Year of Cosmere discussion

Elantris Discussion > Prologue, Chap 1 - 8 (inclusive)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kitty G Books (last edited May 02, 2015 01:21AM) (new)

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Hi guys!!! Welcome to the discussion for Elantris! As always please don't post any spoilers for other books/ the ending of this book, only talk about the chapters listed as the topic name and those before :)

So this month it's me, Kaitlin, taking over the #yearofcosmere discussions and I cannot wait for you guys to experience the two books I am hosting as they're both fabulous in my opinion!
Elantris was the first book written and published by Sanderson so it's a little bit different in that it has more emphasis on politics than magic. There's still a lot of magic and the ideas of magic are still very cool, but there's not a 'strict' magic system like we've seen in the Mistborn books so far.

This was the first Sanderson book I ever read and it firmly made me love his work and go on to read everything else he's ever published :) I for one love this, but I've not revisited it yet since first reading it so it will be interesting to do so!

SO, now onto the initial questions for you guys to consider:
What do you think of what the prologue tells you?
What do you think of the characters of Raoden & Galladon?
What do you think of Sarene?
How is the world shaping up?
Can you see the problems of magic in this world?
Would you like to be an Elantrian? :S

**There's a pronunciation guide for Elantris on Sanderson's website here: http://brandonsanderson.com/books/ela... if you want to know the 'proper' pronunciations**

**There is a glossary of Aons at the back of the book by the way if you want to reference that whilst you read**

Good luck with reading and I cannot wait to hear all of your thoughts on the book very soon! :D

message 2: by Maxwell (new)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) Alright, well I started a few days early because I just couldn't wait to dive into another Sanderson novel! So I'm already 11 chapters in, but will be sure to only comment about chapters 1-8 here.

So far, I'm really enjoying it! There are quite a lot of names, terms, places, etc. that he throws at you and then starts using in their speech that takes a while to get used to. But I think I'm getting the hang of it. And I can tell this is a lot more political than Mistborn was. I'm hoping to see more of the magic system as we do a little bit in these chapters.

Sarene is my favorite character so far! She's so spunky and confident. I sympathize with her a lot, especially because she is easy to like. I'm excited to see how she plays out her role in the Kae court. As for Raoden & Galladon, I don't really know how their storyline is going to play out, but it seems like it's going to be epic!

I have a feeling that the number 12 is significant. Can't pinpoint exactly why, but it seems to have come up a few times so far, and I look forward to seeing if it plays an important role or if I'm just making up some crazy fan theory. It's always fun to try and predict things though, so why not. Also the prologue says that the Transformation happened usually at night, so I'm curious to see if that time of day is when any super important parts of the story happen (maybe 12 midnight?!). Who knows!

message 3: by TS (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 21 comments I'm waiting for the 10th anniversary special ed. trade paperback to be released before I reread Elantris. But will be keeping tabs of the discussions here.

I've only read this after The Way of Kings but still liked it a lot - the mystery behind what happened in Elantris just kept me wanting more.

message 4: by TS (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 21 comments James wrote: "So I finally got to sit down and read some of this book and I'm really loving it so far! I'm really intrigued with the decaying of Elantris and especially the rate at which it happened; I can't wai..."

I agree, the mystery of what happened to Elantris is a huge page-turner for me. Enjoy!

message 5: by Kitty G Books (new)

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) James wrote: "So I finally got to sit down and read some of this book and I'm really loving it so far! I'm really intrigued with the decaying of Elantris and especially the rate at which it happened; I can't wai..."

