What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Sci-Fi, Possibly part of 1970s Children's Digest series, boy has plastic face. [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (last edited Sep 02, 2016 10:56AM) (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments This may have been in a collection of short stories. I only remember that the subject (I think a boy) wakes up - from surgery? - to find that he is able to reshape his own face by poking and pulling it because it is now made of plastic.

It was possibly a short story in an edition of Children's Digest in the mid-late 70s. That's when I would have read it.

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments bump

message 3: by Yvonne (new)

message 4: by Yvonne (new)

message 5: by Yvonne (new)

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 261 comments Found this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Looked up the book and found these titles listed. Can't find much on the stories, but maybe you can figure out which one it is by the titles:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?3...

message 7: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments Bonnie wrote: "Found this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Looked up the book and found these titles listed. Can't fin..."

Wow. I've been searching for years - this is just the lead I've been looking for! Ordered a copy of the book just now. Will let you know if it's definitely the one. Very excited!

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2102 comments There's a story called "The Plastic Age" in an anthology called "Adrift in Space and Other Stories" published in 1974. Adrift in Space, and Other Stories that could be a possibility - an excerpt of the story I found online starts like this:
" When he awoke, Paul was unaware of the change that had come over him. He was a little groggier than usual, but otherwise, he felt fine. It was only as he began to dress that Paul noticed the change. His skin. Somehow, it was different. It felt smooth and pliable— like the plastic toys that lay scattered about the room."

message 9: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments Andy wrote: "There's a story called "The Plastic Age" in an anthology called "Adrift in Space and Other Stories" published in 1974. Adrift in Space, and Other Stories that could be a possibility - an excerpt of..."

Ordered! Btw, I have been all over that title and could not get Goldsmith's version to come up in my internet searches. Also, just tried to reverse-engineer a result by pasting the above quote into google, no dice! So...I don't know what wizardry you practice, but it's good stuff. Thanks for the lead. Fingers crossed.

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2102 comments When you're in Google, select "Books" (possibly under "more" on the google bar) instead of "All." That gave me part of a quote from the story; then what I did was google that quote (also searching "Books") - and google returned the quote and a little more. In fact, right now, by googling "It felt smooth and pliable— like the plastic toys," I can get a little more the story, namely "Paul turned toward the closet door and stared at himself in the full-length mirror. His appearance hadn't changed, but his skin just didn't feel like skin any more."

message 11: by Lucas (new)

Lucas | 15 comments Yvonne,

This is definitely the story!

message 12: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments Lucas, got my copy today and yes!!! I understand what you said about how it wasn't quite the same to read it now as it was back then, but I'm thrilled to finally have had a chance to read it again. I searched for this for years. I can't believe the quest is over! It was fun to have someone to share it with at the end :)

message 13: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments Andy wrote: "There's a story called "The Plastic Age" in an anthology called "Adrift in Space and Other Stories" published in 1974. Adrift in Space, and Other Stories that could be a possibility - an excerpt of..."

Andy, got my book today and it was fantastic to be able to read that again. Honestly, for as long and hard as I searched for it before now, I was starting to wonder if I'd made it up. Thanks so much for your help on this. It's almost like a dream come true to catch up with a long-lost childhood book. Thanks again!

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2102 comments Great! Glad to help.

message 15: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36044 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Yvonne. Here's the link - Adrift in Space, and Other Stories by Roger Elwood.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Adrift in Space, and Other Stories (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Roger Elwood (other topics)