What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. "Uppity" girl drinks from water fountain as part of 1970s collection of fictional short stories about children dealing with situations as they grow up

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (last edited Jan 29, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments **Update: I remember another detail about the uppity girl story. As she (a black girl) finishes drinking from the water fountain, she sees a little white boy running toward her with his arms up, as if he wants her to pick up him up and let him drink from the fountain. But his mom steps in and whisks him away. The mom says something insulting to the girl, who retorts in defense of herself. That's when the mom calls her uppity. And, I think the little boy's name is James.**

There were probably 15-20 stories in this book. I remember a few of them:

One was about a boy named Cullen who lived in the inner city and was invited to dinner by a wealthy family. He returns home and talks to his grandfather about the differences in lifestyles.

Another was about a girl who was called "uppity" in a town park and gets upset. A policeman sees what happened and talks her through the issue.

In another story, a young girl has to help her physically impaired parent run the household.'

Oh! And I think there was a short, informative page or two all about Stan "The Man" Musial.

The book had both hand illustrations as well as photos to go along with the different stories.

I think the cover had bold horizontal stripes in 3 or 4 colors.

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments bump

message 3: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments On the off-chance that it may be an anthology of excerpts from other books, part of this one deals with a girl from New Jersey who has to move to Florida in the late 1940's, and she is chastised for using a drinking fountain designated for African Americans. She doesn't know segregation from living in the north, and has a hard time dealing with it.

Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume

message 4: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments Unfortunately, not it. This story was about an African-American girl drinking from a public fountain in a park and a white woman calls her uppity. But thanks for the suggestion.

message 5: by Yvonne (new)

message 6: by Yvonne (new)

message 7: by Yvonne (new)

message 8: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments I'm ecstatic to report that I've found this book! It's actually in one of the three I just found were still in my mom's basement!!

All three books were pretty obscure classroom readers published in the 60s and 70s. I don't remember which book it was in, but the names of the books are:

I Do, Dare and Dream
Reaching Ahead
Aiming High

After several years of searching, I can't believe my original books were right under my nose the whole time!

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33490 comments Mod
Great, thanks for the update! Is the author Lee Harrison Mountain?

message 10: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments Yes! That's the author.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
"I Do, Dare and Dream" is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dare-Dream-John...