Start by marking “Countdown” as Want to Read:
Countdown

Countdown

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  1,583 Ratings  ·  331 Reviews
3 seconds left to live. Once the countdown starts, it cannot be stopped.

2 pawns thrown into a brutal underground reality game.

Kira Jordan survived her family's murder and months on plague-devastated city streets with hard-won savvy and a low-level psi ability. She figures she can handle anything. Until she wakes up in a barren room, chained next to the notorious Rogan El
Published October 1st 2013 by Harlequin Teen (first published July 29th 2008)

Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you HarlequinTeen for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

"Time's ticking."
"Isn't it always?"

Countdown promised a lot. However it did not deliver as much. I feel like I'm slowly falling into a reviewing slump (therefore sorry for my lame review) so I think this review will be more effective in point form. And here we go...

1. The world building was narrow. I truly value the amount of world building in dystopian
Anne

Fun fact:
This book was originally published in 2008 as an adult novel, under the author's pseudonym Michelle Maddox. When she got the rights back, she turned it into a young adult novel.
I'm not sure what the original was like, but this version was a fast-paced thrill ride!
It mixed up quite a few cool ideas, and ended up being totally entertaining to read.

First up is the whole idea that these two kids are trapped in a game of survival, which is being televised for the entertainment of a secr
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Low 3 stars, and only because this book was kind of...well, fun. It was completely brainless, eye candy for the mind.

If the blurb leads you to believe this is the Hunger Games remixed, jut go with it and you won't be disappointed. There's a little bit of everything thrown in here: action, dystopia, romance, the plague, scary technology, and the ruins of civilization.

Because Rowen tried to do so much, the whole book feels rushed and thrown together, a jumble of ideas piled one on top of another
Stephanie
This review and others are posted at Inspiring Insomnia.

Kira and Rogan are strangers forcibly thrown into a deadly "game" called Countdown. They must complete a series of tasks, each within a pre-determined time limit. Complete the task and move on, or fail it and be killed. Some of the tasks are puzzle-like, and others are designed to test their morality. It sounds like an interesting premise, but everything fell apart quickly.

Kira is informed that Rogan murdered and dismembered nine young wo
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I could not get into this book. Something about the girl being a Badass one minute and an annoying girly girl the next. Seemed too extreme and thus, too unrealistic. Plus I liked The Running Man too much to have it remade. I'm not rating it since I didn't get far into the book.
Luli
You can find this review in English below.

DNF @ 73%...Pero ha sido más por aburrimiento que otra cosa.
Y también ha pesado mucho toda la tralla de The Hunger Games que, aunque ni los he leído ni los he llegado a ver, tan sólo con los ratitos que he mirado la tele mientras los ponían creo que le cogí el tranquillo a toda la historia, y claro, ésta en comparación, no sale bien parada. Aunque parece ser que ésta fue la primera en ser publicada… según GR por meros meses… vete tú a saber…

En honor a la
~Tina~
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Twenty-five years ago, the world was still at it's best. Thriving, successful, peaceful. Then came the Great Plague and in a matter of weeks took almost all of human life. Those who survived carried on, but it was never the same. Illness, starvation and crime inevitably followed. But there was a city that had been built. A Colony paradise filled with opportunity. It was a place of dreams and hope.

Countdown is an underground reality-televised game that is designed as a series of six challenges wi
Ruth Silver
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Countdown is a YA Dystopian novel. Its description reminds me a bit of The Hunger Games. Why? A televised battle to the death. The winner will be bathed in luxury and has no choice but to compete. I don't mind the similarities because let's face it: The Hunger Games is VERY similar to Battle Royale. A lot of books borrow ideas. I'm not even sure the author did borrow the idea from The Hunger Games because this is a new version o
Selly - Leggere Romanticamente
3 stelline e mezzo per questo romanzo distopico autoconclusivo.
Lettura scorrevole, consigliato se vi piace il genere.
Sei prove da superare, un pizzico di romance tra i due protagonisti principali, qualche colpo di scena.

Jacqueline
Okay I was a little confused when I read this because it was clearly not the book others had reviewed. Turns out as the author explains at the end, she had rewritten an adult book as a YA book. It worked just fine as a YA. I understand that the adult book had a bunch of sex scenes which were not included in this version.

This is dystopian. The plot and action were interesting. The writing was workmanlike. I enjoyed the hero and heroine but I didn't love them. The bad guy's motive was different an
Michelle Arrow
"We'd been thrust together, neither of us had any choice in the matter, and we'd dealt with it the best we could. Now it was over, and the moment we reached our destination I might never see him again. This was the way it was supposed to be. Even though I knew that, it still hurt like hell."

When reading the summary for this novel, I had high expectations. From the moment I did, I knew that this book was going to be something that has never been written before, or even hinted at. There have b
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review also appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Countdown immediately caught my attention due to it’s similarities to Hunger Games, where subscribers tune in to watch a cruel reality TV show involving deaths on screen. However, it wasn’t just a direct copy – it took the main idea and changed it into something new and exciting.

