The Sword and Laser discussion

Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
This topic is about Wyrd Sisters
2015 Reads > WS: An introduction...

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adam Gutschenritter (heregrim) | 107 comments I had never read a Terry Pratchett story at all before this book was chosen as this month's pick. Being the reader that I am this being book 6 meant that I needed to read the previous 5 before I attempted to tackle this month's pick. Got to say that I am glad that I started with Color of Magic and worked my way up to this one. Although the story works well on it's own, a wonderful bastardization of all of Hwel Shakespeare's play, pulling mostly from Macbeth and a little Hamlet for good measure. I would not have noticed or even begun to catch the subtle nods to the other major characters spaced out within the pages.

The plot was simple, although like Shakespeare the simple structure hide a complex "plot" within the books pages. So although I knew more or less as the reader where things were going, it was only through my familiarity with the source works that made the book predictable and I feel allowed me the depth of incite to catch the nods Pratchett tossed out. It is this interplay that brought me the most joy out of this book, and all of Pratchett's books I read this month.

terpkristin | 4132 comments Well said. After seeing such disdain for some of the comments in other threads for the earlier Disceorld books, it's nice to see some people express the fun that they are. Are they all going to be "classic?" No. As with all books, some are more enjoyable than others, but they are fun. I like having things that are superficially light to read but have deeper secrets for the reader to find.

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
I liked this one, but not as much as others. I'm glad I read from begining too.