I have to say I second TS's thoughts, this book was truly SO good with dealing with politics and mystery and keeping me hooked, plus the magic and curse was all so weird and awesome, hope you love it!

message 6: by Pamela. (last edited May 10, 2015 01:59AM) (new)

Pamela. (bookeater77) | 3 comments I just received the book after a very long delivery time and I love the book. I like Sarene and Raoden and Galladon and hope she will be able to manipulate King Iadon. I am also glad she found a new family. She is strong person and despite the fact that her `husband` has died she is determined to find out what is going on. There is a lot of politics in it. Can´t wait to finish the book and see what happens to Elantris, although I think forever lost, and especially to Sarene and Raodon. I would love to have an Aon. I read the Way of the Kings but could not finish it. I am glad I know I will finish this book, because it is so good.

message 7: by Kitty G Books (new)

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) Pamela. wrote: "I just received the book after a very long delivery time and I love the book. I like Sarene and Raoden and Galladon and hope she will be able to manipulate King Iadon. I am also glad she found a ne..."

Really glad you're enjoying it so far pamela :D

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 54 comments I'm really enjoying this so far. Here are some of my thoughts, though I think I'm just going to second what everyone has already said so far!

The basis for this story is a really interesting one. The prologue, though short, gave a good briefing to prepare the reader for what happened to Raoden.

So far Raoden's POV is my favourite. I really like Galladon and the idea that they are 'dead' and their wounds will never heal is incredibly fascinating!

Sarere is my favourite character! She is such a great protagonist. I loved the scene with her painting in the throne room. Ashe is another great character/ ball of light!

I would not like to be an Elantrian! No thank you.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye (skyepieonthefly) I'm gotten hooked on this a lot faster than I did reading the Mistborn books. We hopped into the action really quickly and I am enjoying that.

The characters are great so far. Raoden is my favourite and his parts are the ones I am most looking forward to. I really hope that he ends up getting to actually meet Sarene because I think they would make an awesome pair!

When Sarene is playing dumb is the funniest thing ever. I agree with Kaise, if I saw her pull that to a priest I would be on the floor laughing too.

The Seon's are pretty cool. I keep imagining them like Navi from the Zelda games lol.

No, I'll skip being an Elantrian thanks. Seems like a lot of work either way. I'm excited to see what Raoden is able to find out about their culture though.

message 10: by Elad (new)

Elad Bannett | 11 comments So I've been looking for this book forever, I even ordered it online. Then I discovered it in my local library.
Anyway, for some reason this book was the hardest of Sanderson's books to get into that I've read. Maybe it was the onslaught of strange names and places that aren't explained as well as they are in his other books. However once I got into it, it began to get very enjoyable. Not my favorite Sanderson book so far, but we'll see.
I think the prologue sets the tone of the book pretty well, considering it's short length. It gets across the tragedy and the mystery of the fall of Elantris nicely.
So far Raoden and Galladon haven't done very much, but it looks like that's going to change soon. Despite not doing much, they still are my favorite POV so far because of the descriptions of Elantris.
Sarene does a bit more than the other characters at the moment, so she is pretty interesting.
Our villain, Hrathen, is shaping up to be really cool one. he's badass and intimidating. Although I would watch out for Dilaf; he's a wild card.
We don't really see that much of the world, so I can't say much about it. I don't think it will be my favorite out of all of Sanderson's worlds, but up against worlds like Roshar and Scadrial that isn't surprising.
I'm interested to see how Raoden and Galladon will work through the limitations of being Elantrians. So far it seems pretty bleak. Having to feel every bit of pain you've ever felt for eternity? That's harsh.
To sum up, so far it's shaping up to be good, but not yet great in my opinion.

message 11: by Michael (last edited Jun 01, 2015 06:04AM) (new)

Michael (oldmasternamer) | 1 comments I'm late to join the discussion but here it goes anyways.

I found the existence of those in Elantris a hellish reality that brought upon dark emotions and past visions of hell that echoed forward through time to grip my heart, it was difficult for me to get through the constant reminders of what it meant to be dead in Elantris.

The Shoad, similar to leprosy, with the dead skin and instant banishment from society is a perfect build up to a people who need a savior and I eagerly await the coming redemption to those who sit in darkness. This redemption, I predict will be undoubtedly be the zenith of this story.

I expect my emotions to be exercised throughly once again as Sanderson brings us into a small world that dwells in the Cosmere.