Instead of being forced to kill each other in an arena, Countdown is a show where two criminals must compete in a series of trials in order to
Alex
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stelline ^.^
Avete presente quando si inizia un libro con 0 aspettative?
Quando cerchiamo di intuire, paragrafo dopo paragrafo, se quello che stiamo leggendo sia interessante o meno?!
Ecco. Io non ho dovuto impegnarmi troppo per capirlo.
Countdown è una bomba, mi correggo: una bomba ad orologeria!
Una lettura che sin dai primi paragrafi ti catapulta in questo mondo così strano: microchip,tecnologia all'avanguardia, IA infettate dalla malvagità più oscura... tutto questo scandito da un continuo co
Nisha
I haven't read the sci-fi/post-apocalytic genre very often in adult romances. In fact, I think I've only come across one other book that is comparable to this one, Game Over. Though, stylistically simple, the story-telling was First Class.

We a dropped into story as Kira Jordan, a homeless thief wakes up chained up in a cell with a convicted rapist murderer, Rogan Ellis. This part vaguely reminded me of the Saw films franchise. They have to work together to have any chance of survival. Then it b
Suzanne
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Countdown was just action and excitement all the way through and I loved every minute of it.

Kira awakens in a dark room to find herself chained to a wall, in a room made completely of metal. And she's not alone. There's a boy chained to the wall across the room, Rogan. How did she get here? The last thing she remembers is being at the mall, after stealing herself a new pair of shoes. Now she discovers she's in a deadly game and Rogan is her partner. And the odds of them surviving to the end is
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Filled with suspense, mystery, killer robots and just a hint of romance. YA Dystopian and gamer fans will really enjoy this action packed adventure book.

Opening Sentence: IT’S CALLED NYCTOPHOBIA.

The Review:

Twenty-five years ago a virus hit the earth and it took out 60% of the world’s population. Those that survived moved on because they had no other choice but nothing was quite the same afterwards. People started to abandon cities in hopes
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sixteen-year-old Kira Jordan has been living on the desolate streets for two years after her family is brutally murdered one night and she rejected the foster care system. She's become an adept shop-lifter and pick-pocket, a petty thief who survives by her wits and has, like almost everyone else, the unlikely dream of one day making it to the Colony, a domed city where people are safe and comfortable and she could go to school again. Those fanciful dreams are even more unlikely when she wakes up ...more
Il Cibo della Mente - Pamela
Countdown è uno di quei libri che ti fa dimenticare di avere un letto. Ma non nel senso che pensate voi... cioè "wow! un libro fantastico che ti tiene sveglia fino a tarda notte!"

No no... io mi sono dimenticata del mio letto perché sono tre sere che mi addormento sul divano mentre leggo sta schifezza di libro.

Si ok, non ho mezze misure lo so, ma se una cosa mi fa pena lo dico chiaro e tondo. Volevo dargli tre stelline ma poi mi sono resa conto che le ho date a libri che, rispetto a questo, sono
Dianne
Raise your hand if you are a fan of well-written YA dystopian fantasy! I am, and although the basic premise isn’t new, trust me, Countdown by Michelle Rowen is one adventure that will have you hanging from your fingernails as a twisted society pits two teen “throwaways” against the evil machinations of artificial intelligence and a society that craves the thrill of an extreme reality show, from the safety of their viewing implants. Sick? YES Twisted? YES Unimaginable? Sadly, not so much, just ta ...more
Mara
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futuristic
I admit I had quite a few expectation going into this book. It might have been my downfall.

Some of my friends loved it, the reviews from bloggers I follow were stellar. I guess I expected to be wowed.

Unfortunately this book fell completely flat for me. The plot is so predictable that I was able to say what was going to happen precisely. All of the game was so clearly clued, but even the second part wasn't any better. There wasn't a hint of novelty or surprise.

The "romance" was a joke. They fell
Jazmen
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"He stared across the room at me, his gaze panicked. When it gets to zero, we die. Do you understand? If you don't throw me that key, in less than fifty seconds we're both going to die."

A thief, and a murderer, an unlikely combination, one an orphan the other abandoned. Thrust into a game that is more than a battle of wits, Kira and Rogan are forced to to fight for their lives.

Reminiscent of "The Hunger Games,"(Please do not misunderstand this is reminiscent of The Hunger Games, it is NOT The H
Alexandria
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Nel recensire questo libro non dirò semplicisticamente che assomiglia a Hunger Games o a Maze Runner.
Countdown è un distopico e la mia esperienza di letteratura distopica mi dice che ci sono libri basilari da cui volenti o nolenti tutti i distopici dipendono: 1984 di Orwell, Battle Royale di Koushun Takami e The Giver di Lois Lowry.
Anche Countdown non fa eccezione a questa regola.
Quello che dirò, invece, è che sarebbe potuto essere un bel libro se non ci fossero state così tante cose che mi hann
Elvina Barclay
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Kira Jordan is the only survivor after her family is murdered and one of the few people who survive a plague that has devastated the human race. Left at 14 to live on the streets she is forced to survive on her street smarts and her wits.
Suddenly she is taken from the empty city streets and wakes up locked and handcuffed in an empty cell with a handsome stranger. Only this stranger while incredibly handsome is also a mass murderer. They are forced to join together to beat a survivor type game wh
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Hey GUYS, hey HERE! this IS The WritTEn EQUivalenT Of ME juMPING UP anD down TO geT YouR ATtentiON! tHE rEaL ReVIEw Can be fOUNd On mY bloG AND bOOkLikES. Well, I say it's a review but more like, my ramblings on the intake preparation of tea and coffee; very little reviewing here.

