Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Countdown
This topic is about Countdown
Book Issues > Published under pen name, now published under main name - question

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Asteropê (last edited Apr 26, 2015 11:31AM) (new) - added it

Asteropê (21tauri) | 144 comments Hello.

There was a book published in 2008 - Countdown under the pen name "Michelle Maddox"

This is the pen-name for the author Michelle Rowen.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

This book was republished under her main name, Michelle Rowan in 2013.
Countdown

As they are now, these books are separate and not combined, as they should be as they're the same book.

I saw in the manual:
"In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its primary author name changed to the originally published pen name, with the additional name added as secondary for all editions with it on the cover. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined."

Does this mean that all the new editions need to have the older, unused pen name of "Michelle Maddox" added as the primary name?

I thought it'd make more sense to just change the older books to the current and more known author name (with the pen name as secondary), but then I checked the Manual and saw this...and wanted to make sure before I did anything. I also didn't want to go and start changing all the new editions unless I was totally sure!

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13655 comments All the editions that have originally been published under her earlier name should have that name as the primary author.

Books only published under her main name should have that name as the primary author.

message 3: by Asteropê (last edited Apr 26, 2015 02:13PM) (new) - added it

Asteropê (21tauri) | 144 comments How do they get merged then? That's what I was wondering. I thought it order to merge things, the names need to match, but if the older version has the old name as primary and the new version has the other name - they can't be merged. At least, that's my understanding or things? Though I might be confused.

And this, from the Maunal makes it seem that the new version needs to have the primary name changed to the name on the first publication:

"When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its primary author name changed to the originally published pen name...

The orignal pen name the book was published under was "Michelle Maddox," not "Michelle Rowan" - which is why I asked if the new ones need them changed.

Again, I might just be confusing things.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13655 comments Books ONLY published under her new name should have that name as the primary author. Books previously published under her old name should have that name as primary author.

message 5: by Empress (last edited Apr 27, 2015 01:42PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Asteropê wrote: "How do they get merged then? That's what I was wondering. I thought it order to merge things, the names need to match, but if the older version has the old name as primary and the new version has t..."

If you want to combine the books you just need to temporary change the primary name on one of the editions to match the later (or earlier) print. You will need to revert that change after combining.

message 6: by lethe (last edited Apr 27, 2015 01:46PM) (new)

lethe | 13655 comments All editions with more than one author name should have the same primary author. If not, it can cause problems (duplicate listings in searches, f.e.).

ETA from the manual: "Different editions of a book not having the same primary author can cause quite a few distinct problems. Please keep the primary author for all editions of a work the same."

message 7: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) No, I'm not giving advice in regards to the names, but I think the books should be combined if they are the same book.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13655 comments Yes, and they can be combined if they all have the same primary author.