'm depressed and reality intolerant from H&AH, and that I have Alzheimer's from Still Alice.

I need some fluff, STAT!

message 42: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments

message 43: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments awwwwwwwww!

message 44: by Philip (new)

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 6 comments In May, 2015, I went to see an exhibition of the paintings of Leonora Carrington at the Tate gallery, the Albert Dock, Liverpool, my home city. I loved her paintings, which I would describe as works of spiritual surrealism, and the masks she made for a production of The Tempest. As a souvenir of my visit to the exhibition, I bought a copy of her novel, The Hearing Trumpet, and I am glad I did. Like her paintings, it is a work of surrealism, and is very well written, witty, and eccentric. It is certainly a flight of fancy, in a very English Eccentric way. It is published by Penguin as a Modern Classic and deserves to be so.

The Hearing Trumpet by Leonora Carrington

The Hearing Trumpet

message 45: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments colleen the fabulous fabulaphile wrote: ""

message 46: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited May 19, 2015 08:11AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Philip wrote: "In May, 2015, I went to see an exhibition of the paintings of Leonora Carrington at the Tate gallery, the Albert Dock, Liverpool, my home city. I loved her paintings, which I would describe as work..."

That looks interesting.

message 47: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments Still on David Weber's Oath of Swords [available free as an e-book, as are the first two Honor Harrington books].

Enjoying it, although I think the HH books, particularly the second, are probably better. Which is interesting, because I'm generally much more a fantasy fellow than a sci-fi guy.

And I'm re-reading Sean McGlynn's By Sword and Fire, which is very good for getting a perspective on medieval brutality and mercy.

message 48: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I Am Princess X arrived in my mailbox yesterday. It's a YA murder mystery incorporating a comic that provides the two lead characters with clues along their journey. I know that we readers can easily fall into books, but this one hooked me HARD! I read it in a day, and am kinda angry I'll never get to experience it again for the first time.

And I must say, if I were a teenager, this would be a genre a didn't realize I was missing. I murder mystery, geared towards me, built around a comic?!?! *swoons*

My only regret is that it's (I believe) a standalone. I think this idea is genius! Not to mention executed brilliantly!

message 49: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Laurel wrote: "I Am Princess X arrived in my mailbox yesterday. It's a YA murder mystery incorporating a comic that provides the two lead characters with clues along their journey. I know that w..."

Just added this to my to-read list based on this...

message 50: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I had started The Six-Gun Tarot but I have both it and Prudence until the 27th, and I can't renew Prudence, so I'm gonna swap over. I'm sort of nervous for Prudence 'cause while I like all of Carriger's books, none have quite lived up to that first... but here's hoping.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.