Okay- I was gonna review this book on account of my reviewlessness these past weeks but OHMIGOD-NEW SCOOBYDOO MOVIE- AT LEAST NEW TO ME! ON THE NEW TV- AT LEAST NEW TO ME! REVIEW LATER!

What a truly lame-tastic book, gu
AH
Initial Thoughts: Kind of reminded me a little of The Hunger Games with a few twists. This book should appeal to the young adult reader looking for an action packed thrilling read. 3.5 stars. Full review to come...
Franci Karou
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recensione completa qui: http://coffeeandbooksgirl.blogspot.it...

Non volevo crederci ma... aveva senso. Aveva terribilmente senso. Nulla era lasciato al caso in Countdown. Ecco perché ci avevano messi in squadra assieme. Certo. Avevano sempre saputo chi ero. Chi era lui.

Countdown è un romanzo che riserva più di una sorpresa. Sicuramente la trama richiama il distopico Hunger Games che tutti conosciamo, con le sue sfide in una grande arena, alle quali i concorrenti devono cercare di sopravvivere,
Wordworld
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allgemeines:

Titel: Level 6 - Unsterbliche Liebe
Autor: Michelle Rowen
Genre: Dystopie
Verlag: MIRA Taschenbuch (10. Februar 2014)
ISBN-10: 3862788784
ISBN-13: 978-3862788781
ASIN: B014T4K3JA
Seitenzahl: 352 Seiten
Preis: 5,99€ (Kindle-Edition)
15,99€ (Taschenbuch)

Inhalt:

Die 16-jährige Kira erwacht in einem dunklen Raum, verstört und hilflos. Aber nicht allein: Sie teilt ihr Gefängnis mit dem 17-jährigen Rogan, einem verurteilten Mörder. Unfreiwillig sind die beiden Kandidaten in der Gameshow „Countdown“,
Oana D. H.
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There was a game named Countdown,with six levels.Two people had to complete those levels in order to survive.But what if you are chosen to play without your consent?What if you are a part of that game just to stay away from a place where you might end up having an horrible future?
The big questions are: What if you find out that the one who controls the games isn't exactly who you thought he was?What would you do?Save him or kill him?

When it comes to books like this one i just can't stop myself
Meg
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
~ I would just like to thank Harlequin Teen for providing me with a copy of Countdown, in exchange for an honest review ~

“He stared across the room at me, his gaze panicked. When it gets to zero, we die. Do you understand? If you don’t throw me that key, in less than fifty seconds we’re both going to die.”

Fast-paced, action packed, fight to the death with a romantic twist. These are the words i’d use to describe Countdown, but even these words don’t give it justice.

This isn’t a series, its a sta
Teresa Sporrer
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kira hat kein leichtes Leben: Als Waisin lebt sie auf der Straße und schlägt sich deshalb als Strassendiebin durch.

Eines Tages erwacht die 16-jährige mit Handschellen gefesselt in einem dunklen Raum. Ihr "Zimmergenosse", der attraktive Rogan, entpuppt sich zudem noch als verurteilter Mörder.

Schon bald muss das unfreiwillige Paar erfahren, dass sie für das Spiel "Countdown" ausgewählt wurden. Entweder sie schaffen die 6 Level oder sie werden sterben ...

Was war das?!

Das war mein erster Gedanke, na
  • Hidden (Northern Waste, #2)
  • Alternity
  • Moirai (Aberrant, #2)
  • Twist
  • Wired
  • Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)
  • Ignite (Ignite, #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • Contributor (Contributor, #1)
  • Unbreathable
  • Nomad
  • The Dark World (Dark World, #1)
  • Viral Nation (Viral Nation, #1)
  • Replica (Replica, #1)
  • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
  • Solstice
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Tekgrrl (Elite Hands of Justice, #2)
National bestselling author MICHELLE ROWEN writes paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and young adult fantasy, both light and dark, sexy and sweet, long and short -- it all depends on the story! She's won a Holt Medallion for Best First Book and a Romantic Times Reviewers Choice award for Vampire Romance. For more information, please visit Michelle at her website at www.michellerowen.com.
More about Michelle Rowen

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I gritted my teeth. “I don’t like you.”

“My heart is breaking.”

“Screw you.”

He shrugged and then grimaced as if the wound on his shoulder caused him massive pain. “We can do that, too, if you like, but I’ll need to be unchained first. Then again, we can bring the chains with us if you’re into that sort of thing.”
7 likes